Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Support & Testing > Did You Know?
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Did You Know? Wattflyer how too's and features articles.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Closed Tutorial

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
WF Photo Posting Tutorial
Published by Murocflyer
08-26-2012
Default WF Photo Posting Tutorial

I heard some folks complaining about the photo sizes and now realize what they are talking about. The image size is terrible.

Is there a setting we can change for that? We are on the verge of doing a build clinic is this is going to make things difficult.

Thanks,

Frank
Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Upload photo size - as in the Forum re-sizes photos and presents a much smaller "thumbnail" version.

Actual photo size as it comes out of the camera.

"Hosted" photo size as displayed when an IMG is inserted into a post?

What is the ideal size you WANT?

Hillbille

Last edited by hillbille; 08-31-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Removed. Not needed

Last edited by Murocflyer; 08-27-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Still Learning

Hi Frank,
I uploaded some pictures of my current project here.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...1&postcount=81

They open full sized for me. Full sized should be 15 inches wide.
Are they smaller for you?

Paul
Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 AM
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Hi Frank,
I uploaded some pictures of my current project here.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...1&postcount=81

They open full sized for me. Full sized should be 15 inches wide.
Are they smaller for you?

Paul
Those are definitely bigger than the photos in Bill's thread. I wonder what the difference is. That is good to see though. I was afraid we'd have to do our build threads with those tiny photos. I'll look around for other photos and see if any others are small.

Thanks for the comparison.

Frank
Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 AM

Frank -

As far as I can tell it all has to do with resolution of the photo. The "large photo in the first post was taken with a Nikon D70 and all of the smaller ones were taken with a Kodak at a lower resolution.

Also the "large" photo is "hosted" on another website and has been simply "embedded" in the Wattflyer forum using the "insert Image" while the other lower resolution build photos are low resolution to start with and then they were uploaded directly to the Wattflyer forum. Wattflyer CHANGED it's policy for allowing large files to be uploaded and displayed a couple of years back. This was (and IS) a cost cutting move aimed at cutting overall SERVER STORAGE space since the forum does cost money to be stored and run from a server - the people running the servers earn their living from space rental!

The solution is to host all of the "build" photos on another website and simply embed them into your thread here as you go.

Also it is a good idea if you CAN (the op of the build thread should be considered YOU in this case! LOL!!) To faux post in the thread at least the FIRST 5 or 10 posts - leaving the posts "empty" in the beginning so that as the "build" progresses the descriptions and photos can be added to the beginning of the thread - and all of the extra "comments" will come AFTER that. Keeps the "build" up front and all the bs behind so that there is no need to "search" through 500 pages of rhetorical bs to find the last installment - it will be in one of the FIRST 10 posts!

Hillbille
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 AM

Okay - here are some examples of what I am referring to.

Here are some UPLOADED photos. I will upload the SAME photo THREE times in three different resolutions.

1024 X 768
800 X 600
400 X 300

These will be reduced by the forum (Wattflyer) to thumbnails that will show full size images when you click on them.

Hillbille
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon_A495_002.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	162167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon_A495__800X600_002.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	162168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon_A495__400X300_002.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	162169  
Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 AM

Now I will embed the same three images in this post. The nice thing about embedding images is that you CAN type descriptions in between images.

Here is the 1024 X 768 image - hosted and embedded.

The 1024 X 768 is re sized by Wattflyer image controls so that it is only 800 X 600 - here is a link to the original at the true 1024 X 768
http://www.bakehead.com/A495_Mount/Canon_A495_002.jpg

And then here is the 800 X 600 image - also hosted and embedded.

And then finally here is the same image at 400 X 300 hosted and embedded.

And that as they say is that!

Hope this helps to explain and show the differences. People that post really "large" images usually have the original hosted on another website and are just embedding the image in a post much like YouTube video's are embedded. Saves the image storage on THIS site. Plus a lot of the time they do not want the image "thumbnailed" by the forum as it severly cuts the resolution - in-flight photos come to mind as when the photo is re sized the plane in flight is usually so small it cannot be seen - but if left FULL SIZE it can easily be seen. It's all in the details as they say!

Hillbille
Old 08-27-2012, 07:32 AM

I might also add that I have posted in almost every size that's viable for the web. I have had my own website since 1994. I never really learned to "create" web pages though and have always done it the "easy" way utilizing other softwares to do most of the hard work for me. I currently still create my own pages and photo displays and generally "embed" my photos from those.

1024 X 768 is my choice for my website for JUST a photographic display but for posting to most other websites the 800 X 600 works well. There are STILL those out there that cannot afford high speed internet and are on dial-up and also those that have smaller resolution screens and not the larger flat screens - so 800 X 600 works best for them. Load times of photos can be cut also by lowering the number of colors - from the original Mega to say only 32,000 colors keeps the depth of the photo pretty much intact for web work and cuts the file size down to a fraction of the original.

An example might be a DSLR photo taken at high res. It will have a resolution of 4272 X 2848 and a file size of 3.89 Mb. After it is processed and re sized it will be 1024 X 768 and at 32,000 colors have a file size of under 300kb AND look exactly the same on the WEB. What changes is the depth of field and the PRINTING resolution of the photo mostly.

Hillbille
Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Still Learning

Hillbillie, I've seen threads on that other site that where pictures were embedded rather than attached.
Once the thread started getting a lot of posts, the page got very slow to load.
If we embed them here, will that happen?

Currently I make my photos a reduced size with photoshop. I make the size 15 in width and under 140kb in size.

There is a free program called Gimp that will do that also.

Paul
Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM

Paul -
It's a size thing and to answer your question - probably yes but it depends. It really depends upon the file sizes as hosted and the server speed of the location where the original photos are hosted.

If the server where the photos are loaded get a lot of traffic and slow down then that will affect the photos being loaded here - each time a new person opens the thread. The TEXT will appear and be readable but the photographs will load slower and in the order thary appear on the "OTHER" server which means out of order here and slow.

Also as seen in my post above there really is no need to post a photo which is above 800 X 600 HERE on Wattflyer as the software of the forum limits those larger photos to 800 X 600 anyway.

Hillbille
Old 08-27-2012, 04:27 PM
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Wow, that is a lot of info Bill! Thanks for sharing that.

Mods,

Can we make this a photo posting tutorial and put this thread somewhere better?

Frank
Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Thanks Frank. Photography is still a learning subject to me - I'm old and learn slow but I am persistent at least! LOL!!

Hillbille
Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
Thanks Frank. Photography is still a learning subject to me - I'm old and learn slow but I am persistent at least! LOL!!

Hillbille
You are doing a great job at it.

We need to hook up and do some flying. I can swing over your way one morning before the winds kick up.

Frank
Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 PM

The Calico Dry Lake is usually pretty good this time of year - at least now until about mid April! LOL!! Hot though!

Have you given any thought to attending the Ace-In-The-Hole event in Las Vegas in early October (around the 12th I think)? It is a three day event (but a LOT of people go early too! LOL!) and well worth the time!

Hillbille
Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM
WAA-08 Pilot #1

The Calico Dry Lake is usually pretty good this time of year - at least now until about mid April! LOL!! Hot though!

Have you given any thought to attending the Ace-In-The-Hole event in Las Vegas in early October (around the 12th I think)? It is a three day event (but a LOT of people go early too! LOL!) and well worth the time!

Hillbille
Is that off of Ghost Town Rd? Do you typically have a group fly on the weekends or is it pretty lonely out there?

I haven't heard of the Ace in the hole event but it sounds like it is worth going. Plus billeting there is only $39 a night if they have space.

Frank
Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 PM

Yes the dry lake is just off Ghost town road - exit Yermo - turn left (heading east that is) and go straight about 1 mile and it will be on the right hand side.

All of the west end of the dry lake is private property. People think it is BLM land but it isn't - the BLM land starts about 1/2 mile in and goes to the east. We (our local club - the Barstow Buzzards) managed to secure written permission from the owners to occupy the land for "hobby" purposes. It (the dry lake bed) has since been declared a "flood plain" by the state and county of San Bernardino - so - without the written permission we couldn't drive out vehicles onto the dry lake! If not for our AMA safety code and insurance disclaimers we would have lost a great place to fly!

The AIH event is really nice - lots of GREAT pilots and some (what I consider) fabulous planes. It is held at Bennet Field just north of the UNLV Boyd Stadium.

2010 link - http://www.bakehead.com/Vegas_2.html

2011 link - http://www.bakehead.com/2011_Ace_In_The_Hole.html

Last year (2011) I took about 13,000 photos - most were in-flight. Just as an example of my prowess as a photographer (displaying deserved rank amateur status!! LOL!!) I would guess I got 1 keeper (photo that was IN focus, not blurred, under exposed or over exposed) for every 150 I shot!!

And I had time to FLY my planes too! I took 7 last year and flew them all but this year I am only planning to take 3 planes but 7 cameras!! LOL!!

Hillbille
Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Dropped this great thread in the Did you Know forum. Thanks for the posts and idea! Since the server move, photos have been problematic!

Don
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 AM
Zegiavantiect
This message has been deleted by Twmaster.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:15 AM
anyclinee
This message has been deleted by Rabbitcreekok.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:10 AM
CoreneCori
This message has been deleted by crxmanpat.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 AM
Dennis V

I might also add that I have posted in almost every size that's viable for the web. I have had my own website since 1994. I never really learned to "create" web pages though and have always done it the "easy" way utilizing other softwares to do most of the hard work for me. I currently still create my own pages and photo displays and generally "embed" my photos from those.

1024 X 768 is my choice for my website for JUST a photographic display but for posting to most other websites the 800 X 600 works well. There are STILL those out there that cannot afford high speed internet and are on dial-up and also those that have smaller resolution screens and not the larger flat screens - so 800 X 600 works best for them. Load times of photos can be cut also by lowering the number of colors - from the original Mega to say only 32,000 colors keeps the depth of the photo pretty much intact for web work and cuts the file size down to a fraction of the original.

An example might be a DSLR photo taken at high res. It will have a resolution of 4272 X 2848 and a file size of 3.89 Mb. After it is processed and re sized it will be 1024 X 768 and at 32,000 colors have a file size of under 300kb AND look exactly the same on the WEB. What changes is the depth of field and the PRINTING resolution of the photo mostly.

Hillbille
A very nice image viewer is http://www.faststone.org/. It's free, and has a lot of capabilities including things like changing the file size, to adjusting the brightness, color, saturation, and contrast of your photos.

Also, image cropping and similar items are also included in their image viewer 4.6.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
EcomLawncamma
This message has been deleted by Twmaster.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 AM
rourgyuphof
This message has been deleted by Don Sims.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 PM
gubtqcfge
This message has been deleted by gramps2361. Reason: posting spam
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 PM
gubtqcfge
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 PM
gubtqcfge
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Turner
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 AM
fhandausoo
Old 09-06-2012, 07:18 AM
fdsgttjvki
Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 AM
fdsgttjvki
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 AM
fdsgttjvki
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM
fdsgttjvki
Old 09-06-2012, 10:19 AM
fdsgttjvki
Closed Tutorial

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Support & Testing > Did You Know?

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »