Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default Cellpro 10xP Paint Issue

A fellow club member purchased a brand new Cellpro 10xP charger on my recommendation less than a month ago. The charger works very well, and does what it is supposed to do.

BUT, he used a bit of windex to clean the surface of the charger, and the lettering came off! I watched him as he simply wet his finger, and wiped it across the top of the charger. He wound up with red paint stains on his fingers. You can see a small spot just to the left of the fan's top right screw where his "wet" finger removed the paint down to bare metal.

Cellpro was called, their only response was "We never heard of that before". No attempt was made by Cellpro to resolve the issue.

Has any one else run into this? (IMHO, a premium quality charger should have labels that don't come off!)

Take a look at the attached photos. He had to re-do the word "stop" with an ink pen.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4054 - WF.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	161623
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4056 - WF.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	161624 Labels that had to be replaced

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Jamie Marks

Friends: (0)
Default Cellpro 10XP Paint Issue

Hi,

Jamie Marks here from FMA and Revolectrix USA. We are the design company for the Cellpro 10XP. Your post prompted me to check the faceplate on a 10XP charger which I have in my possession. I applied some Windex to a paper towel and try as I might, I did not get the paint to degrade or smear at all. We actually use a cleaner that would be much more corrosive than Windex with no problems. As a result, I have e-mailed our manufacturing partner to see if they have changed vendors who make the 10XP faceplate. In the meantime, I will gladly send your friend a legible faceplate for his 10XP if you or he can e-mail me at jamie@fmadirect with an address. I will also keep you posted on the findings of my inquiry about the vendor.

Thanks,
Jamie
Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)
Default Cellpro 10XP

I just tested mine to see what would happen. I started slowly and gently but nothing happened. Then I really cleaned the entire top surface. I didn't have Windex brand but it was another brand of window cleaner. Now I have a very clean 10XP with no damage to the paint or markings.
Henry
Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Jamie Marks View Post
Hi,

Jamie Marks here from FMA and Revolectrix USA. We are the design company for the Cellpro 10XP. Your post prompted me to check the faceplate on a 10XP charger which I have in my possession. I applied some Windex to a paper towel and try as I might, I did not get the paint to degrade or smear at all. We actually use a cleaner that would be much more corrosive than Windex with no problems. As a result, I have e-mailed our manufacturing partner to see if they have changed vendors who make the 10XP faceplate. In the meantime, I will gladly send your friend a legible faceplate for his 10XP if you or he can e-mail me at jamie@fmadirect with an address. I will also keep you posted on the findings of my inquiry about the vendor.

Thanks,
Jamie

Hi Jamie
Thanks for the quick followup. I'll be sending this posting to my club member. (It does pay to buy quality material!)

DennyV

DennyV
Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,130 Times in 2,039 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Hi Denny I am just wondering if your friend did not get a Clone Charger, that might be something to look into, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Denny I am just wondering if your friend did not get a Clone Charger, that might be something to look into, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Hi Chellie
Never thought of that, but nope, he ordered it direct from Cellpro.

Roger also on my recommendation picked up four of those A123 cells from http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/serv...1-dsh-A/Detail to be used for receiver and gasser ignition supplies. He has built up two 2300 Mah two cell A123's with dual battery outputs, charge and balance connectors. The Cellpro 10xP charger topped these brand new cells off in about 5 minutes, with a 5 Amp charge rate. He is quite pleased with the Cellpro 10xP charger and A123's. That's the only charger he's been bringing to the field lately.

So far in the SE Wisconsin area, local modelers (including me) have purchased over 100 A123 cells from voltmanbatteries. Everyone has commented on their excellent service.

One of local clubs had a fun fly a few weeks ago with a big gasser that went in. Found that the right hand aileron servo completely shorted out, putting a dead short on the two cell A123 pack. That A123 pack completely burned off the insulation down to bare wires of a 6 inch portion of the aileron servo wires before it finally ran out of electrons. The servo connectors were all melted and welded together.

DennyV
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Default How's this for a follow up?

Direct copy of an email received on this issue.

"Thanks. I'll get a faceplate in the mail to Roger. BTW, we have continued to research this issue. Our partner in Singapore took a faceplate from the last production run of 10XP chargers and didn't find the paint problem when cleaning the plate with Windex. Are you and Roger absolutely sure it was Windex that caused this phenomenon?"

Regards,
James F. Marks
Vice President
General Manager
FMA Direct

(Methinks it would be a little hard to get the attention of the VP and GM of some of those other RC equipment suppliers)

Its quite interesting. Roger installed the new nameplate that was shipped from Cellpro on his 10xP charger. Just saw the unit today. Guess what? The same area of the new nameplate on the extreme right hand side of the plate, in the center is PEELING OFF! It can be removed by just rubbing it with a finger tip. I saw it myself. Everywhere else, the nameplate is just fine.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct