Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Friends: (4)
Default T28 trojan crash landed....help with fix!

Hi all,

I flew my trojan successfully few times. But it crash landed last time damaging cowl and front gear.

The front gear has a broken plastic joint..see pic.

Do I buy the front gear 's entire part from hk or repair or get that black plastic joiner that turns when gear goes up or down?

Also thinking about getting spares for (extra) main gear,prop, cowl etc.

Pls advice!
Thx..kris

-- Kris
Old 09-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I'd just get a replacement for the broken piece, but if that was broken, you better inspect the jackscrew and the piece that it runs back and forth to move the gear. Jackscrew could be bent, or either piece might be stripped. PW-RC.com has replacements for these kind of generic retracts. Is it an FMS T-28?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Hi all,

I flew my trojan successfully few times. But it crash landed last time damaging cowl and front gear.

The front gear has a broken plastic joint..see pic.

Do I buy the front gear 's entire part from hk or repair or get that black plastic joiner that turns when gear goes up or down?

Also thinking about getting spares for (extra) main gear,prop, cowl etc.

Pls advice!
Thx..kris

-- Kris
As for that torn out hole in the front of your model, take a run to your local Ace Hardware store, and look for a can of "Premium Grade Patch -N- Paint lightwight spackling".

I've found this works best when you take a damp paper towel, and moisten the area to be fixed. Then apply the spackling with anything convenient, to perhaps 1/8 inch above the surrounding surface.

This stuff is very light when allowed to dry for 24 hours. Doesn't have much strength though as is. But that can be improved by hitting the spackling with Foam Safe CA after the spackling has dried.

If the the can of spackling has gotten rather thick, you can take a small amount, and thin it with a few drops of water.

Then after 24 hours, it's easy to sand flush with the existing foam. Not much good for structure areas of the model, but works well for this type of fix.

Try it on a piece of scrap foam before using it on your model to get an idea on how it works.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #4

Default Re:

I'd just get a replacement for the broken piece, but if that was broken, you better inspect the jackscrew and the piece that it runs back and forth to move the gear. Jackscrew could be bent, or either piece might be stripped. PW-RC.com has replacements for these kind of generic retracts. Is it an FMS T-28?
Ok lemme check by moving retracts by turning on radio/power....that will tell if any rods, screws are bent.

Its a T28 trojan durafly from hobby king(US warehouse).
Can I still buy from pwrc? Need cowl, props too so I think I'm better off getting from hk right?
Thx both of u....

-- Kris
Old 09-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Can I still buy from pwrc?
I couldn't tell you for sure. but if you go to the site and e-mail Phillip there, he could probably let you know. My guess is they're generic and will work. He's super helpful. I order stuff from him in Hong Kong rather than places like Banana Hobbies just up the road in L.A.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #6

Default Re:

Can I still buy from pwrc?
I couldn't tell you for sure. but if you go to the site and e-mail Phillip there, he could probably let you know. My guess is they're generic and will work. He's super helpful. I order stuff from him in Hong Kong rather than places like Banana Hobbies just up the road in L.A.
oh, he isn't local in usa....? How long would it take to get it then?

-- Kris
Old 09-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

It varies. I've rcvd stuff in a week from there, but sometimes takes longer.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Worse case, you can still raise the gear and close the doors. Hand launch / belly land until you get the parts.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #9

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Worse case, you can still raise the gear and close the doors. Hand launch / belly land until you get the parts.
Hey !
Yeah , but one of the door's (front gear) tiny plastic hinge thingy that goes into the holes is broke. Maybe I can stick a tiny piece with CA glue.

The whole retract thing is complex and delicate, I might remove the extra doors and their tiny springs etc and not care about the gear being visible...when in 'up' position.

I am about to get parts from HK now....Thanks all.

Updt later:
=======

Just ordered these from hk international:
1. 2 x Propellers.
2. 2 x Cowl
3. 2 x Front gear.
4. 2 x main gears.
5. 3 x Electric Retract with Reversable Mount and Metal Trunnion.

I am puzzled why the main gears have retracts with metal trunnion and the nose has plastic trunnion ( which broke for me)?! Had the nose had a metal trunnion maybe it wouldnt have broken!

How does the nose wheel turn freely when its attached to trunnion , which is tight and strong enough to push it in and out of gear's bay(for gears up/down).can someone explain?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
squidger

Friends: (3)

I maidened mine today and landed gear up as the ground is too rough for the undercarriage. It ripped off the main gear doors on one side so I removed the other side. Flies great without doors and retracts still work well.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum