Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default latest and greatest

Some pics of my latest scratch build that I made as an all weather aerobatic and combat plane. It was a present for my youngest sons' 13th birthday, and he is totally rapt in it I considered doing a build thread on this one, but decided the level of interest probably would not be there. Briefly though, it's simply the next step in the Lippisch inspired tailless designs dating back to the 1930's, using a dorsal fin as well as wing tip stabs that protrude well below the wing. Not practical on many aircraft, as it poses ground clearance problems. All EPP, with core flute fins, the constant chord wing, very stiff elevons. all metal gears and hardware enable to perform aerobatics and combat manouvres that are all over the stryker and funjet The Komet is the only combat plane I have that is capable of holding this one in check, and then only just. It also has a magnificent glide capability, and we diced in the 20 knot winds with the power off for quite some time. The biggest drawback is trying to pry it out of his hands so I can fly it

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	159849
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	159850
Old 05-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
billintn

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (3)

Very interested! Any drawings or plans? power, etc.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
MiGkiller4849
Furries rock...

Friends: (0)

cool

Vulpes Republic rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default some more details......

Thanks for the positive response all. I never use plans for any of my planes, just old photo's or drawings for my luftwaffe experimental jets, or simply a mental picture of what I want. The wings are from an Australian glider manufacturer called 'Wowings", but the owner of the company made me swear unto death not to copy his airfoil design, so I bought the wing set a few years back, and put them aside until now. They are 30kg/cm EPP with a top secret airfoil, constant chord, as stated previously. Sweep is around 32 degrees from memory, and they are reinforced with hollow CF, and covered in bi-directional tape, criss-crossed for maximum strength. I actually tried the same design using Zagi wings, and it flew nowhere near as well, so I suspect the airfoil design is what makes the difference. Span is 1.5 metres ( about 4 1/2 feet), but no idea of AUW as I don't own a set of scales. The fuse was just a pile of scrap EPP that I glued together and shaped with my hot wire cutter ( an old train transformer and home made bow). I use an1880kv outrunner and 7x5 APC prop, mounted on a plywood base, 2200mah 3s lipo and 40 amp esc. 2.4 "radiolink", 6 channel set-up works great for a $50.00 Tx The dorsal fin goes a long way to aiding stability, saving props in landing and combat strikes, and protecting my fingers on handlaunch If you have ever had the misfortune to be bitten by a pusher prop (strykers are infamous for this), you know what I mean. All in all, the plane is pure synthesis in flight, and everyone is welcome to copy the design. If you are keen, the "Wowings" on- line shop lists the wings under the name of the "Duck", which is classed as a combat slope soarer/glider. At $120.00 AUD plus freight, it might seem expensive for a starting point, but I have 2 other combat planes based on the same wings, and they still keep going, year in, year out, as well as flying in winds that would ground most planes. My stryker and funjet cost more than that , never flew near as well, and they were both totally destroyed after only 6 crashes. Happy flying
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (38)

Very cool model.

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 05-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default tooth and claw

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Very cool model.
Thanks Don, those old "Flying Tiger" P40's seemed to have stuck in my mind since my school days. My other son drew the teeth, then had to fly for his life to keep it from biting his plane Previously, he had no trouble eluding his younger brother, but now the odds are much more even
Old 05-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Great development Micheal. You must be really pleased with the way it's worked out!
By my calculations at 1.5 metres it's a fraction under 60" span. Quite large for me! What's the all up flying weight and the watts at full throttle?
It sounds like a great flying model. Do you see it as an improved " bad weather" model besides being so agile in its own right?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
Great development Micheal. You must be really pleased with the way it's worked out!
By my calculations at 1.5 metres it's a fraction under 60" span. Quite large for me! What's the all up flying weight and the watts at full throttle?
It sounds like a great flying model. Do you see it as an improved " bad weather" model besides being so agile in its own right?
Hey Barry I have not got a clue what it weighs ( I really do need scales), and no idea of the watts either ( no wattmeter.....), but along with a more rigid plane in general, much more stiff control and stab surfaces, and noticeably lighter, it just seemed to come together in total harmony. It outflies my Junkers EF128, which has Identical wings, and is a fraction behind the Komet in terms of agility. With the onset of the winter storms, I'll see how it goes in really bad weather,i.e 40knots plus p.s, take a peek at the AR234 photo I just posted tonight. She 's not finished yet, but has exceeded all expectations. Man, I'm having a good run, cheers....
Old 05-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

I've seen the latest tape camo finish on your AR 234 and it's looking great Michael.
You've got to be delighted with these two models!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings