Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
tonyshepherd

Friends: (0)
Default Majestic Major at Beaulieu

Hi guys.

I'm new to this site and am looking for a bit of a guiding hand. I've just bought a secondhand Majestic Major - it has no motor or r/c gear and I'm looking to buy a power train for it. I have a lot of experience of competition electric free flight but this job will be significantly larger than what I've used before.

I note that Mark Sherlock built an electic Eros recently and either has or is due to fly it at Beaulieu - the Eros at 84" span is very much like the MM at 88" so I suspect that a similar power train would work. This is quite ironic as Beaulieu and Salisbury Plain is where most of my free flight takes place, so if you're around or on line Mark then it would be great to make contact with you and hear how the model has performed.

If there's anyone else out there that has experience of running a Majestic Major with an outrunner then I'd be really pleased to hear of what you used to provide the grunt up front.

Cheers - Tony
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

hey Tony - welcome...

Quick search shows this thread with some ideas:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5026

Also - help us out - what is your planned weight for the model? We can help you out with a more modern and cost effective setup.

Mike
Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
tonyshepherd

Hi Mike,

I saw that particular MM when it came up on a goole search. It wasn't via Wattflyer but was a page from the owner. Seems he changed the motor from the Axi to an A3520-06 and he also got rid of the NiMH packs - he's now sold it on. Giant Shark has what I believe is the same motor in their catalogue, and at 25 it looks a lot better deal then an Axi. I have a couple of high performance free flight electrics with Axi's on board but they're a lot smaller then I'll need for this job and therfore a lot cheaper. My intention is to let this one just stooge around in radio assisted free flight mode so it'll be running at really low power and I don't need the high performance that an Axi would give me.

As for the weight, to be honest with you, I don't know it at this stage as I have not yet picked it up from the guy that I bought from via ebay. He lives a fair way from way me but I happen to be going away for the weekend and my journey home on monday will take me to within 2 miles of where he lives - that's what fianlly convinced me to buy the model.

I'll let you know the weight when I've picked it up.

Cheers - Tony
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
tonyshepherd

OK. The model is filling up the living room big-time at the moment having "landed" yesterday evening!

She's no lightweight, weighing in at 6lb 4oz with r/c gear on board, but no motor or flight battery.

Does anyone have a figure for static thrust or at least power into the motor versus model weight for leisurly flight? For my free flight contest jobs we use a figure for static thrust of at least 2 x model weight, but they have to go straight up and I don't need that with the MM!

Cheers -Tony
Old 08-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
whitecrest

You can get a close estimate using WeboCalc. Just plug in your plane's vital statistics (wing span, wing area, and weight) to calculate power required for the flying style specified. Click the "Help" button for an excellent tutorial.

~Tim
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

View Leadchucker's Gallery9
Club: R/C Club
Awards Showcase

60 Minute Thermal Duration  45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (2)

I've a similar size old timer @ 86" but she is bit lighter tipping the scales at 4lb 8oz full ready. She has a 3548-900 Rimfire and finally settled on a 13 x 6 wood Xoar prop and does very nicely.

Heres she is: https://vimeo.com/13695364

AMA 7224 -- League of Silent Flight 1832-- Eastern Soaring League
National Free Flight Society-- Society of Antique Modelers

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models