Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #3951
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Flew Sat. 9 flights nice and warm with 5 to 15 mph winds lots of other fliers at the club. Today is club clean up only takes a couple of hours, and more flying this afternoon. We finally have a respite from the winds.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #3952
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Flying weather, but lots of work around the house. Luckily I was able to take Friday off to spend a couple of hours at the field. Flew the HK Slick and I think I'm about to join the HK Slick fan boys. I had a blast with it!

AMA #959089
Old 04-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #3953
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Thoe tornados going through nebraska were the storms I've been dealing with for several days. Its fairly windy right now, but I'm hoping it will die sown later. Maybe I can finally get some flying in.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #3954
billintn

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (3)

Yep, winds gusting here in w tennessee. sunny and nice orhterwise. Maybe take up kite flying.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #3955
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Ended up a good day today. I swapped receivers, went from a spektrum full range with satelite, to a $10 receiver. When I bought my dx6I, I didn't have a receiver on hand, my dad had an extra, so I traded to give him back his.

First flight something was way off. I swapped from a 1100kv to a 880kv motor, hoping to extend flight times. Got it into the air, and I just could not get it to fly right. It was knife edging really well, but the plane was slow, really slow. Barely had enough power to climb out and quickly lost verticle power. Motor is very strong at 1/4 throttle, but no differance from 1/2 to full throttle. It was tipping very easy at stall, always to one side. Landed well despite the strong cross wind.

Started playing with the plane trying to figure out what was wrong, on aleroin was about 1/4" higher then the other. I had one pluged in normal, and running the second in a mix to use flaps. Playing with the sub trim, I couldn't get it quite straight, and I forgot my flight box with tools in it. Well full sub trim in aux1 and full right trim leveled out the control surfaces and got them moving equally up and down. But the flaps switch didn't move them equally, so I esentally had no flaps. Oh well, no problem now that I know.

Second flight was very good. I had to play with elevator trims, didn't change them too much in case the battery slid back. Completely fixed the weird habits the plane had. Knife edge was less then stellar, but more fluid and easier to control. Needs just a hair more motor to hold it. Top speed is about 1/2 to 1/3 of the 1100kv motor with the smaller prop. Third flight, wind finally died down some, from 15mph or so, to a gusty 4 or 5. After verifying the battery didn't slide back, I adjusted trims a bit better for my elevator. Have the plane dialed in perfect before landing, nose wheel was. Still a bit off.

rest of the day went well, got over the less speed of the prop. The plane hangs on the prop well, but doesn't gain altitude. High alpha was really fun and predictable. Did quite a few spot landings. Wind died down almost completely. Really wish I ran out to the salt flats instead. Kinda miss the other motor, but this motor might be more efficent at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I think I kept throwing it straight to full throttle thinking it should have more, wasting battery will little reward.

Overall, really really good day. Over two hours of straight flying time, plane re-trimmed in very well, no damage to the plane, no close calls, and lots of crosswind and high alpha fun. The plane is set up well enough, the only thing I would change, would be having the flaps working again, figure I'll just have to change the aux1 channel up a bit in the mixing.

Good day, and I'll have a couple hours of charging batteries tonight. Hopefully more flying in the morning.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #3956
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Snuck out to the field this afternoon. Gorgeous weather here in N.Texas.

Flew the F-4J. Surprizingly good after trimming her out. Had re-installed a bigger motor and this made a huge difference. The F-22 is great as usual. Never lets me down The T28D Trojan was a handlful today. Needed trim badly. Even flew the Cessna 182 which to me is still a handful with the RTF TX that came with it. Ran out of models on the Futaba 6EX so the Cessna is relagated to it's original crappy, no expo TX/RX All going well until the last flight of the day.

Mayday,

Took the Radjet for spin to see how my repairs would hold up. Did a few circuits. All was good. On base to final I mis-calculated how close I was to the tree line and there she be. Heard the flutter. Its quite a jungle in there with prickly thorns everywhere. Brought the TX with me to see if I could hear anything. Nothing. After cutting up my legs pretty good, I finally found the canopy which was only about 5 feet inside the tree line from the field. But no more debris or battery laying around. Must be nestled in the tree. Had to call off the search until tomorrow when I can wear jeans.

Hopefully, the overnight breeze and swaying will bring her down gently. Does give an excuse to head to field tomorrow. Left everything in the trunk.

Dang !
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #3957
warningshot

Club: Paris RC Association
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (1)

Weather was good here today. Wind was 0 to 5 MPH. Got four flights on my T-28. Hope to get more tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #3958
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Took the Radjet for spin to see how my repairs would hold up. Did a few circuits. All was good. On base to final I mis-calculated how close I was to the tree line and there she be.

Dang !
Ouch

One thing we all have to learn with this hobby, is to NEVER let your model get below the line of trees on the other side of your model. It can be a lot further away than you might think.

Years ago I had a 35 mm film camera in a 10 foot sailplane. Took quite awhile to figure out where the model was in some of the photos. Finally verified it was over a small pond of water. One Half Mile as the crow flys from where I was standing as verified on a Delorme digital map.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #3959
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Too much rain today. It has let up some, but it still windy. Hopefully it might even out some around 6 or so. Maybe I can fkly for an hour or two.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #3960
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Thanks for the tip Denny !

Search and Rescue recovered the RadJet today. NTSB still investigating. Very little damage after spending the night in the tree alone. Battery and Esc wires were hanging around a limb which made it difficult to free. Very spiny scrub trees we have here. Not like those soft pines you have in Wisc( I grew up in Elm Grove) Took a ladder and two long 3 in dia pvc pipes connected to gether to un-nestle her.

Spent the entire day at out field. Gorgeous. Flew a few rounds of F-22 Combat, Maidened the Red Arrows 50mm edf T-45 and flew the F4J. A few of the regulars there. I was playing hooky. All in all , pretty successful day though I almost lost the T-45. Noticed in mid-air that something was flopping around. Declared a Mayday and brought her down immediately and smoothly. The left aileron was torn away at the seam. Close call. I'll either tape hinge it or get some welders glue at Home Depot.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #3961
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Club: Lorain County R/C Club

Probably heading home Saturday, so by next Monday or Tuesday, I should be getting in some more flying.
The 4 year old granddaughter seems to get more energetic every time we come down for a visit.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #3962
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I think that's the non mobile version. You can ignore the audio and commentary. Wasn't a bad day. Ran through 6 of 7 batteries, did about 50 touch and goes. Little bit of prop hanging and high alpha. I did touch my prop on a not so good landing. Left it on there since it was an apc prop and I didn't have a spare. I really miss the 1100kv motor. I may swap it back on. It was a gusty day, landing crosswind at 5 to 15 miles an hour.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #3963
Crashalott
Super Contributor

View Crashalott's Gallery27
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

Lookin good there Haystack, nice place to fly there.
Calm here this morning so far so i might get in a flight or 2
Crash

Crashalott
Old 04-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #3964
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Ok got in 2 flights this morning with my Infineon's and now the wind is coming up so i will call it good enough. Had good flights and landings with no issues.
Crash

Crashalott
Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #3965
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Thanks crash. Thatts actually a feeway overpass, the wind blows differently straight at you from over the top. the " runway" is in a crosswind no matter what. The road faces north south, the wind almost always blows west east with some northern influance. The salt flats are to the east and offer little resistance to the wind. So if its really windy, you have quite a crosswind. Other then that, its nice. When the wind is straight west to east, I take off and land on that small road next to the tree. I was lamding there but I had more then a 45 degree angle crosswind there.

I'm gonna try to talk my dad into maidening his advance today. He is on a graveyard shift.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #3966
scoote621

Club: Wingbusters MAC

You have to love New England weather...Monday 90degrees little wind great flying night, Tuesday afternoon 80 and 0 wind perfect night. Last night upper 40's overcast but at least there was no wind!

TAE (Toy Aircraft Enthuisist)

My NEW BLOG
http://stevesrcaddiction.wordpress.com/
Old 04-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #3967
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

saturday is looking good!!! ihave to get some speed runs in..lol... sundays not looking to be a day of breaking any records.

Saturday

4/21/2012

Hi: 74
Partly sunny. A slight chance of light rain and drizzle in the morning...then a chance of showers with a slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Lo: 51
Showers likely with a slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then showers likely after midnight. Patchy fog. Lows around 50. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Sunday

4/22/2012

Hi: 60
Showers likely in the morning...then rain in the afternoon. Rain may be heavy at times in the afternoon. Cooler with highs in the mid 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Lo: 42

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #3968
sam94

Friends: (3)

Lovely blue sky here in Somerset,UK .. And NO WIND !!

Don't know how long that'll last though
Old 04-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #3969
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

We had highs in the 40's(42) and rain two days ago. Yesterday it was 78 and not a hit of weather. We did have a bit of wind for the first half of the day, but by 6pm, cleared right up and flew till 8pm. I got about 6 flights in, did about 100 touch and goes. We played around a bit with my dads advance. Tried a couple different props, but we couldn't get the amp draw over 29 amps on 3 cells. Right now were flying a 12X6 and pulling 426 watts. Motor is rated for 550watts. But we have about 1/10th of an inch of ground clearance with a 13" prop. Next time we will hit the hobby shop, I'm going to try a 12X8 or bigger on it.

Today is gonna be a good day here too. No wind at home, but we will see how the flying feild ends up. Worth the drive either way. Were gonna bring a slimer .40 trainer to play with while the batteries charge. Brought it out yesterday, but by the time we ran half a tank through it the 20 year old hitek radio battery was in the red, so we called it. Were going to throw a spectrum receiver in it and threw a 4 battery pack in the plane.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #3970
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Had nice flying weather this morning got in 6 flights now the wind is kicking up and gusting. Looks like this will be it for the next couple of days rain moving in, and we need it.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #3971
WayfaringDreamer

Friends: (0)

Ran 3 batteries for 45 minutes flight time with my champ. A little gusty winds but overall pretty good weather. I live in a development with empty lots perfect for flying.

Practiced dead stick landings, touch and go, figure 8s, loops.

Just picked up a fun cub and begin flight training at local club on May 1.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #3972
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Flew through 6 batteries. Two or three on the slimer.

Did about 100 touch and goes, lost bind and ripped off my landing gear. Turned the radio on and off two or three times with no response unplugged the plane and back in, responds with no problems.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #3973
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nice morning to fly here and got in one flight with my 40inch wingspan Tigermoth.
She fly's really nice and floats in for the landing like a butterfly.
Charging up the Tx now and will try to get back out for more flying this morning.
Cheers
Crash

Crashalott
Old 04-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #3974
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Epoxy is set, going to go back out today. Hopefully I can get more then 2 hours flying in today.

Crash, have fun, hope you get another flight in today.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #3975
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Logged a flight with the Cassutt this morning and one with the Tiger Moth.
It don't take long for the wind to come up here in the morning and i am all done
for the day.
Cheers

Crashalott

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies

Tags
flying , weather