Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #76
markhbike

Friends: (0)
Default e-flite taylorcraft

I just picked up a slightly used TC at a swap meet, all set up BNF. It needs a couple of patches on the wing. Where's a good source of small quantities of Ultracote?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #77
Snoopyxupery
Snoopexupery

I have also the logo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Logo Taylorcraft.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	157504 Logo
Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #78
Mainuh
No parachute needed

Club: Propsnappers
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by Snoopyxupery View Post
Here is the video of my Cub last summer

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Don
Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #79
Mainuh
No parachute needed

Originally Posted by markhbike View Post
I just picked up a slightly used TC at a swap meet, all set up BNF. It needs a couple of patches on the wing. Where's a good source of small quantities of Ultracote?
Not sure about the small quantities, but the colors are:
UltraCote Cream (U878) and Deep Red (U871)

Maybe with those there's a TC owner or someone else on the forums who might have some smaller pieces to sell or give you. Wouldn't hurt to ask...

Cheers,

Don
Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #80
TriumphScram

I had to patch a few spots last year. Took a look but I don't have any left over. Great flying airplane. I've had it on skis and just put some Trexlors on it for flying off a grass field. Haven't tried them out yet, but makes the plane look awesome. Like something you would see in Alaska.

Also dialed in 15% flaperon for takeoff. Helps keep the prop out of the dirt, especially of if are running a 12". Helps on landing too, not that it needs it.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #81
bnick2k11

Just had to add that of all my planes this has always been one of the sweetest flying planes I've owned... It just looks great in the air and scale flying is just plain cool to see with her..

I still have my original wood prop on her albeit a little bit grass stained green by now... Never ever crashed her but some have said she doesn't like cross winds all that... Canít say Iíve ever had problems with her in the cross winds I've flown her in so for me at least sheís never been a problem...

Just a cool little plane...
bnick
Old 03-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #82
Mainuh
No parachute needed

Originally Posted by bnick2k11 View Post
Just had to add that of all my planes this has always been one of the sweetest flying planes I've owned... It just looks great in the air and scale flying is just plain cool to see with her..

I still have my original wood prop on her albeit a little bit grass stained green by now... Never ever crashed her but some have said she doesn't like cross winds all that... Canít say Iíve ever had problems with her in the cross winds I've flown her in so for me at least sheís never been a problem...

Just a cool little plane...
bnick
Thanks... that's nice to hear. Mine came last week and I've started to put it together. Went with the basic 450 and have ordered some bigger "bush" type wheels as others have suggested and just going to bag the wheel pants.

We had a club winter fun fly a couple weekends ago and another member brought a TC and it sure looked sweet in the air. Can't wait to get mine up and going. Trying to figure out right now if it's worth trying to put NAV LED's in the wingtips. It's pretty thin out on the end so not sure how to mount the LED on a pre-covered wing. I guess I could mount them on the leading edge 1.5 or so inches from the tip where it's thicker but don't really like that option. Anybody put NAV lights on your TC ? Got pics if you did?

Cheers,

Don
Old 03-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #83
bnick2k11

Mainuh...

I have a park right across the street where I've always flown but because of the grass I've always just found it easier to not use the wheel pants also... I also went to larger tires and in the grass they just move some much easier with the larger tires... Adding lights could be done if a person has patience I like your idea... I used the Park480\1024kv but it really is over kill and the smaller motors would easily work just fine...

Have a fun week...
bnick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Taylorcraft 450 082909a.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	157744
Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #84
Mainuh
No parachute needed

Default TC decisions

Originally Posted by bnick2k11 View Post
Mainuh...

I have a park right across the street where I've always flown but because of the grass I've always just found it easier to not use the wheel pants also... I also went to larger tires and in the grass they just move some much easier with the larger tires... Adding lights could be done if a person has patience I like your idea... I used the Park480\1024kv but it really is over kill and the smaller motors would easily work just fine...

Have a fun week...
bnick
Hey Bnick,

I have a nice athletic/recreation field 1/2 mile from my house which is great because the club field is close to 20 miles away. While I'm building the Taylorcraft, I'm flying the PZ Supercub LP foamy. I stopped at the hobby store yesterday and got some 2.5" wheels for it, upgrading from 1.75" and managed to get a couple flights in before the snow started! It helped a little but on frozen grass it still needs a nudge sometimes to get going and also full elevator at takeoff to avoid a nose over until it gets a little groundspeed. I have 2.5 Dubros on order for the TC. What size did you use? Nice photo btw!

Also glad to hear you mention the 480 is overkill. I agononized about which engine, but after hearing and reading of people doing 450's and even adding floats on them, I decided to go that route.

We're in the middle of a 10-14" snowstorm today, so looks like I'll be getting some benchtime to work on the TC. May have to look for skis for the TC and the cub!

Still haven't decided whether or not to mount the NAV and strobe LED's on the outer leading edge of the wing. I guess that would be better than nothing, but can't glue the wing together until I decide on that! Will put a red beacon on the fuselage near the rudder on top and another on the belly about mid fuselage and a pait of bright white "landing" LEDs up in the cowel. Should be fun at dusk and dawn. Using the Turnigy LED kit.

Cheers,

Don
Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #85
bnick2k11

Cool... The red beacon could be a good way to start then build from there if you want... I too used the 2.5" tires because that's all they had in stock at my lhs...

We sound similar in our locations as I'm about 12 miles from our club site and out of the blue an old farmer gave all his farm to the city and they built a big new park 3 years ago right across the street from our house and I fly on any of about 7 locations over there now and most are 1000'x 500'... There are just a couple guys who come to fly once in a while and it's all electric so I've just enjoyed the heck out of simply flying without having to drive anywhere...

I started back into RC after being away for like 28 years with a red and white Super Cub which for the last couple years has served to teach the grandsons to fly while I fly my 3D's, EDF and CP Heli's...

Just a week ago I ripped out all the old gear and put in a new Park 480 and hand built solid oak motor mount secured with 4 large deck screws, a Spectrum 6 channel receiver, 2 new servos, and an 1800mAh 3S Lipo... When I put her on the scale finished I was so happy to see that she came in exactly the same weight as she was stock due probably to the old stock gear being so heavy compared to todays ultra lightweight equipment... I thought I'd be way overweight with the oak motor mount and the four 3" deck screws, ha... She's strong as a tank and I only did it for my grandson to keep learning on...

That little Super Cub has taught more kids to fly as well as my daughter... Her CG is still spot on so she should maiden with all her new powerful motor and gear just fine...

We too woke up to a light dusting of snow for the first time this entire winter and here I was thinking we were heading towards spring weather...

Have fun...
bnick
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #86
littleimp

We have a few of these little things in our club. However don't leave them next to your car because of the wind and forget about them!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfPRIkv8Jc
Old 03-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #87
Snoopyxupery
Snoopexupery

Here is the site for Taylorcraft:

http://www.alliancememory.org/cdm/se...nd/cosuppress/
Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #88
TriumphScram

Trexlors were a fail for my T craft. Tried all sorts of different pressures, none really worked all that well on tall or wet grass. The larger stiffer foam wheels seem to work best. I still prefer the wheel pants/stock setup for hard surface flying when I can get away with it.
I found it does weathervain a lot in a cross wind, but the rudder is very effictive as well, so crosswinds are challenging but very doable in the airplane.

I'm running a 480 and love it. What agreat airplane. I'm going to give up on mods and fly it as she is. I don't see much I can improve on.

Quick Q: What prop would you guys say gives you the fastest airspeed?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #89
boodaghost

Originally Posted by xtreme2424 View Post
I had it out yesterday and threw a 11x5.5 prop on it wow can this bird fly slow. You can make it crawl if you want. this is for sure 1 of my favorite planes right now in my hanger!
Love mine. My favorite thing to do with it is to make slow, easy passes down the runway about head high. Then, throttle up, circle around and do it again. Looks really awesome.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #90
Wi53072

I have this plane with the 480 installed and I just love how this plane flies! Very good airplane!!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #91
WingingIt74

Friends: (2)

I picked up a couple 3s1300 lips to see if it helps performance out. I must be the only one who isn't thrilled with this plane, but I love the looks. My go to plane is still my $uperCub.

-Travis "aka" CLSSY56

Winging It! with Travis & Jeremy
On FaceBook & YouTube
Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #92
rotorsport

Thumbs up Build

I have this one in a box and I just had a hip replaced so I'm home for a couple of months so this my project

Charles

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft

Tags
eflite , taylorcraft