Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #76
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)

So for the type of flying I intend to do, it should be ideal then. On mine ailerons and elevator are set to about 11:30, and I left the rudder at the factory setting (50%), and bench testing looks pretty good for these settings...can't WAIT for a nice day to put this plane up! How sensitive are your adjustments? Mine work through the entire turn for each pot...

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #77
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I placed my big HK order the other day and these were already out of stock. Next time.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #78
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

I zeroed mine by turning them all counterclockwise, then turned each one clockwise till I got the results I wanted. From that point it doesnt take to much in either direction to have almost no movement one way, and to much the other. Don't know if this is the way your supposed to do it but it worked for me.

Gord.

Gord.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #79
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14
Friends: (5)

Wow, looks like the courier pigeon made it to Phoenix. Ninety miles up the road yet so far away.

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
November 09, 2012, 12:19 pm
PHOENIX, AZ 85043
Registered Mail™

This will be the first and last time I fall for the Airmail trick as my son ordered over $100 that included 2 lipos two weeks ago and went regular postage. His package is setting in San Diego waiting for his return as soon as his plane lands later tonight.

Maybe Monday as soon as the pigeon recoups from that long flight from PA.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #80
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

If I have the room, I think I will toss this in the Coachman and see what happens. I know that Watt meter of my will be in the last place I look.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #81
jchtr3a

Friends: (0)
Default HK Orange 3 axis stabilizer

From experience it seems that every time you power up your plane you have to have it level as it would fly. So a tail dragger would need to have the aft section lifted to mimic the atitude it would fly in normally, to be straight and level. Also you will not get the same amount of flying time as the gyros are almost always moving to counter any slight movements, using up battery power more than "normal'. So you have to take this into account, as well. That being said, it works pretty well. It is not an "auto pilot" such as the Eagle Tree or FY30 A, and will not bring a plane back to level flight, but it will keep it in level flight (or any other orientation) that the pilot puts it in.
I am anxious to get the 2 axis gyros that Banana Hobby is putting in their smaller back pack EDF's. They MAY be more like the AP's than the Orange Stabilizer, although it's hard to tell from the F-22 review on YouTube, and there seems to be no documentation on them. Has anyone had any experience with them? They are cheap (I think like $21.90) so I'm going to order one when they come back in stock and give it a try.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #82
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

After a four week difficult journey out of China the courier pigeon arrived. A little heaver than I imagined but doable. Next stop, dig out the Coachman and put the receiver back in. Time for some fun.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #83
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

I've found it doesn't matter what attitude the plane is in, even upside down, as long as it sits still long enough for the gyro to initiate,maybe 6 seconds. I did have the esc cut out from low voltage on one of the last flights, so it does take more power to operate the servos.

Gord.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #84
matiac
What, me worry?

Higher maH battery perhaps? Right now I'm using either the stock battery at 7.4v 1000maH, or using 3 7.4 500maH Sky LiPo's in parallel...could put together 2 Zippy LiPo's at 1000 each?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #85
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Yeah, for now I'll just back off the trans timer by half a minute. I find I had to dial in more sensitivity on the ails and less on the elev. so maybe it's an individual thing. I'm running 1300ma Zippy lipos. Did you lose power and all that other bad stuff with the hurricane??

Gord.

Gord.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #86
matiac
What, me worry?

Ours went out for about 16 hours, lost a few shingles off the house, couple pieces of fence, pretty much business as usual the next day. Those poor people at the beach a scant 5 miles away however didn't fare as well. Some people lost homes, businesses wiped out, STILL a pretty bad mess down there, and then "Adriana" (they're naming Nor'Easters now???) came through, and did even more damage, gonna be a bad Winter I'm thinkin'...

Old 11-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #87
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

My thoughts are with you and the other people who had to put up with the devastation.

Gord.

Gord.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #88
wedoitall

Club: hillbilly crash helmets

Originally Posted by matiac View Post
Higher maH battery perhaps? Right now I'm using either the stock battery at 7.4v 1000maH, or using 3 7.4 500maH Sky LiPo's in parallel...could put together 2 Zippy LiPo's at 1000 each?
just about eveything ive read and been told, no matter if its the orange, kk 2.o, etc. the proper setup would have an external BEC. actually from what ive been told your risking a few problems without it to help pwr. im currently hooking up my kk 2.0 with a 5amp ubec. the ppl ive talked too that are running gyros in planes said that even if your esc has the built in bec to get a seperate bec/ubec.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #89
matiac
What, me worry?

That's another confusing thing, can you run 2 BECs at the same time, and how do you hook it up without it messing up the other one, if it does (mess up the other one)??

Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #90
wedoitall

http://rcpowers.com/v2/OrangeRX_Flight_Stabilizer.pdf

for those with bec/esc combos. i used a ubec 5a on my KK 2.0 on my t-28 trojan and it has the bec/esc. if i would have used a orange i would have probably been alright just to use the bec/esc. if you dont use the seperate bec. make sure that you have plenty of ventilation in the plane. and as soon as u land check your temperature inside your fuselage, where your electronics is. smaller planes or planes with a high amp bec should be alright with the orange. the kk 2.0 sucks alot more power than the orange does also.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #91
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
http://rcpowers.com/v2/OrangeRX_Flight_Stabilizer.pdf

for those with bec/esc combos. i used a ubec 5a on my KK 2.0 on my t-28 trojan and it has the bec/esc. if i would have used a orange i would have probably been alright just to use the bec/esc. if you dont use the seperate bec. make sure that you have plenty of ventilation in the plane. and as soon as u land check your temperature inside your fuselage, where your electronics is. smaller planes or planes with a high amp bec should be alright with the orange. the kk 2.0 sucks alot more power than the orange does also.
I can attest to that. I believe that is what caused my esc to overheat and fail on my KK. Still looking for that hard to find watt meter I put where I knew I could find it.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #92
wedoitall

starcad, your still looking for that meter? lol. so what kinda plane did u have the kk board in? was it the kk2.0? or the first version?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #93
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

Yeah, dagnabit. Still haven't found that sucker. My Quantum receiver and it have both runaway. I've been all over this house and in and out of the the Man Cave several times. I think I'm going to do some self hypnosis and regress to the last time I saw them. Won't work but a thought anyway.

I put the KK2.0 in my Coachman and that is almost the last time I saw my meter. Humm, my memory is almost coming back. I was going to check it before I flew it and should have. I believe I had a brown out due to the 20 amp speed control I had in that plane at the time. However I thought that I would be OK as I had not exceeded the amp draw motor/esc before. I had done quit a bit of testing 3 days prior to the test flight and had everything working properly and the gains set at about 1/4. Takeoff was normal and I climbed to around 250 feet and turned on the KK board. The plane immediately went into a hard right spiral where upon I turned off the kk board. Still no control and I reduced the throttle to try and regain control however I was met with no response from the controls. Fortunately the only damage occurred to the firewall and was an easy fix. I've had another 20 logged flight on the plane since without the KK board.

It was definitely my fault as I should have checked the draw but didn't as I couldn't find that dog gone watt meter. Before flying a stabilizer again I intend to check the amp draw so I will probably be visiting my LHS this week end. Funny though as I'm sure that as soon as I come home with my new pride and joy my old watt meter will be jealous and peak out saying Here I am.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #94
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

OK, I give in Oldtimers it's getting to me. After another down on my hands and knees search of the entire Premises I again failed to discover where my watt meter has taken up residence. So, after an exhaustive search on the Internet I came up with this http://www.valuehobby.com/gt-power-130a-wattmeter.html which should fill my needs. Soon the Orange will be in the air I hope.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #95
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

Mine arrived the other day and this evening I've installed it in the V2 no-name plane:

I've fiddled with the three pots to get what seems like reasonable movement bench testing. Can't wait to try it out - maybe tomorrow

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 11-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #96
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

OK, I had to test it. Yup the orange light comes on so now just waiting on the new Wattmeter and will toss it in the Coachman for a trial run. Wattmeter left Ill. earlier this evening on it's way for delivery looks like 3 days.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange1.gif
Views:	90
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	164216  

Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #97
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

Took it up several times this afternoon. I guess it worked OK, but I frankly couldn't tell much difference. Not a very good test day though - there was very little wind. The plane flew nice and steady, but again, there was not much wind, so that's to be expected . I wish there was a way to turn it off & on in flight so you could make a real-time comparison.

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #98
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

I'd like to see that too Dave as I think it would have far better functionality. I would like to put it in my Sky Walker to help with video at least that is the future plan.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #99
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

It's here, found a package on my table when I returned from work today. The neat little jewel inside has really motivated me so now I have to get he Coachman out and do a little mod on the bottom. I'm going to mount it on the bottom as I have a tri gear and want to be able to adjust quickly. I'll post some images tomorrow of the Coachman hack.

For now, my son Scott came in for the holiday so yesterday we went out flying both FPV and F3b. We both made four flight each and spent around 6 hours our in the desert.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FPV Desert 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	508.7 KB
ID:	164339   Click image for larger version

Name:	FPV Desert1a.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	542.0 KB
ID:	164340  

Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #100
matiac
What, me worry?

Man I need to move somewhere like that, where I don't have to worry about trees and such. 'Course I'd get there, and b1tch there ain't no trees...just no pleasin' me! There IS a rather large turf farm just to the North of us where we can put these birds up, and see how this thing's gonna work, gonna get another for the big plane, all bench tests have been VERY promising, now to wait for a warm day...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions