Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
noddymix

Friends: (0)
Default Moving from helicopters to rc planes

Hi All
Thinking of getting into RC 'planes. I have been flying a blade 400 heli for some time no 3d, not got the skill lol.

Would you still recommend a trainer or should I be able to go to something a bit more advanced?

Look forward to your comments.

Mike
Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Friends: (1)

Trainers are good to get the basics. I would
start there. Probably with something 4 channel
so you have ailerons right away.

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi Mike
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
Check out the Flyzone Switch 2 planes in one a basic Trainer and an aerobatic trainer with the switch of a wing
http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplan...300/index.html
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by noddymix View Post
Hi All
Thinking of getting into RC 'planes. I have been flying a blade 400 heli for some time no 3d, not got the skill lol.

Would you still recommend a trainer or should I be able to go to something a bit more advanced?

Look forward to your comments.

Mike
Agree with the trainer as a start. Something low cost, on the order of those foamies. There are a lot of good bind and fly models available. I'd also suggest an aileron/elevator/rudder model. Note that these smaller models tend to be a little more difficult to fly than the larger models because of their quick response.

Once you've handled the foamie, you have a little background to decide on what type of model to get next. So, going to a larger model, say on the order of 500 or 1000 watts, it might be a little easier to fly than the foamie. Of course, with that, crashes will be far more expensive.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
noddymix

Thanks for the advice others recommend the Parkzone T-28
any thoughts?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Noddy,

From what I can tell, you're not new to RC, just new to fixed wing. If you can fly those rotors, you can probably fly anything. While I agree with others that the high wing trainer is the best option for a complete beginner, you may get bored easily.

The PZ T-28 is an excellent choice IMO. I moved on to that one from the high wing trainers ( HZ Super Cub/ Cessna 182) and at first was fretting that the the T-28 might be intimidating. It wasn't at all. In fact, it's very tame but can still perform.

I still fly it and have since upgraded the motor & esc and now fly it on 4S. T-28 on steroids ! It's a great plane ! The nose gear is a major weak point. I've since made my own mods to the LG to beef them up as I fly off a grass field. Stiffer wire and bigger tires. Heck, she's an easy hand launcher if you want to forgo the LG alltogether.

Good Luck !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

High wing sport aerobatic such as Cessna 182 or similar ... slow if you want ... performs if you want to push it ..

Guy at our group who is NOT 3D heli flyer but at intermedaite level - decided to go fixed wing ..... bought a lightweight 3D profile machine ... had one flight which was a bit iffy ... glued wheels back on ... launched and was hovering it ... looping ... rolling a good un on second flight.

Gobsmacked ? You bet I was ! His reasoning was that a lightweight 3D machine was overpowered enough that he could play it like a helicopter if needed ........

His next model was a ASW Glider ........... dang me if he didn't fly that well as well !!

At end of day - you have understanding of flight ............. go for it !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
noddymix

Default Moving from helicopters to rc planes

Thanks for the great advice people wont be doing any flying any time soon dx6i went on the blink this morning display blank.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
noddymix

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Noddy,

From what I can tell, you're not new to RC, just new to fixed wing. If you can fly those rotors, you can probably fly anything. While I agree with others that the high wing trainer is the best option for a complete beginner, you may get bored easily.

The PZ T-28 is an excellent choice IMO. I moved on to that one from the high wing trainers ( HZ Super Cub/ Cessna 182) and at first was fretting that the the T-28 might be intimidating. It wasn't at all. In fact, it's very tame but can still perform.

I still fly it and have since upgraded the motor & esc and now fly it on 4S. T-28 on steroids ! It's a great plane ! The nose gear is a major weak point. I've since made my own mods to the LG to beef them up as I fly off a grass field. Stiffer wire and bigger tires. Heck, she's an easy hand launcher if you want to forgo the LG alltogether.

Good Luck !

-Hawk
Thanks Hawk looks like i could use my heli lipo's on this save a fotune.

Mike
Old 11-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the great advice people wont be doing any flying any time soon dx6i went on the blink this morning display blank.
Don't know about the DX6i, but the DX7 has a fuse inside for the battery circuit. The Spektrum transmitters have a reverse polarity on the charger connector, where the center pin is negative, not positive. If the wrong charger with reverse polarity is plugged in, it can blow that fuse. (Don't ask!)

If that fuse if blown, the transmitter is dead. The fuse is a standard metric fuse. It's worth while to pull the cover off of your transmitter and check that fuse with a digital multimeter.

DennyV
Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
noddymix

[QUOTE=kyleservicetech;888653]Don't know about the DX6i, but the DX7 has a fuse inside for the battery circuit. The Spektrum transmitters have a reverse polarity on the charger connector, where the center pin is negative, not positive. If the wrong charger with reverse polarity is plugged in, it can blow that fuse. (Don't ask!)

If that fuse if blown, the transmitter is dead. The fuse is a standard metric fuse. It's worth while to pull the cover off of your transmitter and check that fuse with a digital multimeter.[/QUOT

Its all working just no display.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

[QUOTE=noddymix;888655]
Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Don't know about the DX6i, but the DX7 has a fuse inside for the battery circuit. The Spektrum transmitters have a reverse polarity on the charger connector, where the center pin is negative, not positive. If the wrong charger with reverse polarity is plugged in, it can blow that fuse. (Don't ask!)

If that fuse if blown, the transmitter is dead. The fuse is a standard metric fuse. It's worth while to pull the cover off of your transmitter and check that fuse with a digital multimeter.[/QUOT

Its all working just no display.
Uh Oh
In the USA, Horizon Hobby has a very fast turn around, like less than a week. Don't know about your location.

DennyV
Old 11-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Thanks Hawk looks like i could use my heli lipo's on this save a fotune.

Mike
At least 60% of my hangar can use my 2200 3S from my 450 heli's ... it's also worth noting that the 2200 3S is a good middle road standard for many models ...... and when HK and such are selling them cheap as chips ........ gotta be good !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post

If that fuse if blown, the transmitter is dead. The fuse is a standard metric fuse. It's worth while to pull the cover off of your transmitter and check that fuse with a digital multimeter.

The old JR vs rest of world polarity ! All my Tx chargers have dual plugs for that reason ... standard din plug soldered into the lead with a taped tab label saying which ...

That's a bummer though to have a fuse ... my old 1980's JR and other stuff ... Futaba M from 70's and also my 9x have reverse polarity protection but don't blow fuses ! They are all via diodes as I understand.

Nigel

Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
noddymix

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The old JR vs rest of world polarity ! All my Tx chargers have dual plugs for that reason ... standard din plug soldered into the lead with a taped tab label saying which ...

That's a bummer though to have a fuse ... my old 1980's JR and other stuff ... Futaba M from 70's and also my 9x have reverse polarity protection but don't blow fuses ! They are all via diodes as I understand.

Nigel
Phoned Horizon today they said send it in. Posting back in the morning.

MIKE
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
noddymix

Got the Dx6i back today two days turnaround. New switches and circuit board + upgraded
No charge not even post.

Mike
Old 11-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

Got the Dx6i back today two days turnaround. New switches and circuit board + upgraded
No charge not even post.

Mike
I'm glad I bought Spektrum!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

No charge not even post.

Mike

Sure, Spektrum might cost more than some of those imports, and some of the counterfeit Spektrum radios. But, their warranty and repair turn around time really stands out.

In comparison, I'd sent in a name brand ESC for a factory recall last winter. Didn't get it back for 7 weeks. And absolutely zero communication response from the supplier after many emails and phone calls.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65573

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners