Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)
Default ParkZone ICON A5

Anyone got one of these?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
simibill
General Factotum

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by simibill View Post
Anyone got one of these?
Well, I didn't get any responses to my question, so I went ahead and bought one. I flew it this morning with the landing gear installed. Flies nice but did require lots of up elevator trim for some reason. Can't wait till I can try her on the water.

but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Papachuck
Papachuck

Friends: (0)
Default IconA5

I bought one two months ago and I LOVE it! I live on a lake and fly regulary off my bulkhead. It is a great performer in all flight regimes. Some say it isn't a great aerobatic performer, but I think that's because they don't know what they're doing. Mine performs great aerobatically, even inverted. The only nit is that it tends to fishtail a little when you overspeed it, but not to the point where you lose control. It is very solid and strong. I fly mine hard and have never had any issues with it looking like it might come apart. I'd recommend this plane to anyone.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
DragonWeezel

Friends: (1)
Default So I have one too, and fly from wherever...

I'm really wanting to see how it handles on the water if I leave the landing gear on... Anyone tried that yet? I want to utilize bearing grease on the nose gear to hold the water out, and see if she has that "fun" factor on the water.

I 2nd the tail wagging issue, and overspeed isn't going all that fast. It's weird, because it looks like a helicopters tail "hunting" when the gyro gain is set too high, and a little faster, but there's no gyro in my bird... (wonder if that'd help?)

I disagree that it's a fine aerobat though, it feels like a flying wet pig to me. (yes my prop is on right... (now)). Though my last sea plane was a great planes Seawind EP which was amazing to fly, but delicate, so I may be expecting too much?

Anyone else think the prop, adapter, and spinner is too heavy? It feels disproportionally so to me... (maybe I need more spinach?)

Can't wait to fly it again, the weather is perfect for it right now!

Keep the top of your wings dry, and clear sky's to ya'll.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
simibill
General Factotum

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by DragonWeezel View Post
I'm really wanting to see how it handles on the water if I leave the landing gear on...
I wouldn't think that would be a good idea.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Papachuck
Papachuck

Originally Posted by DragonWeezel View Post
I'm really wanting to see how it handles on the water if I leave the landing gear on... Anyone tried that yet? I want to utilize bearing grease on the nose gear to hold the water out, and see if she has that "fun" factor on the water.

I 2nd the tail wagging issue, and overspeed isn't going all that fast. It's weird, because it looks like a helicopters tail "hunting" when the gyro gain is set too high, and a little faster, but there's no gyro in my bird... (wonder if that'd help?)

I disagree that it's a fine aerobat though, it feels like a flying wet pig to me. (yes my prop is on right... (now)). Though my last sea plane was a great planes Seawind EP which was amazing to fly, but delicate, so I may be expecting too much?

Anyone else think the prop, adapter, and spinner is too heavy? It feels disproportionally so to me... (maybe I need more spinach?)
I doubt you'd get off the water with the gear installed...too much drag. And if you did, you'd definitely flip it over on landing. Amphibs with gear down landings never make out well.

It sounds like you may have some balance problems if it's fishtailing/oscillating as much as it sounds. Mine is rock solid. Batt is as far to the rear as I can get it in the battery compartment.

The Seawind is sure a good looking little bird. Looks like it would be a lot of fun to fly.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
DragonWeezel

Friends: (1)
Default never did try it...

Thinking you are right about drag, at least w/ water handling. Have an awesome night fun cub I'm working on that I'll need to get floats on. Will try and get pics when at a computer.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
zoomy

Default My Icon A5 experience

This is my first RC plane, but I have been flying micro helis for some time. I also have a lot of time on Phoenix, and now I have this absolutely fantastic seaplane! I haven't crashed it yet, but I've had a few heart-stopping moments with it.
So here's the deal. I wanted a backyard flyer, but I live right on the ocean (my house is opposite the beach access). Perfect wide open space a few paces from my house, but...

Everybody says, "Don't fly on salt water!"
Well I say, "DO!"

I moved the rudder servo out of the well where errant water WILL collect, I inverted and hot-glued the servo to the inner side, out of the way. I also spray off the plane with fresh water after each flight, then hang it on the garage wall with the canopy off. So far so good. Only problem I had was the battery balance lead went green and ate off the pin on my balance charger. I've fixed that and I use WD40 on the connections now.

Here's a couple of vids of my plane in action, off salt water, in Parksville, BC.

http://youtu.be/oHILaF2d8v4
http://youtu.be/dvVBboxYCNg

Cheers.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
zoomy

Yes, Mine had to be trimmed up quite a bit as well, but I am running mine with a bigger battery, I am using 2650Mah lipo, which probably makes mine a tad nose heavy.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
zoomy

Default Corrosion update...

Fatal crash today... corrosion got two servo leads, they were rotten and pins broke during flight. So I guess I have to recant and say...

THEY WERE RIGHT!
Don't fly off salt water.

T.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crashed plane small image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	172029
Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

WD40 wont help at all with water damage prevention. The only thing that works well is a Marine corrosion blocker. I prefer CorrosionX, but you can find other brands at your local Marine dealer that work well. Volvo makes one that Ive heard good reports on.

You need to soak ALL the electrical components and ALL the connectors in the CorrosionX. I dunk my Rx's, motors, ESC's, servo leads, battery leads, balance leads, etc etc in the gunk and then let drip dry and re-install.

If you are flying off salt water you will STILL need to rinse well after every flight with fresh water.

You will have a major problem with your batteries in salt water though. Unless you can get the CorrosionX down inside the packs so that it coats the actual battery tabs, they will corrode to powder within a very short time after salt water hits them.

Servos are also a problem. The CorrosionX kills servos if it gets on the POTS inside the servo. There is no way to fix this. The only solution is to coat everything else inside the servo but keep it OFF the pots. Thats hard to do and a pain in the ass.

I personally never fly off salt water for those reasons. I cant afford the costs

I think I need a signature.
Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered