Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default 2.4Ghz Rx Antena

I know you can buy various length antena's for FrSky and various other brand Rx's ..... but my question is :

I believe that the actual working part of the antena is the UNCOVERED few cms at end. So can the antena be extended by using shielded wire ... suitable plug to Rx board ... and strip the core bare at end at length you decide antena should be ? (stripped core to be correct length of course).

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers
Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I know you can buy various length antena's for FrSky and various other brand Rx's ..... but my question is :

I believe that the actual working part of the antena is the UNCOVERED few cms at end. So can the antena be extended by using shielded wire ... suitable plug to Rx board ... and strip the core bare at end at length you decide antena should be ? (stripped core to be correct length of course).

Nigel
No, that line is a coax. On a coax line, the material separating the inner and outer conductors is important as is the thickness of that insulation. Any deviation causes signal degradation if not complete loss. That is why it is important to never crimp or sharply bend that cable. Now, if you get the proper coax line, you can extend the length of the line between the PC board and the bared end of the cable. Yes, that last 28.8 +-.1 mm is the actual antenna.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
skywardone

Club: Lewis County Radio Control Society
Friends: (0)

The longer antennas are cheap. not something i would be comfortable trying

http://skywardhobbies.com/FrSky-400m...rx-antenna.htm

http://skywardhobbies.com/FrSky-600-...-mm-rx-ant.htm

The skys the limit
Old 09-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

So can the antena be extended by using shielded wire ... suitable plug to Rx board ... and strip the core bare at end at length you decide antena should be ? (stripped core to be correct length of course).

Nigel
As has been pointed out - it is VERY tricky and pretty precise work. When you think about it - it makes sense.

There are two types of antenna. Multi stranded wire is used - at a specific length and I assume gauge. The Spektrum AR6110's and 6115's are good examples of that. The signal goes right through the insulation - just just it goes through foam, balsa, ply and such. This is cheaper to produce as it is just "wire".

Others use coax - as explained above that are shielded. They too are tricky to get right as pointed out above. Those connectors are fragile and easy to bugger up too. This is more expensive and usually seen on higher end receivers.

Mike
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
Yes, that last 28.8 +-.1 mm is the actual antenna.
Is that quarter length? And when we see two that is a dipole correct? I was always curious at the Spektrum AR6000 receiver that had two receivers in each receiver and one antenna per "receiver" one each.

It had two much longer wires I assume these were "full" length. ???

Here is a pic attached.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPM6000-450.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	162857  
Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Nigel
Extend (or mess with) the 2.4 Ghz receiver wire? IMHO, not a good idea. These 2.4 Ghz frequencies can have very strange things happen in their circuitry. What you think can be a ground point can be very differenct at these frequencies.

The Spektrum AR6255 receiver is designed for use with carbon fiber fuse's and so on. Their AR6255 covers it well, check out the manual's page 3.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...255-Manual.pdf

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros