Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Danka

View Danka's Gallery4
Friends: (1)
Default Storm wrestling

Flying my E- Flite Piper Pawnee in HEAVY wind... Any tips and tricks in the matter? I quite enjoy it... It's not pretty flying, very "un-scale like", but it definitely makes you a better pilot in calm weather ...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
bnick2k11

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by Danka View Post
Flying my E- Flite Piper Pawnee in HEAVY wind... Any tips and tricks in the matter? I quite enjoy it... It's not pretty flying, very "un-scale like", but it definitely makes you a better pilot in calm weather ...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Good flying... It's not easy in heavy wind to get them back on the ground but like you said once your able to fly in it, it does open up many more flying days throughout the year...

You may enjoy reading about and watching videos on both the Feytech FY30A aircraft stabilizer which I use in very heavy winds and which allows even in big wind simple throttle only takeoffs and landings... Guys are flying their small planes with them in winds the 30% boys are not flying in...

Eagletree also has their new to be released Guardian which does close to the same as the Feytech FY30a does but for $80 instead of $125... I use mine mainly for super stable HD videos of my area and these new stabilizers are so cool even for those of us who have flown comfortable 3D for years...

Happy flyin'
bnick
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Danka

View Danka's Gallery4
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by bnick2k11 View Post
Good flying... It's not easy in heavy wind to get them back on the ground but like you said once your able to fly in it, it does open up many more flying days throughout the year...

You may enjoy reading about and watching videos on both the Feytech FY30A aircraft stabilizer which I use in very heavy winds and which allows even in big wind simple throttle only takeoffs and landings... Guys are flying their small planes with them in winds the 30% boys are not flying in...

Eagletree also has their new to be released Guardian which does close to the same as the Feytech FY30a does but for $80 instead of $125... I use mine mainly for super stable HD videos of my area and these new stabilizers are so cool even for those of us who have flown comfortable 3D for years...

Happy flyin'
bnick
Thanks for the tips bnick. I have no experience in stabilizers what so ever, but definitely sound interesting... As long as there is some flying over for the pilot to do ... I will check it out.
/ Daniel

Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
bnick2k11

Originally Posted by Danka View Post
Thanks for the tips bnick. I have no experience in stabilizers what so ever, but definitely sound interesting... As long as there is some flying over for the pilot to do ... I will check it out.
/ Daniel
Hi Daniel...

You can easily turn them off so they are totally bypassed and you can fly just as you always have but if you use say a 3 way flap switch on your Tx, the first position on the flap switch could be the FY30A's Mode 1 position which is where the stabilizer is totally turned off and you are flying the sticks... The mid flap position is 3D Mode 2 where the stabilizer keeps you perfectly aligned while you fly your 3D routines... I've felt I was pretty decent at flying 3D on my Edge 540T but this thing makes you instantly look like a pro, ha... The full flap down position on your Tx flap switch puts you into Mode 3 Full auto stabilization where the stabilizer will keep you level with any gusts of wind pitching, rolling, or making yaw movements... You still have stick priority though but the stabilizer does make your turns, rolls, dives and climbs a bit slower as it's always trying to keep things level but for training new flyers it's fantastic, as it is also for making super smooth HD videos...
Happy Flyin'
bnick
Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Looks like you're doing fine. I've had to learn to love the wind, living in Kansas. (It's been 20+ for the last week and will be 20+ for the coming week.)

I'll resist the temptation to post all my videos of fighting the wind.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
bnick2k11

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Looks like you're doing fine. I've had to learn to love the wind, living in Kansas. (It's been 20+ for the last week and will be 20+ for the coming week.)

I'll resist the temptation to post all my videos of fighting the wind.
Naw post em we'd love to see them... I started flying the wind 2 years ago and even though I only fly in and up to around 10mph it has still really increased my flying time and not just waiting for those 2 dead calm days per year... I'm just a couple miles off the Columbia Gorge where they wind surf and we get huge winds up and down the Columbia River... It does make you quick on your toes especially with a light plane... Again check out the You Tube videos and watch how cool these new stabilizers are in the wind...
Have fun...
bnick
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

You asked for 'em!

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
mark2cars
WattsupMark

Default Heavy Winds

OK !!! I am humbled here in Colorado. Great vids ...both of you. I know how it blows in ToTo land (Kansas) and from the looks of the Google map Daniel ...you must have windy conditions often seeing how close you are to the water. I am inspired to fly in higher winds...even with my lighter airframes. Thanks to you both !!!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
bnick2k11

Whoa...!!! These were great videos and that includes your editing and music... Seriously great stuff here and wow the winds you flew in are way beyond the stuff I fly in... Pretty country though and reminds me a bit of what my home state of Iowa is like wide open and all... We don't have that here on the West side of the Cascades... Eastern Oregon does though...
Really thanks so much for sharing these videos I really enjoyed them...

Here's my new baby I'm getting ready to maiden...
bnick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobs P-51D Mustang 032312c.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	560.3 KB
ID:	159673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobs P-51D Mustang 032312a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	570.4 KB
ID:	159674  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Thanks, guys. The Stryker is a great wind plane and fun to play with.

That 'stang looks nice. What brand is it?

Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #11
bnick2k11

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Thanks, guys. The Stryker is a great wind plane and fun to play with.

That 'stang looks nice. What brand is it?
Thanks it's the new FMS 1700mm (67") P-51D... She's just an ounce shy of 10lbs and runs on a 6S, 4000mAh, 40C, has a CC20amp Pro BEC in addition to it's stock 85amp ESC and has 10 servo's... Electric retracts have doors with their own servos including the tail wheel and it's doors... She comes with lights and a really detailed cockpit... We all did have a problem though with it's main gear and easily 90% of us who bought the plane have had our main gear fry... FMS has been triple shifting this whole last month creating their own in-house main gears which hopefully will be as good as the 60-120 size Eflite's, which many guys bought for $150 extra to get them in the air... She is a easy beautiful flyer too...All of us on the thread for this plane have been very impressed with all the personal emails we have received from FMS promising to get their latest replacement retracts to us and it has shown that they really do care as so many have said in the past... We all know you have to go a long ways to beat Eflite's customer service and yes we will all hear good and bad about all of them but I have faith FMS will do us right when they replace our gears for us... They should we bought the planes in good faith...
Sorry so long...
bnick

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions