Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
wedoitall

Club: hillbilly crash helmets
Friends: (1)
Default noob with an old question

hey im really dig'n my t-28's micro and regular size. me and my buddys are talking about going faster. what kinda jet would be a great starter. saw where maybe the phase 3 f-16. didnt know if inducted fan or pusher would be the way to go also.

i have a decent flying field, just not as big as most club fields, i can do some aerobactic with my trojans. kinda figured a jet would help my flyin skills improve even more. i know you guys are pretty much experts and was wanting your opinion.

wouldnt mind trying my hand at building one(havent done a build yet) but also wouldnt mind just getting something plug n play, etc. for my first one.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
hey im really dig'n my t-28's micro and regular size. me and my buddys are talking about going faster. what kinda jet would be a great starter. saw where maybe the phase 3 f-16. didnt know if inducted fan or pusher would be the way to go also.

i have a decent flying field, just not as big as most club fields, i can do some aerobactic with my trojans. kinda figured a jet would help my flyin skills improve even more. i know you guys are pretty much experts and was wanting your opinion.

wouldnt mind trying my hand at building one(havent done a build yet) but also wouldnt mind just getting something plug n play, etc. for my first one.
The club I belong to has members that fly both the ducted fan type electric jets, and the pusher prop type electric jets. From what I've seen, those pusher prop types have far better performance than the ducted fan units. (Yeah, my electric jet is a ducted fan, but I did buy it used with everything but the receiver and battery for $30!)

Two club members put speed monitors on their electric jets, both are around 100 MPH. Believe me, a two foot wingspan model flying 100 MPH gets very small very fast!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

your still new to flying,or a noob to electrics. i would suggest a next step up might be the superfly foamy. a guy at my field was flying it in combat and hit a fence,and multible ground strikes....no damage! it's a delta designe and can be flown on smaller batteries. it's a center ,pusher type prop and can be tossed very easy.

where this thing really shine is it's ability to hover,roll rates is very fast,and can loop in a xtreemly tight 380. this bud was trying so many oves that crashing was inevitable.....picked it up and tossed it in the air.

very cool and might also satisfy the desire for a jet which goes fast and scale flys. even a crash will be scale..lol damage and all. now fly the superfly first without having to overthink controls and a fast pusher,or edf will be a walk in the park.

Home | My Account | Customer Service | Shopping Cart - 0 item(s) / Total: $0.00Search
Home SuperFly RC Videos My Account Contact Us Links
CategorySuperFly RC AircraftTransmitters & ReceiversMotors & Speed ControllersBatteries, Chargers and ConnectorsPropellers & AdaptersHardwareServos AdhesivesAccessoriesReady To Fly (RTF) ServicesSuperFly RC Apparel
New ReleasesOrangeRx R415 Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 4Ch Micro 2.4Ghz Receiver $13.95
MiniFly Foam Only Kit$39.95 High Density Sticky Back LED Strip - Violet$12.99

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
wedoitall

i was looking at those before. what motor, esc, servos etc you recommend getting. cause it seems on their site some of their stuff is a bit pricey. didnt mind the 75 for the foam. but 40 and 50 for servos and a few others things just seems alil pricey for what it is.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

As another says ... the pushers are generally faster than EDF's except when serious work is put in ... then it's anybodies field.

Stock or moderate speed pushers are relatively easy ... but high performance pushers can be right pains to get going ... torque rolls, over control, all fighting to beat you !

If you want to enter the 'Jet' world ... then a reasonable model could be a T45 ... the Lanyu 64mm EDF T45 is a good budget machine ... not too fast, stable, reasonable size etc. Can be hotted up easily by upping the battery pack to moderately fast.
The Jpower / Skyangel 50mm EDF T45 is small but a very stable good machine .. about the most forgiving and stable of the 50mm range. Once mastered ... a 4S pack in her will bring it alive !

Back to pushers ... hard to say what is good for a step up from training ... asmost tend to flat sheet wings and scratchbuild ... that flat wing needs speed and care in flying. The F15 I built was simple sheet and flies superb ... but I don't think is suitable for a step up from trrainer.

Comparing my pushers and EDF's ........... If I had to choose what was more suitable ? I'd have to say one of the T45's ... possibly the Lanyu 64mm as #1. It's large enough to see, its stable, not too fast, aerobatic on a 3S 1800 - 2200mAh 25C .... hand launches fine ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I've heard nothing but good about the Phase 3 F-16, FWIW.

Give some thought to building a Stryker. You can build a light, floaty one for well under $100. Tons and tons of fun, though not very fast.

Then, when you feel comfy with the plane in general, kick it up with a bigger motor etc. They can go very, very fast.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

[QUOTE=wedoitall;886825]i was looking at those before. what motor, esc, servos etc you recommend getting. cause it seems on their site some of their stuff is a bit pricey. didnt mind the 75 for the foam. but 40 and 50 for servos and a few others things just seems alil pricey for what it is.[
/QUOTE]

servos could be hxt 900's or emax mg micros for $12 each. esc 30amp turnigy plush or other low cost esc like the mystery brand,or red brick like Nigel uses. motors for a foamy shouldn't cost much more than $15 or your buying higher quality to beat up running the superfly into the ground.

you may also be able to use a combo deal from hk. i don't fly many foamies. at present i fly the multiplex funjet,hobbykings parkjet overpowered[need for speed],and most recent purchase is the edf stinger. these are fun but my first love in rc flying is my kit builds that go to the field all the time....hog bipe,towerhobbies uproar,aerocraft skimmer[discontinued production] and other misc kit builds.

my favorite arf that always get loaded in the car is 3dhs 42"ws ajslick,this bird is the best flyer in the hanger hands down. i cant build a kit to match the light,quality of some of the arfs in the market for the same bucks they cost compared to my kits. building costs more.

so what ever you choose,make it durable,inexpensive,and fast furiouser fun! you could learn alot from the scratch building foam forum threads here. ask chellie for motor suggestions,her knowledge blow me away and she'll save you making errors i make cause i can afford to fill my shop with stuff for future builds. for now,get the best bang for your buck and with hopefully long use life.

lastly,i wonder if you screened the beginners forums as your question comes up often. sometime the answers are already there.[sometimes not]

have fun figuring it out and welcome to wattflyer. stu

HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo SKU: HXT900$2.69 WEIGHT : 19g | BACKORDER

TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller $12

hope this info helps you or others learning aerobatics with edf jet,pusher type deltas ,and funjet or parkjet pusher prop type desires to fly them.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #8
wedoitall

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
As another says ... the pushers are generally faster than EDF's except when serious work is put in ... then it's anybodies field.

Stock or moderate speed pushers are relatively easy ... but high performance pushers can be right pains to get going ... torque rolls, over control, all fighting to beat you !

If you want to enter the 'Jet' world ... then a reasonable model could be a T45 ... the Lanyu 64mm EDF T45 is a good budget machine ... not too fast, stable, reasonable size etc. Can be hotted up easily by upping the battery pack to moderately fast.
The Jpower / Skyangel 50mm EDF T45 is small but a very stable good machine .. about the most forgiving and stable of the 50mm range. Once mastered ... a 4S pack in her will bring it alive !

Back to pushers ... hard to say what is good for a step up from training ... asmost tend to flat sheet wings and scratchbuild ... that flat wing needs speed and care in flying. The F15 I built was simple sheet and flies superb ... but I don't think is suitable for a step up from trrainer.

Comparing my pushers and EDF's ........... If I had to choose what was more suitable ? I'd have to say one of the T45's ... possibly the Lanyu 64mm as #1. It's large enough to see, its stable, not too fast, aerobatic on a 3S 1800 - 2200mAh 25C .... hand launches fine ...

Nigel
where would be the best place to buy the t45?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I have the 50mm Red Arrows version T-45 in the Jpowers Skyangel series. As far as edf's go, it's the tamest. I also have the 50mm Jpowers f-16, Phase 3 F-16 and Jpowers 50mm Katana. They are all fun in their own way but for a starter edf, I'd go with the 50 mm T-45. You can buy from Banana, Toysonics, Hobbyb or HK under different names. The Phase 3 F-16 comes from Hobby People and occassionaly goes on sale. When they drop it to $79.00, buy it.

