Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
BobMaine
BobMaine

Friends: (0)
Default Cell Pro 10XP Questions

Still learning to operate my new 10XP. (1)Can someone please explain the rational for different balance voltages? The choices are 4.20, 4.22, and 4.10 per cell. How do you know which one to choose?
(2) Didn't see much info on charging other chemistry batteries like NiMh, Pb. Should I assume everyone makes there own cables and they plug in to the outside banana jacks? One battery at a time? Settings for these batteries are found where?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Originally Posted by BobMaine View Post
Still learning to operate my new 10XP. (1)Can someone please explain the rational for different balance voltages? The choices are 4.20, 4.22, and 4.10 per cell. How do you know which one to choose?
(2) Didn't see much info on charging other chemistry batteries like NiMh, Pb. Should I assume everyone makes there own cables and they plug in to the outside banana jacks? One battery at a time? Settings for these batteries are found where?

Thanks,
Bob
Hi:

For charging LiPo, mostly people use 4.20v preset. The 4.22v preset is provided mostly for "car guys" who like to pack as many electrons into their batteries as they can to get the most speed at the sacrifice of some battery life. Conversely, we preovide the 4.10v preset to provide the longest possible life out of your LiPo packs. The extra 0.1v to 100% charge actually provides very little in terms of additional run time, but it can substantially shorten the life of your batteries.

Yes, use the outside banana jacks, and for the most part, you will usually charge only one battery at a time. But you could plug a battery into the two left most banana plugs and another battery into the two right-most banana plugs. This would automatically series wire the packs for you. They must be same chemistry, but they can have different cell counts. Just make sure you select a preset that works for the total number of cells in both packs combined. You can safely charge Pb in parallel, but never Ni chemistry. It's likely you will need to wire up your own cables (banana plugs on one end and whatever mates to your battery packs on the other end). We do sell these to get you started:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...ables-2-pack_2

Hope this helps!

Tim Marks
Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Yes, use the outside banana jacks, and for the most part, you will usually charge only one battery at a time. But you could plug a battery into the two left most banana plugs and another battery into the two right-most banana plugs. This would automatically series wire the packs for you. They must be same chemistry, but they can have different cell counts. Just make sure you select a preset that works for the total number of cells in both packs combined. You can safely charge Pb in parallel, but never Ni chemistry. It's likely you will need to wire up your own cables (banana plugs on one end and whatever mates to your battery packs on the other end). We do sell these to get you started:

Tim Marks
On my recommendation, a club member bought a 10XP charger a week or two ago. Checked it out at my home, set up all the presets, checked it on the club members battery. Worked fine.

Took it to his house, the 10XP charger didnt' work! Took a couple of minutes to determine that the total voltage on the balance cable didn't match the voltage on the power leads. The battery power connector was intermittent.

He was going to fly a 30 cc gasser next day with that LiFe pack, this charger likely saved him an airplane. Talked to the club member today, he's putting all of his old (non Cellpro) chargers into a box, and leaving them there.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
BobMaine
BobMaine

Tim, thanks for the info. Will make up some new cables or find the ones I had on my Triton.

Bob
Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
startazz

Friends: (2)

I've got the older cellpro 4s gold charger and the cell pro 10s chargers and i've been more than happy with mine,plus they are idiot prof which is a plus for me.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct