Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default HK Flycat

I picked this up last year for $15.00, which now holds the record for the least amount of money spent on a plane I've covered the foam pieces in clear packing tape, which has worked really well on a couple of of other cheap foamies too, and plan to have it together in a couple of days. It came with a really crappy looking edf unit, that got put in the spares box straight away, and will be powered by a pusher set up. Here is a couple of pic's to show how it is coming along.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	157889

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	157890

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	157891
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Bargain Michael I can't wait to see how it performs when you've finished your modifications. To me it looks more de Havilland than Luft 46 though!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default de havilland??????

Hey Barry, what are you doing in the parkflyer forum I've never posted here before, but this one really does belong here, and not in the pusher park jet one. It is the smallest plane I currently have, and looks like it would get lost in the long grass very easily. When I bought the Harrier, I was looking through the rest of the planes on offer, and the pop up appeared and asked if I wanted it for a reduced price. For $15.00 how could I go wrong? It does look like a cross section of various planes, but the twin boom set up speaks of early British carrier planes. Coincidentally, the early FW jets like the Flitzer were very similar to the Vampire, and seemed to develop in parallel. Bill G did a very nice EDF Focke wulf 225 a couple of years back It would not take much to kit bash one of these. I'm in no real hurry to finish this one, but it will be probably flying by the weekend, as I have two weeks of nightshift now, and usually seem to build and mod things more quickly than usual. Let you know how I get on cheers...
Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Mike, I'm looking forward to the first flight. The DH 110 comes to mind when I look at it, especially around those twin booms and rear fins.
That was an aircraft which I really liked as a child.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default together....

It took me longer than anticipated, but I finally got her done The instructions are basic at best, but if you have assembled ( not built) these kind of kits before, you can usually figure it out. All the parts were a surprisingly good fit, and the actual finish is quite smooth. The most time consuming part was the covering in clear packing tape, which seemed to take forever This the third HK foam plane I have now covered in clear tape, and the time spent is well worth the effort. I strengthens the foam considerably, while still having "give", and makes repairs much more simple-just put on some more tape. The motor mount is the stick type, which I have never used before, but seems common in a lot of electrics, and the ESC, battery and wiring all fitted inside the fuse without too many dramas'....a bit of a squeeze once the 2.4 rx was included, but still ok. The servo's were all ones salvaged from the first HK plane that got destroyed before the Idea of taping caught on, and are some obscure brand I have never heard of. Probably the same generic servo's as on most of these parkflyer type foam planes. Still, they seem to work on these low stress models. The control surfaces were all taped on, as were the booms, and finally the fuse. The whole plane seemed surprisingly stiff, and did not appear to need any sort of reinforcing or bracing with CF, which was a pleasant surprise. No colour added yet, as I have to make sure it flies first. The control horns are glued in ( with araldite, not the awful cheap glue it came with) another first for me, and one that may be replaced with something more substantial eventually; I'll see how it goes........
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Looking forward to the first flight Michael. It's going to be very interesting to see how this model performs; very well I'll bet if your previous mods are anything to go by!
What's the wing span of the model and which motor and mount setup are you using on the stick mount?
I really like the stick mount as it's so simple to change out a motor/ESC setup by just undoing a single screw. Not so easy to adjust thrust lines though. Just thinking out loud but don't some companies supply a plastic stick combined with a disc plate at the rear drilled to take mounting bolts? If so that would be the best of both worlds wouldn't it?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

I have the same plane, right now it is in a few pieces, not the fault of the plane. I screwed up and left an indoor short range rx in it for it's first flight. I meant to change rx's before I flew, I only put the indoor one in to check and set throws.

I put a 4500kv motor on that fan unit it came with. Holy s#$@ that thing gets the job done in a hurry.

Let us know how it does with push back power

I will be ordering a new one soon, and will go EDF

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Unfortunately HK in their wisdom don't show a completed model - just the parts ........... and this shied me away from buying one. Now I see it in actual form - I like it !

To OP - don't condem the EDF unit so quick ... give it a decent motor and it performs ....

I shall now be looking at maybe getting a Flycat !

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default this years surprise.......

Sorry I took so long answering this thread, shift work has me all over the place right now. I just want to say that this cheap little piece of foam has been quite the surprise I set everything up as best I could, the instructions being blurred and basic at best. The first handlaunch saw her pull away quite smoothly, and then settled into some very steady big circles while i played with the trims. My previous experience with pusher set ups meant I lucked in first time with the motor angle, and the subsequent 6 flights all went without a hitch. What a great little plane!!!!!!!!. While definitely a parkflier, it performs out of all proportion to its' size and cost. Even in 20 knots, she was totally controllable and climbed vertical with the 1800kv outrunner and 6x4 prop. I immediately thought what better value it was than my old stryker; faster and more manouverable, easier to handlaunch, much better flight times, and a lot less sensitive to wind. A fraction of the price too It has a pretty ordinary glide, and just kind of does the stryker -like "plop" on the ground when it lands, but I can live with that. Its no Komet ( but nothing is), but a huge amount of fun all the same. The total clear packing tape finish has increased it's durability immensely; I doubt I would like to have one of these in the bare foam, as it seems pretty fragile. Those cheap little servos seem to be holding on as well, and the stick mount did not vibrate off like I thought it would Put some photo's up next post, cheers
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I have the same plane, right now it is in a few pieces, not the fault of the plane. I screwed up and left an indoor short range rx in it for it's first flight. I meant to change rx's before I flew, I only put the indoor one in to check and set throws.

I put a 4500kv motor on that fan unit it came with. Holy s#$@ that thing gets the job done in a hurry.

Let us know how it does with push back power

I will be ordering a new one soon, and will go EDF
My experience with edf vs pusher has ALWAYS had the pusher version running rings around the fan set up in all aspects; performance, weight, flight times, cost, and battery life . Don't get me wrong; I really enjoy my EDF's , it's just that the pusher prop eats it for breakfast. This one is no exception..........
Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
My experience with edf vs pusher has ALWAYS had the pusher version running rings around the fan set up in all aspects; performance, weight, flight times, cost, and battery life . Don't get me wrong; I really enjoy my EDF's , it's just that the pusher prop eats it for breakfast. This one is no exception..........
Isn't half the fun finding ways to increase the speed of an EDF or pusher ? I know I really enjoy my 50mm EDF and I also get an adrenaline rush from my Parkjet .... but BOTH excite me when flying.
I'm considering fitting a 51mm EDF to my 50mm T45 ... and maybe the 50mm I take out will be bolted onto a Parkjet instead of a pusher prop.

With $15 models like this .......... its a gas ! and cheap excitement.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default some options

Your spot on Solentlife; for $15.00 it's pretty hard to beat. Even with the cost of postage, adding your electrics and radio gear, it still comes out miles ahead. I was just thinking though........if you were to leave off the twin boom set up, extend the fuse (or make a whole new one), and add vertical and horizontal stabs (ala F16/F18 etc), it would make a great little "conventional" pusher parkjet for very little outlay. Essentially, you would be only kit bashing the rear of the plane, which could easily be done with some scrap foam and balsa, and probably provide a bit more room for your electrics. The possibilities of making something semi scale like a Mig or such are quite realistic. Covering wise, even though I used clear packing tape, options like lightweight glass cloth, silkspan, silk and WBPU etc would be feasible with little weight gain, and a nice base to paint your hammer and sickle on....just a thought
Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default some pic's

It does not look much different than the initial mock up pics from the first post, but this is after a week, and about 30 flights

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	158395

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	158396

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	158397
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
RCTurbine

Friends: (0)

Guys, I just maidened my Flycat this weekend - watch out for the CG on the plans, it is way too far forward. I calculated the CG the old fashioned way and it works just fine at the centre of the little bump in the bottom of the fuse.
Its a squeeze getting all the electronics in - but she flys really nicely.
Watch out for the aileron thows - you don't need much and its really sensitive on roll.
Found the one rock on the airfield when landing so its fibreglassing the bottom of the fuse this evening. Great little plane.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by RCTurbine View Post
Guys, I just maidened my Flycat this weekend - watch out for the CG on the plans, it is way too far forward. I calculated the CG the old fashioned way and it works just fine at the centre of the little bump in the bottom of the fuse.
Its a squeeze getting all the electronics in - but she flys really nicely.
Watch out for the aileron thows - you don't need much and its really sensitive on roll.
Found the one rock on the airfield when landing so its fibreglassing the bottom of the fuse this evening. Great little plane.
Great to hear you liked it RCTurbine. Yes, the electrics are a bit of a squeeze, but I hollowed out the fuse a little to make things fit better, plus I am putting in a smaller battery. The flight times are pretty good anyway, so a few less mah's won't cause much grief. So far, the clear packing tape is still making it very durable, and it is very easily repaired with this method.Still can't get over how much plane you get for $15.00. Happy flying
Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Really annoyed ........ I smashed my T45 and looked for a replacement fun EDF machine .... the barebones kit for the 50mm EDF was on backorder ......

Looked at Flycat ... $15 ... thought - that'll do .... till shipping was added. The total came out MORE than the total buying a barebones Mig-15 or the T45 when it's back in stock .... CRAZY !

Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Pattern,

I really like your concept of " flying on the cheap" Hey, for for $15? Nicely done !

I just got hooked on converting the Air Hogs Titan glider, available at Target and Walmart for $9.95. Endless possibilities. EDF, Pusher, puller, canards, twin, etc. But the neat thing is that when I retire ,well um, auger one of my pusher parkjets, I still have the servos,motor, esc, rods, horns, etc. available for recycling to the next one. So, this first build is truly only $9.95.

I also agree that for the most part, the high performance pushers like the Flycat, Stryker Q, HK PKJ, Funjet, etc will out-perform the 50mm-64mm edf's in the same size range. My HK Radjet will fly circles around my T-45 but both are fun in their own ways. Love this Skyangel 50mm series.

I too use packing tape on everything. Been buying 2mil colored packing tape from www.tapebrothers.com to add a little flair. Looks like monocoat. Really does help protect the foam. Works especially good on Dollar Tree foamboard scratchbuilds. I also add a small glob of hot glue to the nose as a further shock absorber.

Look forward to seeing some video of your latest !

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
RCTurbine

Thanks Pattern14 - I have done some mods to simplify access to the electronics and make landing a little less of an event - flaperons and wing fences.
The little motor I had fitted on her was not up to the job either, so am waiting on a 2200kv 300w motor. Didn't like the fan either, so have decided to stick with a good powerful pusher. Will post on the findings when I fly her again.
Any ideas on here for elevator movement I should set? Have the ailerons set to +- 10mm on high rates and elevator +- 15mm.
Cheers all,
Peter
Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #19
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default killer postage

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Really annoyed ........ I smashed my T45 and looked for a replacement fun EDF machine .... the barebones kit for the 50mm EDF was on backorder ......

Looked at Flycat ... $15 ... thought - that'll do .... till shipping was added. The total came out MORE than the total buying a barebones Mig-15 or the T45 when it's back in stock .... CRAZY !
Hey Solentlife; I know what you mean about shipping My Harrier from HK cost $40.00 aud, but P&H was $60.00 Luckily we have a warehouse on the Australian mainland, but they still charge a packet to mail it to Tasmania. Funny thing is, New Zealand is further away, but costs 1/2 the price for postage Makes about as much sense as my mother in law after a few beers......
Old 05-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #20
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default packing tape

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Pattern,

I really like your concept of " flying on the cheap" Hey, for for $15? Nicely done !

I just got hooked on converting the Air Hogs Titan glider, available at Target and Walmart for $9.95. Endless possibilities. EDF, Pusher, puller, canards, twin, etc. But the neat thing is that when I retire ,well um, auger one of my pusher parkjets, I still have the servos,motor, esc, rods, horns, etc. available for recycling to the next one. So, this first build is truly only $9.95.

I also agree that for the most part, the high performance pushers like the Flycat, Stryker Q, HK PKJ, Funjet, etc will out-perform the 50mm-64mm edf's in the same size range. My HK Radjet will fly circles around my T-45 but both are fun in their own ways. Love this Skyangel 50mm series.

I too use packing tape on everything. Been buying 2mil colored packing tape from www.tapebrothers.com to add a little flair. Looks like monocoat. Really does help protect the foam. Works especially good on Dollar Tree foamboard scratchbuilds. I also add a small glob of hot glue to the nose as a further shock absorber.

Look forward to seeing some video of your latest !

Cheers,

Hawk
Good to see someone else getting a good run from packing tape Only in the last two weeks I found a local ( well, local for here; it's still 2,000klm's away) distributor that will sell me packing tape and bi-directional tape for less than 1/3 the price I've paying for years. It really does pay to shop around. I get kinda jealous of you blokes in the U.S that can get such a huge variety of R/C gear at such great prices. Happy flying with the Flycat
Old 05-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #21
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by RCTurbine View Post
Thanks Pattern14 - I have done some mods to simplify access to the electronics and make landing a little less of an event - flaperons and wing fences.
The little motor I had fitted on her was not up to the job either, so am waiting on a 2200kv 300w motor. Didn't like the fan either, so have decided to stick with a good powerful pusher. Will post on the findings when I fly her again.
Any ideas on here for elevator movement I should set? Have the ailerons set to +- 10mm on high rates and elevator +- 15mm.
Cheers all,
Peter
Hey Peter, that new motor will make it rocket As far as the elevator goes, I set it for the maximum throw possible, as this plane does require a lot of "up" in turns, and lots of the same in landing, as it tends to drop quite noticeably with the power off. Obviously if it is too twitchy or over responsive you can reduce it, as I did with the ailerons. It still amazes me at how well it flies in the wind Without too much work, you could make a nice canard out of this plane, and such a low price would make for inexpensive experimenting. Totally off-topic, how is the R/C scene in Casablanca? I suppose the internet and on- line ordering makes it viable world wide now, but you hear as much about Morocco as you do about Tasmania Cheers....
Old 05-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
RCTurbine

Thanks Pattern,
Our RC scene in Morocco is tiny - we're a regular group of about 10 in Casablanca, some of whom have been in RC for 40+ years, so no shortage of skills. There is a bigger group in Rabat. We have one of the most beautiful flying locations in the world - right in front of the Atlantic with nobody else in sight only sheep.

I've just come back to RC after 12 years away, having started in Egypt back in the 90s. Lots of exciting new stuff, especially in electrics, FPV and DFs. I was messing around with homebuilt turbines for years and decided it was more hassle than it was worth. With 10S DF's around, who needs a $3k turbine?
I was thinking about canards on the Cat.... next project. Geez at this price you can buy 10 for the price of a 'normal' ARF model. Supplies are difficult to get, but HK is there, albeit with steep shipping charges. Their Barcelona warehouse is an hour's flying away, but they won't ship outside the EU....
Probably easier to get a cheapie ticket over there and collect the stuff in person.

Happy landings and let me know when you put the canards on your Cat.
Best regards
Peter
Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #23
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default sounds good

That's great to hear You don't get a huge amount of international variety on Wattflyer, being primarily U.S based, but it is always good to hear how someone is going in various points of the globe. I guess being stuck in a tree is being stuck in a tree anywhere happy flying.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers