Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
bassmckee
OneCrashAwayFromMyNext

Friends: (0)
Default MaxAmps Power Supply Input

I've had a couple people at the local club mention the MaxAmps 24V 47A power supply. Has anyone had any experience with the unit?

http://www.maxamps.com/Power-Supply-24V.htm
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
spad

I'm sure it's fine, but if you are going that route, why not buy one from feathermerchant (google is your friend) or one of his competitors?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

I'm pretty sure that underneath the box you will find that you have a couple of DPS-600PD server power supplies. The 47 amp rating and dual power supply leads is the giveaway. Also the fact that lead one is not grounded shows that the server supply modification hasn't been done the right way, this unit is highly dangerous IMHO.

You can modify your own server supplies (mine cost me $20) and if you do it the right way you can keep it safe and have both leads grounded.

If the power lead isn't grounded I wouldn't touch it at any price.

Steve
Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
spad

Can you explain how to tell if a power lead is grounded? Ungrounded? Thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
bassmckee
OneCrashAwayFromMyNext

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I'm pretty sure that underneath the box you will find that you have a couple of DPS-600PD server power supplies. The 47 amp rating and dual power supply leads is the giveaway. Also the fact that lead one is not grounded shows that the server supply modification hasn't been done the right way, this unit is highly dangerous IMHO.

You can modify your own server supplies (mine cost me $20) and if you do it the right way you can keep it safe and have both leads grounded.

If the power lead isn't grounded I wouldn't touch it at any price.

Steve
I thought that might be what lies beneath! You know I really prefer doing it myself, but get various inputs on how to float the DC on one of the units. I have yet to see a pic or implicit location of the mods internally. I was looking at the AA23300's and DPS-600PB's. I floated a PM to tjinguy but haven't heard back. Can you give more details on yours?
thanks!!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

Bass,

Here's the post that I used for guidance: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=8

It's in this quite long (and unessasarily complex looking) thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581061

So basically you just isolate one stud and snip the wire jumpers. I didn't do the stud like the picture suggests though, too much of a lash-up for my liking (though I'm sure it works ok).
What I did was removed the screws, lifted the circuit board up and filed the spigot off the stud using a small hand file. I then put a tiny 2mm long bit of heatshrink over the shank of the screw, put a fibre washer between the board and the post and another fibre washer under the head of the screw, then put the screw back in.. 15 minutes work and the circuit board is totally isolated from ground, much safer than the bodge job of removing the ground pit from the power lead.. no way should they be offered for sale in that condition.

There is a mod to increase the voltage of the PSU but I'd not recommend it. the PSU becomes unstable if you increase the voltage significantly above default.

Basically the only other mod you have to do to make your 24V PSU is to solder on the output wires (needs a good powerful iron) and short pins 6, 8 and 10 to turn the unit on. I didn't bother switching anything because you need to switch the AC supply anyway, so pointless putting a switch on the unit itself.

i did do a mod to slow the fans as they are a bit noisy as standard.

Steve
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
bassmckee
OneCrashAwayFromMyNext

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Bass,

Here's the post that I used for guidance: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=8

It's in this quite long (and unessasarily complex looking) thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581061

So basically you just isolate one stud and snip the wire jumpers. I didn't do the stud like the picture suggests though, too much of a lash-up for my liking (though I'm sure it works ok).
What I did was removed the screws, lifted the circuit board up and filed the spigot off the stud using a small hand file. I then put a tiny 2mm long bit of heatshrink over the shank of the screw, put a fibre washer between the board and the post and another fibre washer under the head of the screw, then put the screw back in.. 15 minutes work and the circuit board is totally isolated from ground, much safer than the bodge job of removing the ground pit from the power lead.. no way should they be offered for sale in that condition.

There is a mod to increase the voltage of the PSU but I'd not recommend it. the PSU becomes unstable if you increase the voltage significantly above default.

Basically the only other mod you have to do to make your 24V PSU is to solder on the output wires (needs a good powerful iron) and short pins 6, 8 and 10 to turn the unit on. I didn't bother switching anything because you need to switch the AC supply anyway, so pointless putting a switch on the unit itself.

i did do a mod to slow the fans as they are a bit noisy as standard.

Steve
Steve,
This is exactly what I was looking for! I THOUGHT I had seached every thread on both forum's but alas I was wrong. Given this I'll just run with the HP vs. the Dell units, I like the Dell's for the smaller size but the HP's are better documented. Thanks again!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers