Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #26
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

More I fly this babe ... more I love her ....

This has to be one of the best budget EDF's going ...........

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #27
Panther

Friends: (1)

Here is mine, but I just converted it to a pusher.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #28
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

A Russian Pusher, no less LOL
Old 11-29-2013, 03:24 AM   #29
Panther

Friends: (1)

LOL yeah, it rejected all those USA stickers. They peeled off as fast as I put them on even though I cleaned it with grease remover.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #30
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Strange ... mine stuck like s*** to a blanket !!

I'm VERY annoyed ... HK no longer lists the Lanyu - so my plans to get another to strip to Red Arrows livery is now out the window ..

I know it's a useless exercise but I will go on their Forum and ask why stop a successful model.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #31
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Well,

Here's a vid of the Sapac video logged at 214kph :http://www.how-to-diy.org/UdV4gFiXRs...Hobbyking.html

Nothing to turn your nose up at - LOL
Old 11-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #32
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Well,

Here's a vid of the Sapac video logged at 214kph :http://www.how-to-diy.org/UdV4gFiXRs...Hobbyking.html

Nothing to turn your nose up at - LOL
I saw that ages ago when it was posted on Youtube ...

His claim is based on a single shot GPS logger ... it records the HIGHEST speed attained during period switched on. His speeds are OUT OF DIVES speeds and therefore great for chat at the Bar ... but invalid for claims.
He also makes no runs to compensate for wind speed.

Doppler shows a different story to his claims .. it's ages ago when I checked it ...

Even Guinness is questionable in their rules for speed claims ...

Nigel

Old 11-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #33
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I agree but 100mph is 100mph regardless of coming out of dive, downwind heading or whatever. Do these loggers use a pitot tube? Perfect conditions of no wind and a long, straight line level pass are not always possible. To the naked eye, and based on my own edf experience, it sure looked pretty fast. My EF-16 is slow by comparison. In fact, have yet to get any of my edf's over 100. Not even the new 4s Stinger. However, the pusher props like the 800mm Radjet and even the Jpowers Rare Bear on 4S can achieve those kind of speeds. The numbers will always be fudged slightly somewhat, right? Doppler radar has got to be the best measuring tool.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
I agree but 100mph is 100mph regardless of coming out of dive, downwind heading or whatever.
In terms of whether model can stand it - yes. In terms of actual speed that model can sustain by own power - no.

Do these loggers use a pitot tube?
Depends which logger you are talking about ... GPS is satellite positioning same as you use for your car navigation / boat navigation etc.

Pitot tube is differential air-pressure. Two pressures are measured and compared ... static pressure and dynamic. The static pressure is bled in at the side of tube (tube is a double tube - one inside other) and the open centre tube faces direct into airflow. This centre tube then experiences an increased pressure due to the model moving fwd.
The comparison also removes compensation calculation for low or high pressure conditions and also temp.

Perfect conditions of no wind and a long, straight line level pass are not always possible. To the naked eye, and based on my own edf experience, it sure looked pretty fast. My EF-16 is slow by comparison. In fact, have yet to get any of my edf's over 100. Not even the new 4s Stinger. However, the pusher props like the 800mm Radjet and even the Jpowers Rare Bear on 4S can achieve those kind of speeds. The numbers will always be fudged slightly somewhat, right?
People love to quote as high as they can get ... hoping that others will not nit-pick !!

Doppler radar has got to be the best measuring tool.
Depends what you want and also how 'safe' you want to be.

Lets look at speed measurement : (Remember true model speed is what the model 'see's' in the airspace it is moving in).

GPS : Measures speed by comparing position change calculations usually over 1 .. 2 or more seconds - on full navigational sets, user can set the averaging to remove the jumps in speed / direction that arise from position jumping around. It has an error in speed that is based on a vertical component ... 3D fixes are needed to compute altitude change ... but often this is in error and speed displayed defaults to level path.
Speed is SoG ... Speed over Ground and is in error for any air movement such as WIND speed and DIRECTION - when considering actual model speed and requires exactly opposite runs to be able to average out to STILLl air speed.

Doppler : this basically gives similar end result to GPS in that it computes ground speed based on the Doppler Shift of sound waves from the model. Two runs have to be made opposing to negate air movement .. wind.

Radar : Uses time calculation of radar signal out and received back ..this being an ongoing send / receive giving ability to calculate speed ... it has same problem as GPS.. Doppler.. in that it measures SoG.

Pitot : This is the ONLY measuring system that ONE RUN without need for second opposite run can actually give accurate air-speed. Reason being that the model is moving within the moving air-mass and knows nothing about wind direction or speed. It see's the air as a mass to pass through.

The TRUE speed of a body through the air - is actually the AIRSPEED. Why ? The propeller or fan or jet or rocket is NOT a wheel creating movement on a fixed terrestrial matter. It is creating the movement within a moving mass of air. A prop that is designed to produce a speed of 100mph will do that ... but to you on the ground in 20mph wind will measure (GPS / Doppler / Radar Gun) as 120mph when flying WITH the wind, and 80mph when flying against the wind ... but model will be still flying at 100mph throughout, which the Pitot system will register as 100mph regardless..

I've tried to put it in simple terms .. My main profession before taking up the Oil Superintendency, was as a ships Navigating Officer.
GPS, Pitot, Doppler are subjects I had to study along with a lot of other stuff !!
(GPS as positional gear ... Pitot as through water speed indicators ... Doppler as docking indicators for large vessels to avoid damaging docks etc. and as speed indicators. Radar of course as can be imagined ... ).

Nigel

Old 12-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I see the Lanyu Hobby line is now under the new name : VolantexRC

So find a local distributor !! I've sent an email to them for my region !!

Interesting that Lanyu Model Co. shows different to VolantexRC .. VolantexRC used to be Lanyu Hobby

Nigel

Old 12-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #36
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Tested the Sapac T-45 the other day and all I can say is: Calamity ! LOL Stupid me.

I loaded what I thought was a CHL 4S 3300 40C lipo. Ran her down the runway and she just would not rotate. Then, later, as I was packing up, I noticed a 4S laying in the trunk of my car. Yep. I had actually loaded a 3S lipo. Duh !

So, I have not given up hope to get this bird airborne.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #37
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I thought the SAPAC was originally a 3S machine ?

I know it's bigger than mine ....

But note how close to COG his main wheels are ... when he taxies out at start - she very nearly tips on it's arse on the bumps ... TOO close to CoG for my liking. With that - liable to haul of too early.

I see that many people are running 5S and 6S in them ... that explains the insane speeds people claim on them.

Nigel

Old 12-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nigel,

I think it was intended to be a 3S machine but I wonder how anyone can get it airborne on a 3S without throwing it off a cliff. It does have a huge battery cabin though. I will have a 3300mah 4S 40C next time. 50 amp esc installed.

Parked on the ground without battery, she'll stand up on her mains in "wheelie" fashion. Lipo balancing is everything with this plane. I'm good with that.

Why I thought it was kind of a 90's style model? There's no good way to secure the canopy. I trashed their rubber band setup and am using Velcro. The canopy parts needed to be cut to size with the cheapo vacuum formed molded parts. PITA.

One aileron servo and one elevator servo. I jacked up the throws to 120% with the rod clevices attached to the inner most holes on the horns. Elevator is not too bad now but I'm hopeful there's enough throw in ailerons to make her turn.

The horns are mounted inward near the fuse and have to move an aileron that runs the full wingspan. That bending moment is a little strange.

Hey, for USD $45.00 ? My expectations were set in the right place. Just getting started. Will give a second attempt on Friday, weather permitting.

Cheers,

Hawk

P.S. Did you hear about the BP/Conoco find in the Gulf of Mexico? 4900ft deep? Wow !
Old 12-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #39
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Hawk ...

Here's the Lanyu aileron set-up ... :

Single servo in centre .. torque tube rods ... full span ailerons. Work a treat.

I hope you have D/R set - as these are flying faster and the ailerons are effective ...

Single elevator servo set-up :

Two thin wires run in tubes back to elevators ... never liked it - but it worked fine. I later changed it to micro 4.5gr servos either side of rear fuselage ... one for each elevator ..

It then allowed me to hollow out under the original servo position to allow my oversize 4S pack to slide in.

The modification also allowed me weight shift :

9gr OUT from forward
2 x 4.5gr IN rear

This meant a moment change of approx. 20gr to rear of model. This offsetting part of the increased LiPo size. Plus the removal of front wheel, steering servo etc.

Nigel

Old 06-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #40
Brick
small Member

Friends: (0)

these seem to be back in stock at HK......and "en route" to the US warehouse..

def. gonna get one as soon as in stock

nothing to it, but to do it !
Old 06-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #41
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Brick View Post
these seem to be back in stock at HK......and "en route" to the US warehouse..

def. gonna get one as soon as in stock
If that's case - I'm heading on over !! They used to be $29.99 as a kit .. and well worth it.

Note that the Lanyu version has TW-xxxx ( a number) under the Stars and Bars on fuselage side ... if it says USS FORESTAL - then its' NOT a Lanyu version.

If you are looking at this one : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Kit_only.html This is definitely NOT the Lanyu.

Lanyu Models were handed to VolantexRC and prices substantially increased ... which coincided with HK no longer listing it.

It is slightly smaller than the SAPAC version.

Couple of 4.5gr servos and do the mods I did above and you can cram in a 2700 4S lipo and get her really moving !!

Nigel

Old 06-29-2014, 01:37 AM   #42
Brick
small Member

Friends: (0)

you are correct Nigel. I just saw 64mm T-45. are you familiar with this model ? been wanting a 64mm T-45 for awhile

nothing to it, but to do it !
Old 06-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #43
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

With the particular one on HK now ... no - but "dahawk" is ..

I have a feeling he was not too impressed with it.

If I was going for another T45 ... I'd go for it ... the SAPAC in my mind for a 64 - is too big and also old style foam ...

There are vids of the SAPAC going faster than my Lanyu - it can carry a larger pack .. 5S etc. than mine .. But some of the claims are just plain cuckoo land numbers !

It's a real pity that the Lanyu was stopped .. and via VolantexRC - the price is too high + shipping added in ... but maybe your location is better.

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets