Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Club: Fraser Valley RC Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (4)
Default #25 Balsa build clinic - Aerodrome RC Albatross D Va short kit

Well, hopefully, better late than never! I have finally got a project to start for this build challenge. After hemming and hawing about which of my many plans to choose, yesterday I spotted a post on my old club's forum about an AerodromeRC short kit for the Albatross D Va being offered at a great price, so I called the poster and arranged to pick it up today. The plans and parts are now in my shop, and I'll get my bench sorted out and the plans taped down this weekend, and a few pieces glued up, with pics, of course, to post by Sunday night.

Brad.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

Glad to see you starting one Brad . Iam sighned up . joe
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
BradT

Awards Showcase

Well, here we go - I got the bench cleared, all my building tools out of storage (boxed up and put away for last year's move), and had a good look at what I got for my $50 snap purchase. This should be a nice build, with a lot of parts, but beautifully cut, so they should fit well. After nearly a decade since my last scratch build, this will be fun. I'm aiming for at least an hour a day in the shop, though I know "real life" will ocasionally trip me up.
Brad.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1201.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	163633 Stored models have to movee off the bench!

Name:	IMG_1202.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	163634 2 x 4 ceiling tile ready for plans

Name:	IMG_1203.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	163635 wing sheet

Name:	IMG_1204.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	163636

Name:	IMG_1205.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	163637 loads of very nice laser cut parts
Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
BradT

Awards Showcase

I finally got some glue on my fingers today, as it's a drizzly Sunday afternoon, so no flying or hiking for me. I taped the plans to the cieling tiles, then covered them with waxed paper, to keep the glue off the plans. The following pics show the vertical keel pinned to the plans, then the F2 to F7 formers glued on, followed by the left side horizontal keel to tie the formers together. The left fus. half is then removed from the plan, and the internal balsa riser sheet is added, which will locate the lower wing and the cowl ring later. Once that dries, I'll add the right side formers, horizontal keel strip, and riser sheet.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1207.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	163963

Name:	IMG_1211.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	163964

Name:	IMG_1212.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	163965

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	163966

Name:	IMG_1214.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	163967

Name:	IMG_1215.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	163968
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by BradT View Post
I finally got some glue on my fingers today, as it's a drizzly Sunday afternoon, so no flying or hiking for me. I taped the plans to the cieling tiles, then covered them with waxed paper, to keep the glue off the plans. The following pics show the vertical keel pinned to the plans, then the F2 to F7 formers glued on, followed by the left side horizontal keel to tie the formers together. The left fus. half is then removed from the plan, and the internal balsa riser sheet is added, which will locate the lower wing and the cowl ring later. Once that dries, I'll add the right side formers, horizontal keel strip, and riser sheet.
Nice start Brad i like a round fuse and round fendered cars/trucks too. joe
Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
BradT

Awards Showcase

Thanks, Joe, I agree on the round fus., and the round fendered cars and trucks, too, having owned quite a few of the older vehicles over the years.

I got a little more time to work on the D Va this afternoon. The pics show the F1 firewall installed; you can see how the 4 keels and the 2 vertical riser sheets locate F1, including the down and right thrust angle, as the keels and risers are slightly different lengths. This assumes that the parts are installed as marked on the plans, of course, or you could end up with left thrust, if you ignore the markings on the parts!

The second and third photos show the complete fus. structure, after adding the right side pieces, so it's now ready to add the 1/8" stringers.

The last pic shows the outline frame of the hor. and vert. tail surfaces pinned down and glued. These are made up of many curved pieces, very precisely cut, so that the fit matches the plan perfectly. As I said in my initial comment about this kit, the laser cutting is superb, and makes fitting this jig saw puzzle together a joy.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D Va build 001.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	164084

Name:	D Va build 002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	164085

Name:	D Va build 003.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	164086

Name:	D Va build 004.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	164087
Old 11-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Looking forward to this build Brad.
+1 for round fuselages as well, that's one of the style points of the Albatross IMHO.

Barry
Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
BradT

Awards Showcase

A little more progress today, I added all the 1/8" sq. strips to the tail parts. It took an hour to cut, fit, and glue those few pieces! I'm at that stage where all the servos, control rods, motor mount, and battery tray have to be planned out and fitted, before I add the fus. stringers and sheeting, so I gathered all those parts together, to ponder how and where it will all fit. This sort of detail is very sketchy on the plans. as the designer assumes that you've done a few builds, if you're building from a short kit to start with. There is also no detail on where or how to provide a battery hatch, but I'm thinking that making the upper fus., forward of the cockpit area removable, will give access to enough of the innards to fit a suitable platform for a 3S pack of 1200 to 1800 mah, and also give access to the motor and esc after the model is done, in case servicing or replacement is needed.

The motor will be an AXI 2212/34, with a Castle Thunderbird 18 esc, with 4 GWS Naro servos for the 3 axis controls.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D Va build 001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	164238
Old 11-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

A little more progress today, I added all the 1/8" sq. strips to the tail parts. It took an hour to cut, fit, and glue those few pieces! I'm at that stage where all the servos, control rods, motor mount, and battery tray have to be planned out and fitted, before I add the fus. stringers and sheeting, so I gathered all those parts together, to ponder how and where it will all fit. This sort of detail is very sketchy on the plans. as the designer assumes that you've done a few builds, if you're building from a short kit to start with. There is also no detail on where or how to provide a battery hatch, but I'm thinking that making the upper fus., forward of the cockpit area removable, will give access to enough of the innards to fit a suitable platform for a 3S pack of 1200 to 1800 mah, and also give access to the motor and esc after the model is done, in case servicing or replacement is needed.

The motor will be an AXI 2212/34, with a Castle Pheonix 18 esc, with 4 GWS Naro servos for the 3 axis controls.
She is comming along great Brad ,i keep telling myself to buy a formost sanding tool and a formost miter cutter but i still just hold my sticks on a angle ,cut by eye and then sand to fit. A friend has the sanding one and he says it saves him alot of time. I will build my own out of hand rail with a slot already there to slide on a track or i will bite the bullet and spend 42 bucks for both. joe http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/for/for154.htm
Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #10
BradT

Awards Showcase

Joe, I have both the miter sander and saw, but for the pieces in the tail, almost all of the ends of the sticks are square, as there are notches laser cut into the surrounding frame for them; a very thoughtful part of the design. I cut each piece slightly too long, then just lightly pass the sanding bar over the end, until the stick is a snug press fit, then touch a drop of ca to it.

On a side note, I have a new Spectrum 6115 parkflyer rx available to use for this model, but have no experience with this type, so I don't know if its suitable for a model that I might fly as much as 500 ft away. What experience do other pilots have with this unit?

Brad
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

On a side note, I have a new Spectrum 6115 parkflyer rx available to use for this model, but have no experience with this type, so I don't know if its suitable for a model that I might fly as much as 500 ft away. What experience do other pilots have with this unit?

Brad
Brad,

My MM EVA, MM P-51, and Pocket Rocket all have AR6110s. (the predecessor to the 6115) Smaller planes, but I have had my EVA very high and very far away... No issues. My receivers are basically under the battey, in the the middle of the plane. I can fly the pattern at the club field with others and I've never had an issue. I think as long as you keep the reciever away from the ESC and not blocked by the battery you should be fine.

Just my experience...

Also, nice work so far. I keep looking at the Aerodrome kits... It nice to see a build of one.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #12
BradT

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve. First hand experience is what i like to hear, and the rx seems to have served you well. My mode of flying for this type of model is low, slow, and in close, so I shouldn't be pushing the limits of the rx in my normal flights. My GWS TM 400, Eflite Jenny, and SE 5a are all flown this way; it's just so satisfying to cruise past at eye level on a nice calm day.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Joe, I have both the miter sander and saw, but for the pieces in the tail, almost all of the ends of the sticks are square, as there are notches laser cut into the surrounding frame for them; a very thoughtful part of the design. I cut each piece slightly too long, then just lightly pass the sanding bar over the end, until the stick is a snug press fit, then touch a drop of ca to it.

Brad
I have seen laser cut kits with those slots for sticks but i have always scratch built my own planes and have never bought one. I have all the stuff i need to start Ivans twin otter and should buy the cutter and sander soon. The slots for sticks look like they have a better glue joint with more surface to glue to and i have been looking at pat trittles tri pacer for a future build. I have a park flyer radio also but i have never used it beacuse i have 2 dx7's . joe
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
rreid7

Club: AMA #987422
Friends: (0)

Brad
I've been using the 6115e in the Aerodrome RC Jenny I built last winter, as well as most of my other planes. No worries about range with any of them, including the Formosa and Corsair, which I tend to fly farther away than the Jenny.

I really enjoyed building the Jenny, and look forward to doing more of their kits in the future.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
BradT

Awards Showcase

rreid, your confirmation of steve's experience has eased my concerns about using the 6115, I'll install it and fly worry-free.

Joe, you'll like the Twin Otter, it flies just like all of Ivan's designs, light, smooth, and predictable. Since Ivan is a clubmate of mine, I've had the opportunity over the last 12 years to fly almost all of his models, as he is very generous in offering the sticks to those around him, and every one was a delight to fly. Since he has limited space to store all the planes he's built, he sells 1 or 2 each year, so I've owned several of his prototypes, the Mossie, Beaufighter, Shoestring, and Partenavia, and all were great fliers.

You did a great job on the Solent, and I look forward to your Otter build.

Brad.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Nice Build Brad keep up the great Work, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era