I'm no Chuick Yeager and if I can fly these planes, anyone can. Don't be intimidated. The trick to flying edf's or anything with reasonable speed is to stay out in front of them. Try the sim and you'll see what I mean.

My scratchbuilt pusher profile prop jets are very easy to fly . I don't have them souped up like some.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #10
TopSpin

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
your still new to flying,or a noob to electrics. i would suggest a next step up might be the superfly foamy. a guy at my field was flying it in combat and hit a fence,and multible ground strikes....no damage! it's a delta designe and can be flown on smaller batteries. it's a center ,pusher type prop and can be tossed very easy.

where this thing really shine is it's ability to hover,roll rates is very fast,and can loop in a xtreemly tight 380. this bud was trying so many oves that crashing was inevitable.....picked it up and tossed it in the air.

very cool and might also satisfy the desire for a jet which goes fast and scale flys. even a crash will be scale..lol damage and all. now fly the superfly first without having to overthink controls and a fast pusher,or edf will be a walk in the park.

Home | My Account | Customer Service | Shopping Cart - 0 item(s) / Total: $0.00Search
Home SuperFly RC Videos My Account Contact Us Links
CategorySuperFly RC AircraftTransmitters & ReceiversMotors & Speed ControllersBatteries, Chargers and ConnectorsPropellers & AdaptersHardwareServos AdhesivesAccessoriesReady To Fly (RTF) ServicesSuperFly RC Apparel
New ReleasesOrangeRx R415 Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 4Ch Micro 2.4Ghz Receiver $13.95
MiniFly Foam Only Kit$39.95 High Density Sticky Back LED Strip - Violet$12.99

These are too cool and seriously fast.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
where would be the best place to buy the t45?
The Jpowers / Skyangel is available via quite a few places in USA ...

https://www.toysonics.com/

plus of course good ol'Hobby King ...

and

http://www.hobbyb.com/

I bought my 50mm T45 from Hobby King as a PnF :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EPO_PNF_.html

It's also sold under various other brand labels / sellers ... look for the 50mm spec on EDF .. that's the give-away detail.

Video of maiden flight 50mm T45 .... with 3S - all stock motor, DF, ESC etc.

50mm with 4S :

For the 4S ... the stock system is fine ... this is my 2nd 50mm set-up and I set-up a barebones with 5000kv motor, cheap 6 blade DF ... she has a thrust to weight of 1.2 to 1 on a 4S pack.

For the Lanyu T45 ... I bought the barebones kit from Hobby King for $29.99 + shipping ... meant I had to provide a 4300kv EDF motor (Hobby King 2810 is perfect fit and cheap) + the servos and ESC.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Jet_Kit_.html

Video of Lanyu T45 : with 3S ..

Lanyu with 4S :

To get a ARF or RTF ... look for decal under the rear fuselage Stars and Stripes starting with TW- that's Lanyus model ID mark. The larger SAPAC and others often have USS FORESTAL under that decal.
I chose the Lanyu as its slightly smaller than the SAPAC and carries same 64mm size fan unit. My thinking was maybe I could get more performance ... being smaller and slight less weight.

I really like the Lanyu - because it flies well on a 3S 1800 to 2100 pack ... which is a common size for many models. So you don't have to start carrying a lot of different size packs. To upgrade to 4S - as long as size is kept down - there is nothing to change on the model. But to go to the size I am using ... needs a little work ... ie move elevator servo to rear ...

These are suggestions - but I'm sure others will come in with theirs ... at end of day -they all work .. it's up to you and your capability.

Please remember one thing if you do go this route :

Pushers and EDF's do not have prop wash over surfaces and so rely on airspeed alone. Keep speed up in turns etc .... fly them in to land ....

Good luck ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I got my Red Arrows T-45 from Banana Hobby. Had heard some horror stories about BH but mine arrived in 3 days from S. California . Happy camper. Hobbyb is in Canada but everything ships directly from Hong Kong. Toysonics is in California(City of Industry) Of course, HK is in China but they have a US Warehouse in Washington. The US site does not have the same level of inventory. I do buy Zippy's from them.

If you get a kit version, you might check out Dons RC. He has a 4600kv Wicked plus he will balance the fan for you. Low shipping cost.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets