Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)
Default Greetings from Rhode Island with a question

Hello, name's Mat, and after a very long hiatus from Balsa Nitros, am getting back into the hobby with EPO planes, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Airfield brand, whether it's good or bad? I'm getting the 1430mm P47 Thunderbolt through Nitroplanes, from what I've seen and read online, looks to be a decent plane, although I've heard mixed reviews regarding the retracts...they don't particularly like grass is the majority of the bad things about them I've read, anyone have any experience with these?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
e-pilot
Club Officer

Club: Kona RC Flyers
Friends: (0)

Airfield is the name Nitroplanes brands on the FMS models they sell. Airfield/FMS either way are great planes. I love my large Corsair. The rotating retracts (with sequenced gear doors) work very well and have withstood some less than perfect landings on asphalt. No grass around here to fly off of so can't report anything there.

My second plane was the Cessna 400 clone that Nitroplanes called the 'Airfield Sky Trainer 400" I got it years ago and it's still flying even after suffering through the worst of my beginner stages. I flew that ppor thing into just about every obstacle at my field and it held up remarkably well. Good quality, design and durability. I'd buy another in a heartbeat (and probably will, when the hobby budget will allow)
Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
matiac
What, me worry?

Thank you Sir, that is what I wanted to hear, as I've pretty much commited myself to getting this plane. The first site I checked out was Banana Hobby, and heard nothing but bad things about them, so NOT going with them was a no-brainer, there were a few others (Hobby King, etc.), but the thing attracted me to Nitro was their RTF selection, which would require the additional purchase of the lipo charger and maybe a couple more batteries, and if there IS an issue, I've got a hobby store not too far away I can get pieces 'n parts from if needed, so no worries there. Again, Thanks!!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
e-pilot
Club Officer

Club: Kona RC Flyers
Friends: (0)

Make a note of this site too - they specialize in FMS(Airfield) spare parts. www.pw-rc.com. I've experienced good service from them.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
matiac
What, me worry?

Thanks for the site, got it bookmarked. Looks like I might be getting two, #1 Son wants the 800mm P40 RTF Parkflyer by Dynam...it's only 80 bucks, I figure "what the heck" so we may be having dogfights at the local soccer field, although my plane will be a bit bigger...
Old 05-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Nitroplanes has a mother days code LoveMom5 going on 5% off your order.

I am putting together the Airfield 1450 mm P-51 it is a nice plane this is the kit one.
The site e-pilot posted has great service and the spare parts for the planes. I normaly get my order in 2 weeks from Phillip at www.pw-rc.com pretty quick coming from China.
Welcome to wattflyer matiac!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
matiac
What, me worry?

Well thanks for having me, I'll probably have a ton of questions, the last "foam" plane I had was a styro glider that actually lasted quite a while before a toddler stage #1 Son got a hold of it, and at first when I saw one of these foamies close up, I said to myself, "that's styrofoam", but I guess the EPO stuff is a whole lot more durable than regular styro, and #1 Son's pushing 13 now, and expresses an interest in getting into the hobby, so I rekon this is something we can do together...kinda like my Dad (R.I.P.) did with me. He had a HUGE balsa Piper Cub he used to fly all the time, back when the skin was "toilet paper and "dope"", or at least that was how he patched it all the time. I'll post up some snaps of the P47 upon it's arrival, gonna oreder it tomorrow from Nitroplanes...see how long it takes to get to R.I.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
matiac
What, me worry?

OK, I ordered it, should ship tomorrow, used the "Mother's Day Discount", but the 30 dollar (!) shipping charge kinda negated that, but whatever, soon there will be a rather large P47 model snotting up the modeling area, and the best thing about this one is I can fly it...got enough static stuff now. This could be the beginning of a trend...
Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
bluzjamer

Club: South County R C Club, Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (4)

Hi Neighbor,
Most of the retract and trike gear models don't do well off grass. My trainer 400 kept breaking the nose gear and I turned mine into a tail drgger which also didn't work out.
I'm constantly replacing the nose gear on my airfield cessna. My biggest complaint on the airfield kits are the cheapness of the control horns, pushrods, cheap servos, hinges, anyplace they can cut a corner they do it. Good luck on your new plane.

AMA # 944164

Some people hang pictures in their homes, I hang guitars in mine. I guess I can hang a few planes in the garage too!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
matiac
What, me worry?

There's more than one club in this state?? Hey where in R.I. are you, I'm over here in Westerly, and I've got a few guitars on my wall too...right in the middle of a Les Paul build I'm doing at a snail's pace, but I'll get it done at some point...

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies