Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Yakfishingfool

Friends: (1)
Default Hobby King

Safe to order from? Are there any other sites that are good for ordering from, aware of tower hobbies but they seem fairly limited in their supplies. Thanks. Scott
Old 10-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

You might get some strong opinions on Hobbyking!..
Basically, yes they are safe to order from. Quality of their products ranges from excellent to awful and all points in-between so do a little research by reading user feedback and on-line reviews/build threads before making any major purchase.
If you buy from the international (China) warehouse pretty much forget any after sales service as return postage costs makes it uneconomical to return anything. Spares availability for some of their planes is also non-existent so bear that in mind too.

Even taking these factors into consideration some of their stuff is great value and the range they carry is vast.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Lets put it this way ............ you do not become one of the worlds biggest Hobby suppliers by being totally crap.

People remark on Customer Service ... but recently I needed CS and they performed well.

Without such as HK ... they are actually only one of various "Chinese" suppliers ..... many people would not be able to afford the hobby.

I have to use them - not much else where I live.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Yakfishingfool

Thanks Guys, was not trying to open worms, only see that they were legit, prices our all over the place between companies and wondered how they did it. So my order is going to come from China?? That'll be a couple of weeks? Oh well. Does anyone else recommend state side shops? No hobby stores anywhere near me.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 
Friends: (0)

I always wonder the need from ordering from china. What can't be ordered from here in the USA? Our economy is in the crapper and yet we still want to send our money directly to a foriegn country? I don't get it.

What item cannot be ordered from a company here in the USA? Lord knows we have plenty of them. The only items that comes to are the techology rip offs that are not allowed to be sold here.

I don't want to sound offensive, but I really don't see the need to order anything from china. Buy it here in the USA.

Frank

Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Yakfishingfool

Tell me the us shops to use. Please
Old 10-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
Tell me the us shops to use. Please
I sure can. Click on the below:

Your "No Kidding" Go To Source For RC Products

Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I don't want to sound offensive, but I really don't see the need to order anything from china. Buy it here in the USA.

Frank
I've nothing against supporting your local retailer, but bear in mind that 99% of the stuff is made in China regardless of where the retailer happens to be based, so most of what you spend ends up in China anyway
That just seems to be the way it is these days.

Obviously buying from local retailers does mean quicker delivery and better access to customer support. Hobbyking do have their own US warehouse by the way....

Steve
Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 

But note that a lot of the time when you buy "locally" you're buying exactly the same goods, you're just paying more for them. Almost all the manufacturing is still in China, it's just that someone bought the stuff from China and added his profit onto the price he paid. If you're happy with that go ahead....but don't imagine you're doing a great deal for the local economy .

Steve
Old 10-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona WingNutz
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (25)

There are several US-based retailers that carry some of the same stuff available on Hobby King. Sure, prices are higher, but shipping is typically cheaper and delivery time is MUCH faster.

For example, I carry both the HXT500 and HXT900 servos, plus the XT connectors (Deans knock-offs). Other US vendors carry other things, and then there's always the USA Warehouse for Hobby King. Look on the bottom right of the front page of HK for a link to the US Warehouse. It will show you everything you can order from the US.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Yakfishingfool

Thanks everyone the list is great. And yes, most products do come from china and most monies end up back in china but I try to support local when I can. The nearest LHS to me is nearly and hour away....and rather pricey.

The list is da Bomb!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Thanks everyone the list is great. And yes, most products do come from china and most monies end up back in china but I try to support local when I can. The nearest LHS to me is nearly and hour away....and rather pricey.

The list is da Bomb!!!
Thanks! Glad you like it.

Here is an interesting note I saw today as a matter of fact.

Shopping "locally" has a mulitplier effect. One dollar spent at locally owned business returns FIVE TIMES that amount within the community through city taxes, employee's wages and purchase of materials and supplies at other independent buisinesses. So you see, that $9 servo is more than simply a $9 servo in the big picture.
And as I noted, in today's economy, we need to do all we can to help support America's economy when we can.

Frank

Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Shopping "locally" has a mulitplier effect. One dollar spent at locally owned business returns FIVE TIMES that amount within the community through city taxes, employee's wages and purchase of materials and supplies at other independent buisinesses. So you see, that $9 servo is more than simply a $9 servo in the big picture.
And as I noted, in today's economy, we need to do all we can to help support America's economy when we can.

Frank
And as we all know - Statistics can be manipulated to produce whatever numbers you want ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
And as we all know - Statistics can be manipulated to produce whatever numbers you want ...

Nigel
I'm real sorry you don't have any great RC stores like we have here. Don't balme me for that. And there is no shame in having pride in your country or wanting to see it improve. I'm not sure why you seem to have a problem with those folks that do.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm real sorry you don't have any great RC stores like we have here. Don't balme me for that. And there is no shame in having pride in your country or wanting to see it improve. I'm not sure why you seem to have a problem with those folks that do.
You read me wrong ... I'm first to say to people be proud of your country ...

My post was simply to say that statistics can be manipulated any way you want ... and judging by the long thread running elsewhere - you are fighting a cause that many agree with but also wish to inform you of their understanding / their views etc.

And to be honest - as I do not wish to see that thread develop here ... I shall now retreat and cry into my beer the lack of LHS in Latvia ...

FYI - I actually applied to HK to set-up an outlet in Latvia ... they ignored it ... later affilliated a shop in Lithuania which is not eaxctly much use to us !

Frank - lighten up mate ... I'm not so bad .. and you're not either !

Nigel

Old 10-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #16
TopSpin

The list is da Bomb!!!
Heads Up RC is a really good mail order company here in the US. They sell mostly Chinese stuff but at comparable prices and they will actually answer the phone if you call them. They have great service and none of the risk that you have with Hobby King. You also don't have to pay huge shipping wait two to three weeks for overseas post.

If you really feel the need to buy from Hong Kong let me suggest Leaders Hobby. They don't have quite the selection that Hobby King has but they have a lot and they also will communicate with you if you have an issue or question. They are honest and will ship your stuff out immediately instead of waiting three or four days.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Frank,

You're a great American !

Great list.I've bought from many of them. I'm a big fan of Value Hobby(Illinois), Headsuprc(Florida) Niko(Arizona) Leaders Hobby now has a Warehouse in Miami- limited stock. Grayson (Georgia) is a great source for motor/esc combos for pusher park jets. So is Donsrc in Ohio for edf motors/fans. If HK knew much about Distribution Logistics, they could dominate.

What will happen soon is the collection of state sales tax for internet sales. This will help the LHS and other brick and mortar stores. So, local pick-up(no shipping) and the sales tax advantage will be neutralized. Amazon, for example, has now agreed to start collecting state sales tax. This is a game changer. Most LHS's operate on very low margins. Horizon Hobby has many of them locked up with their product lines(e-flight, parkzone, hangar 9, etc.)

I don't mind paying a slight premium for good service. I do not like getting ripped-off on shipping. With some of the Chinese operators, the shipping cost exceeds the item cost. At Headsup and Value, the average shipping cost in less than $5.00 for most things.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Thanks Hawk, I appreciate that. You should have seen the grief I got when I posted that poll from a guy over on RCG.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755423

You would have thought I stole his first born from his reactions.

Frank

Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #19
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Second HeadsUpRC. Sure you can buy the same products elsewhere. But, Jeff is a wealth of knowledge on power set ups. Not sure what to use? Send him an email of what you have in mind and he will give you a great combo to make it fly. Has not failed me - ever.

There are plenty of others, too. Muroc's list is great! Plenty on there I was not aware of. I LOVE finding new suppliers, particularly at home.

But, ultimately, it seems everything is built in China. And, HK offers such a multitude of airplanes for low prices, they are hard to ignore. They do have a US warehouse, which is where I purchase from, given the choice. That is not really out of a patriotic sense, it is all about receiving in a timely manner.

Online vendors, such as Hobbyzone, are higher priced than the "discount" vendors. But, along with the extra cost comes a certain degree of confidence in their product. If its broke, they tend to fix it quickly and without you laying out an unjustifiable expense.

In the end, the choice is yours. See something you like on HK that you can't find elsewhere AND have the confidence to overcome design/production/shipping problems, then they are a good source. Order from HK and expect perfection for your dollar and you may be disappointed.

I order from HK with confidence. I've also ordered from the much maligned Banana Hobby and Nitroplanes with satisfaction. But, if something happens to go wrong and you can't or don't want to fix it yourself, you may be in for a very frustrating experience.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 10-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
TopSpin

Thanks Hawk, I appreciate that. You should have seen the grief I got when I posted that poll from a guy over on RCG.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755423

You would have thought I stole his first born from his reactions.

Frank
I saw that Frank. It makes me wonder why someone would care so much about such a minor detail?

Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #21
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)

I placed an order with Hobby Kings USA warehouse for 2 instock batteries and had them in 3 days. All so great service from heads up rc low shipping cost and fast shipping. Also an ebay seller happydeal hobby has good service I had a problem with an esc that came in my brushless combo and a few days later I had a new replacement esc.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #22
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)

Yakfishingfool don't feel bad my lhs is 45mins. and the owner doesn't seem helpful since my plane was not bought from him. I ask for servo horns I told him the servos came out of a blade 400 heli so he looks up the e-flite part # and said I don't have them instock for that heli. I tried to tell him the servos are going in a slow stick and I don't need what came on the servos with the heli. Then I ask about connectors for my Hobby wing esc he said he couldn't help me that he has never heard of Hobby Wing and knows nothing about them in a rude way. So I'm back to buying from the web. I as well posted about Heads up rc their my (#1 pick) great cs. I feel hobby king gets you on shipping cost My 2 batteries cost more to ship from HK USA than the slow stick plane from Heads up rc. Do your homework if you use heads up and hobby king compare parts + shipping cost. I was looking at a plane that was 19.00 but shipping was 35.00 at HK.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #23
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
I saw that Frank. It makes me wonder why someone would care so much about such a minor detail?
I just read that entire thread!! lol

To me, the simple fact that they have zero parts for any plane they sell is reason enough for me not to buy from them.

And most comments are people saying they had to make major changes to get the product to work correctly.

I am brand new to the hobby and already wont buy from HK lol.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
I am brand new to the hobby and already wont buy from HK lol.
Actually they do carry quite comprehensive spares for their Durafly foamy models and quite a few other foamies. It's the balsa models that dont have any spares. This isnt unique to HK, most of the other dealers selling budget priced models and parts dont carry much in the way of spares.

The quality of HK stuff is variable but if you do your research you can avoid the poor stuff. Much of the stuff they sell is the very same as what you would find being sold elswhere for much higher prices. Even in the HK product line there is a quite wide range of price and you do get what you pay for, their top of the range offerings rival the quality of premium manufacturers.

Personally I use HK quite a bit but to avoid dissapointment you really do need to do your homework, be sure it's what you want (you cant return it), read the reviews, check the specs very carefully etc. You also have to accept that you probably wont get the same level of customer support that you would hope to get from a local dealer, especially if buying from the international warehouse.
But often the fact that the stuff is about half the price makes taking a small risk worthwhile, so I'd not be so hasty in writing them off.

Steve
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #25
TopSpin

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Actually they do carry quite comprehensive spares for their Durafly foamy models and quite a few other foamies. It's the balsa models that dont have any spares. This isnt unique to HK, most of the other dealers selling budget priced models and parts dont carry much in the way of spares.

The quality of HK stuff is variable but if you do your research you can avoid the poor stuff. Much of the stuff they sell is the very same as what you would find being sold elswhere for much higher prices. Even in the HK product line there is a quite wide range of price and you do get what you pay for, their top of the range offerings rival the quality of premium manufacturers.

Personally I use HK quite a bit but to avoid dissapointment you really do need to do your homework, be sure it's what you want (you cant return it), read the reviews, check the specs very carefully etc. You also have to accept that you probably wont get the same level of customer support that you would hope to get from a local dealer, especially if buying from the international warehouse.
But often the fact that the stuff is about half the price makes taking a small risk worthwhile, so I'd not be so hasty in writing them off.

Steve

I have seen a dozen threads started by customers complaining that they can't get parts for Durafly planes. Some of them eventually get a replacement but it takes six months or more.

Now their shipping prices even from the US warehouse are so high they are no longer a good deal anymore.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions