Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)
Default new laptop! love/hate relationship getting used to them.

love getting rid of this 8 year old dell thats freezing up regularly for a samsung with windows8. this new laptop is going to have a learning curve that often derails desire to use these confounded machines.

there in is the reason for love/hate title.......does anyone else dread the starting up a new machine,downloading favorite sites when i have 3 dozen sites set already on the old comp. i lazily have jumbled files of videos and hundreds of photos that i know exactly where to find them if i search long enough.

so for the other computer illiterates,don't you love having someone else to transfer all your dataand walk you thru the basics,to bad my wife has to work this weekend...new comp will have to wait.

so please share any frustrations these dang machines cause you so i don't feel so alone.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Let us know how you like Windoz 8.... Have fun with transferring all those files!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

My love/hate relationship with my laptop is how sometimes I can get lost in it, searching for a tidbit of information, or looking for that next plane, or watching 14 minutes of Russian dash-cam crashes..... Dang! Where's my life go? I could've worked on those floats for the Apprentice, or tightening up the elevon controls on the Skyray...

So I love all the info there is on the web, I just hate how I don't know when I got enough info already!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

No worries with the Mac laptops my school provides me with. Just got a new Macbook air a couple of months ago. It performs great, but has a tiny 60 gig flash drive. I guess hard drives are a thing of the past???

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

stuart nothing worse than spending time getting to know a new system. I also hate all the work of loading software, and transferring files. Setting up the favorites not a problem as I surf along the internet I just add them in.

Have fun buddy.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
love getting rid of this 8 year old dell thats freezing up regularly for a samsung with windows8. this new laptop is going to have a learning curve that often derails desire to use these confounded machines.

there in is the reason for love/hate title.......does anyone else dread the starting up a new machine,downloading favorite sites when i have 3 dozen sites set already on the old comp. i lazily have jumbled files of videos and hundreds of photos that i know exactly where to find them if i search long enough.

so for the other computer illiterates,don't you love having someone else to transfer all your dataand walk you thru the basics,to bad my wife has to work this weekend...new comp will have to wait.

so please share any frustrations these dang machines cause you so i don't feel so alone.
If your old computer has a USB port, pick up one of those 1 Tb (1 Terabyte or 1000 Gb) external USB hard drives. These units can automatically backup files, but I much prefer to manually copy the files from your PC to the 1 Tb drive. Then, plug in the 1 Tb drive to your new computer, and manually copy them to your new computer.

FYI, using the automatic file backup system usually winds up compressing the files so they can't just be read by the same or another computer.

Kind of stay away from those little palm sized 1 Tb drives, word has it they can have reliability problems. The unit I have is a Western Digital drive that measures 5 by 6 1/2 by 2 inches. Cost me about $100 from Walmart. These units have a standard Hard Drive inside the plastic case, along with a power supply and USB interface.

Just plugging them into your computer, you wind up with another drive that is easily copied to, using the copy/paste commands. You can copy entire directories from your original computer to the 1 Tb drive, to your new computer. These drives are fast. And, when you are all done, you've got your files backed up to an external backup drive, just in case.

Just note this only allows copying files, it does not copy installed programs, those must be re-installed with their original disks.

As for your desktop Icons, you can save them by putting your mouse cursor at the top left Icon on your computer screen. Depress the shift key, move the cursor to the bottom right. Then key "Ctrl-C" for copy. Do NOT key anything else!!! Control X will delete all your icons!!!

Then create a directory in your hard drive like "desktop 11-17-2012". Open that directory, then Ctrl-V to paste your desktop to the desktop directory.

Then copy that directory to your external drive, and connect to your new computer. Copy just one Icon, right click your mouse, and send it to "Desktop", and see if it works. If it does work with Windows 8, you can proceed to copy all of them to your new PC. Just highlite all of them, and send all of them to your desktop. If you're not familiar with this type of stuff, ask your fifth grader!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

I got a small netbook for my XC bike trip, and the only thing don't like about it was the &^%$#@! touch pad. When I want to click on something, it doesn't always take, but just hovering my finger a half inch above it will sometimes activate some link or function. I am always "unclicking" on things.

I think I am going to get a USB mini-mouse for it and cover the pad with something that will render it unusable - temporarily at least.

Learning Win7 was a little un-nerving (I had XP on my desktop for years). I never buy a new OS, but allways wait for the rest of you fools out there beta test it and work most of the bugs out first
Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
I got a small netbook for my XC bike trip, and the only thing don't like about it was the &^%$#@! touch pad. When I want to click on something, it doesn't always take, but just hovering my finger a half inch above it will sometimes activate some link or function. I am always "unclicking" on things.

I think I am going to get a USB mini-mouse for it and cover the pad with something that will render it unusable - temporarily at least.

Learning Win7 was a little un-nerving (I had XP on my desktop for years). I never buy a new OS, but allways wait for the rest of you fools out there beta test it and work most of the bugs out first
Yeah
A couple of guys in my RC club that have those cellphones with the touch screen don't like them. Seems the touch screens don't work when it gets cold outside.

Don't know if this is common, but I like my new flip top cellphone with real keypads

DennyV
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yeah
A couple of guys in my RC club that have those cellphones with the touch screen don't like them. Seems the touch screens don't work when it gets cold outside.

Don't know if this is common, but I like my new flip top cellphone with real keypads
Now all we need to do is geneticaly engineer/mutate our fingers so they will be small enough to use them.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Now all we need to do is geneticaly engineer/mutate our fingers so they will be small enough to use them.

Posted via Mobile Device

LOL
Wow, is that the truth!

DennyV
Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

i love windows 8 !!!!!! so much so i felt the need to pack it back up in its box and return it to the store for safe keeping!! i would have loved to air lift it several thousand ft and bomb drop it on a cement slab.

truth.....they changed everything you find familar on the screen and relocated functions so you'll need to relearn how to get around completely...i'm to old for this garbage,so i took the dying dell to the repair shop . $120 and having it wiped clean and reloaded with all my programs and shes as good as new!!

at a savings of $275,i can now buy a new replacement optic 6 tx if i need to,again the i'm to old to change what i know and love to use.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat