Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool Syma gyro series micro helis - great first helis

I am new to micro helis. I have tried some of the low cost 2 channel air hogs type micro helis. They are fun but you don’t have much control.

I was at a swap meet where there were vendors demonstrating these Syma gyroscope seris helis and I was floored with how easy they were to fly, and only $35. Well I purchased one and let me tell you this thing is great!

Unlike the airhogs and other 2 channel helis, this one will hold a heading all by itself. You can actually bang the tail boom while it is hovering and it will stop and hold heading with no input from you. You just have to control altitude with the throttle.

It won't do aerobatics, but for some low cost indoor fun, this thing is great! I have the 107, but they have a whole series and they all fly just as well.

This is strictly an indoor heli. It uses an infrared control system so flying outdoors might be a problem, but I did not buy it for outdoors. ANY significant breeze will likely upset it. But in the house it is great!

$30 including shipping at Amazon. The second link shows $20, but I don’t know if shipping is included.
http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-Gyroscope-Controlled-Helicopter/dp/8499000606
http://www.rc-fever.com/syma-helicopters-micro-size-c-337_180_563.html

These are not aerobatic helis, but for the price you can't beat them.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)
Thumbs up oh yeah!

I'll second that! I got the chance to fly one of these last Saturday and I was really impressed.

Besides echoing what Ed talked about I want to emphasise this NOT a little toy. You can fly with precision and do point landings. I also liked the fact that you can recharge it via USB.

I cant speak for durability or replacement parts, but I did buy one and it should ship today!

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

BTW, their 3.5 channel helis are on Infrared. Their 4 channel helis are on 2.4 GHz.
http://symahelicopter.org/category/syma-helicopter/

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Default I guess I can speak about the durability now.

Be careful of the Flybar, guys. Mine broke off on a crash from about 2 1/2 feet off the deck.

Repairing it is proving to be hard because of balance issues.

Even though I have this negative post about mine I'm still happy with the overall purchase.

I got my fun out of it.

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Talking

Hi
I concur fabulous little helis i have a few in my hanger as well
For parts replacement try XHeli
http://www.xheli.com/syrepa.html
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Mine has proven to be VERY tough. But if I break it I, I have one from someone else that is broken. The switch failed. So if I break something on mine I will strip that one. And if I can't fix it with that I will throw it out and buy another. They are so cheap.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

One is on its way to my house at this moment. Just over $25 for the RTF copter and a set of spare blades! Can't wait to buzz the students in my classroom!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 04-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
chap1012
F-111, Korat RTAFB

Send a message via Yahoo to chap1012
Friends: (1)

earth, you will absolutely love it. I fly mine every day. Keep fly times to 5 minutes. Some guys fly to 7 minutes. Respect the lipo in this little guy like you would in the larger birds. One thing you may want to buy is a USB wall charger. I have heard of stories of the USB malf. and melt. You don't want this plugged into your PC when this/could happens.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-cha...c110-250v-6237 (just for show).

They also sell USB chargers with several inputs for when you buy more S107's Have fun with your students. My daughter could never get away with that

Mike.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #9
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

you guys are a bad influance.......but not to me ,i ordered the syma 107 with 2 sets of main blades and 4 rear blades. i used to fly a coax lama v 4 by esky but its beat up and needs a shaft replaced.

so for $37 I'll be flying at work in the workshop before any members get in or i can fly after work when the workshop is empty.

either way,i can't wait to get some RC time indoors as its been to windy here every morning to fly anything in the park.

should arrive Wednesday on the 4th,so I'll post results when i can.

must say ,it looks like a lot of fun to fly.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #10
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
you guys are a bad influance.......but not to me ,i ordered the syma 107 with 2 sets of main blades and 4 rear blades. i used to fly a coax lama v 4 by esky but its beat up and needs a shaft replaced.

so for $37 I'll be flying at work in the workshop before any members get in or i can fly after work when the workshop is empty.

either way,i can't wait to get some RC time indoors as its been to windy here every morning to fly anything in the park.

For what you paid for all those spares you could have bought a second copter.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #11
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

don't think i wasn't considering it....way to funny!!!!!!!!!

i figured i'll try it out first and order a second ship later if i like it enough. from what i gathered here ,i will be replacing this one when worn out.

the blades were $6 for 2 sets mains and 2.50 for a 4pack of tail rotor blades...i just figured i would wish i had ordered those wether i have 1 or 2 syma's.....

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 04-29-2011, 05:24 AM   #12
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Broke my Syma copter in a bizarre vacuum cleaner related accident. I was practicing nap-of-the-floor low level flying to be proficient at sneaking around the house below radar. My wife was winding the power cord onto the Dyson Animal. The flight path took the chopper through the Cord Danger Zone. As I passed mere millimeters over the power cord my wife wound a loop onto the vacuum handle. The skid hook the loop, the copter tilted to the right and rocketed sideways into the stand supporting the hermit crab terrarium snapping the balance bar attachment to the main rotor shaft. After several attempts to super glue the balance bar back into place, I have had to face the reality that I have to shell out the $6.24 for a replacement part.

Take it from me-vacuum cleaners are to be avoided. They are terribly dangerous machines.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 04-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
chap1012
F-111, Korat RTAFB

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Broke my Syma copter in a bizarre vacuum cleaner related accident. I was practicing nap-of-the-floor low level flying to be proficient at sneaking around the house below radar. My wife was winding the power cord onto the Dyson Animal. The flight path took the chopper through the Cord Danger Zone. As I passed mere millimeters over the power cord my wife wound a loop onto the vacuum handle. The skid hook the loop, the copter tilted to the right and rocketed sideways into the stand supporting the hermit crab terrarium snapping the balance bar attachment to the main rotor shaft. After several attempts to super glue the balance bar back into place, I have had to face the reality that I have to shell out the $6.24 for a replacement part.

Take it from me-vacuum cleaners are to be avoided. They are terribly dangerous machines.
OH darn What you should have done was ordered another S107. That way you could have kept the vacuum ravaged one as spare parts.

Mike.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
chap1012
F-111, Korat RTAFB

You will be loving it I too have a V4 all modded out to fly outdoors. It's been too windy and rainy here too but, it's starting to look up

Mike.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #15
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

got the 107 tuesday and all i can say is wow! what a blast.

i waitted to fire it up at work and its so easy to fly,talk about crisp responce.....really,lets talk about it....lol.

now that i tried it,i wish i'd ordered 2 at the same time as shipping would have been free and the total would have been 40 bucks. i realize i need 2 so flight times would be longer.

so i'll be considering who i'd like to gift one of these too,talk about great fun gift!!!

glad i saw this thread when i did. i should be able to take pictures with my own phone since it flys so smoothly.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #16
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

way to windy to go out side and play,plus it's club meeting night. i just flew the syma 107 in the living room and did figure 8's ,i still can't believe how well this thing flys......charging it to take to the meeting,and hope there's no ceiling fans blowing so i can show off my heli skills....lol...a chimp could out fly me still ,but all good fun.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #17
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Friends: (168)
Talking

way to windy to go out side and play,plus it's club meeting night. i just flew the syma 107 in the living room and did figure 8's ,i still can't believe how well this thing flys......charging it to take to the meeting,and hope there's no ceiling fans blowing so i can show off my heli skills....lol...a chimp could out fly me still ,but all good fun.
Hi Stu
So very happy to see your enjoying her
Do have a wonderful time this evening
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #18
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.
Friends: (0)

Just put a new battery in my S107 - it's alive again

Dave
AMA #56519

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters