Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Managed to get a session in last night home .... WOW !!

The change to a 4.75 x 4.75 gave it a whole new life ... and sound. Video will upload later ... Speeds from 80 - 110kph .... not bad I reckon for a flatplate scratch-build depron machine.
Used the catapult - beautiful ! Went away straight as a die.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #27
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Video of first catapult launch of F15 ...............

http://youtu.be/eKNNDDdDMiY

Very pleased with it ........... it's rekindled my desire to get my twin motor version of PKJ sorted !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #28
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

very...very...very cool!!!!Nigel,she flys great and the bunglaunch was perfect. I've come to realize the best days to video are cloudy as the back drop lets our planes show up better as a black silhouette. nice build. really need to get the desirer to try and build something like this one day.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #29
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Stu ..... I was wary about the model before I flew her ... couldn't see that such a simple model would perform so well ... but BOY ! is she cooooooooooool !

The size is just right and will not be building the larger plan version. What i will do is modify to fit a couple of 40mm EDF's in next one.
This one is already had modification to get a 920mAh 4S in ... so when I get back from Singapore - she'll be launched with a 3S as normal to make sure all still OK - then the 4S put in to really see what she'll do.

The whole model took LESS than one standard sheet of 6mm Depron. I used a spare PKJ light high KV motor ... and spare prop / ESC etc. The LiPo's are from early days of my 50mm T45 ... so basically I was on the rummage bin to complete her for peanuts. The reward - well you see the video !

Stu - it was SO SIMPLE to make ... and my mods make it even more simple ... you have various stuff from the PKJ's ... why not get some 6mm depron and do it ?

The colour scheme gave me trouble as all I found was the standard USAF grey .... having flown the first 2 flights with that and the couple of stripes on top - I added the white next day. Next one will be all-over white and then sun-burst stripes to get her visible.
Maybe you noticed in the video, that as she flew overhead - the silhouette was EXACTLY an F15 ... Steve S certainly designed a brill plan model. OK - I took a few liberties and altered a few bits to make it easier to build ... but it's a sound design.

Can't wait to get home again.

Nigel

Old 10-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #30
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Home tmw ..... itching to get in air again !!

Have 4S to try in her next ...

Nigel

Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #31
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I don't believe it ....

Tried to catapult launch her ... but wouldn't play ! Then realised that ramp angle was too much and made it difficult for hook to work.
Pal offered to hand launch .......... she rolled straight into the ground ... snapped of the nose.

Got her home and asbout 10 mins with epoxy had her back together again.

Video is being sorted now ... will link shortly.

Nigel

Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #32
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The fateful Torque Roll vid !!

If anyone else can give any thoughts after watching .. I'm all ears !!

What I don't understand is previous she launched fine 2x ... then this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mezv...ature=youtu.be

Nigel

Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #33
pistnbroke

Club: I do not belong to a club, I just fly at a park with other enthusiasts
Friends: (4)
Default shumate F 15

Hi All,

After a 27 year break from modelling, I started again in 2011 and can't believe how it has all changed, I have so much to learn!

Anyway, when I saw the F-15 plan, even better I can buy Depron locally, I had to build it. Only problem is, I lack creativity and skill when it comes to colours and schemes...... never mind, I still look forward to flying it when finished.

Regards
Ian

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ian's pics 024.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	163762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ian's pics 001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	163763  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #34
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The fateful Torque Roll vid !!

If anyone else can give any thoughts after watching .. I'm all ears !!

What I don't understand is previous she launched fine 2x ... then this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mezv...ature=youtu.be

Nigel

Have a good idea now what happened ....

The bungee launcher was used to try launch her shortly before but due to uneven ground - angle was too steep and she kept slipping the hook. On last release - she slid of the rails onto the nose ... and may have cracked the front fuselage - where in the video she is broken after hitting the ground. We think that was cause.

Nigel

Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #35
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pistnbroke View Post
Hi All,

After a 27 year break from modelling, I started again in 2011 and can't believe how it has all changed, I have so much to learn!

Anyway, when I saw the F-15 plan, even better I can buy Depron locally, I had to build it. Only problem is, I lack creativity and skill when it comes to colours and schemes...... never mind, I still look forward to flying it when finished.

Regards
Ian
This baby flies well ... I built the 70% smaller version from his tiled plans. I also linked the ailerons and elevators together ........... boy does she roll !!
Because it's hard to get CF rod etc. here - I cut the elevators into fixed stabs and elevators hinged ... removing the need to fabricate that central rod affair. I use a 9gr servo each side for aileron / elevator.

Nigel

Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #36
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi All,

Regards
Ian
And ? Did you fly it or not ?

Nigel

Old 05-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #37
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I set-up the bungee catapult with extra tension for my 1.4kg F16 70mm .... and thought it would be fine for my lesser models .....

The lightweight F15 which normally goes of sweet on the catapult was yanked hard into the ground, breaking up the left wing. I've glued it back together but it doesn't look right - it seems to have a bend in that wing which I cannot remove.

Looks like I may have to cut and replace whole wing or build another ...

Nigel

Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #38
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Wind today too much for comfortable flying ...

Decided to replace the wing on this little gem ...

Here's the wing cut away and you can see the deformed even after repair ..

Getting sorted with 6mm Depron to cut out new ...

New next to old ...

In place for alignment ..

Finished ... took about 2 hours total ....

Nigel

Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #39
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I can't seem to win at moment with this model ... all was fine with her till she had a failed launch ... the wing / fuselage cracked. Repaired and then only trouble every launch after ... motors burning out, ESC's failing ... wing cracking ....

So new wing ... new motor .... new ESC ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IagWw...ature=youtu.be

ESC again fails !!

Reckon I will downgrade the motor and give her a fighting chance !!

Nigel

Old 06-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #40
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I've just swapped the motor out for the 2805 Emax 2840kv from HK .....

With 3S 1300 pack - she was drawing 14.8A on a 5x5 prop.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5353

A lot less amps than previous ... so I'm hoping that she'll still give good speed and stay in air longer !

If the motor proves itself - it could be a good candidate for twin installations ....

Nigel

Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #41
pistnbroke

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
And ? Did you fly it or not ?

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I have not tried my F-15 yet but I am getting close, I am a bit put off about launching pushers at the moment as I sliced another finger the weekend just gone launching someone else's pusher jet. Only 9 stitches this time!

I will post a pick and a small video when I do the maiden.

Regards
Ian
Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #42
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Nigel,

I have not tried my F-15 yet but I am getting close, I am a bit put off about launching pushers at the moment as I sliced another finger the weekend just gone launching someone else's pusher jet. Only 9 stitches this time!

I will post a pick and a small video when I do the maiden.

Regards
Ian
You need this ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IagWwuqkw1E

see attached files ...

Nigel

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bungee launcher construction pt1.pdf (1.70 MB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf Bungee launcher construction pt2.pdf (1.65 MB, 35 views)

Old 06-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #43
pistnbroke

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for the information on the bungee launcher, I was tossing between trying a dolly and the bungee. I think I will try the bungee.

Regards
Ian
Old 06-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #44
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for the information on the bungee launcher, I was tossing between trying a dolly and the bungee. I think I will try the bungee.

Regards
Ian
Believe me .. the bungee is the best thing ever ... no more stitches and A&E dept's at hospitals ... best few $ ever ...

Nigel

Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #45
pistnbroke

Hi Nigel,

Well, I have taken your advice and started on a launcher today. Thank you for the information.

To be honest, after my mishap last weekend, there is no way I intend to handlaunch a pusher again or want any of my flying friends launching my aircraft, as I don't want it to happen to them, it has really put the wind up me.

Looking at your video, I may have some questions for you too, if you don't mind.

Regards
Ian
Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #46
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Ian,

+1 on the Nigellauncher ! He should kit it. I've grounded my squadron until I can build one. Never had a problem with "prop in the slot" or edf's but end fuse pusher? Not good. I intend to build one myself .

Cheers,
Hawk
Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #47
pistnbroke

Hi Hawk,

I have my launcher hardware and I have completed the frame. On completing the frame I rested my F-15 on it and the rails interfere with the elevator, if I widen the rails, the F-15 will just about be out on the wingtips and there is also the chance that if the aircraft is not catapulted straight and true, the elevator may hit the frame.

I also have had a brain wave this evening and am going to try something else and if it works like I hope it will, I will then post it so others can modify and try my idea. I know my idea will not suit everyone but if it makes the hobby safer.... that's a good thing.

Anyway, I will keep you posted after I have made it and tried it.

Regards
Ian
Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #48
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Nigel,

Well, I have taken your advice and started on a launcher today. Thank you for the information.

To be honest, after my mishap last weekend, there is no way I intend to handlaunch a pusher again or want any of my flying friends launching my aircraft, as I don't want it to happen to them, it has really put the wind up me.

Looking at your video, I may have some questions for you too, if you don't mind.

Regards
Ian
Go ahead ... I may be slow in answering sometimes as I travel a lot ... but keep them on forum as well unless specific for me... that way others benefit .. and please there are NO stupid questions !

Nigel

Old 06-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #49
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Hawk,

I have my launcher hardware and I have completed the frame. On completing the frame I rested my F-15 on it and the rails interfere with the elevator, if I widen the rails, the F-15 will just about be out on the wingtips and there is also the chance that if the aircraft is not catapulted straight and true, the elevator may hit the frame.

I also have had a brain wave this evening and am going to try something else and if it works like I hope it will, I will then post it so others can modify and try my idea. I know my idea will not suit everyone but if it makes the hobby safer.... that's a good thing.

Anyway, I will keep you posted after I have made it and tried it.

Regards
Ian
The low tail feathers on the F15 - yes that initially looks like a problem ... but I ignored it and went ahead and launched ... as you see on the vid - it was fine.

I am considering a 'dolly' to sit on the rails lifting the model up ... not because of the 15 ... but my Twin Parkjet needs to be raised so I can apply power before launch.
The 15 is easily remedied by a flat plate sitting the length of the rails .. as the 15 has a flat fuselage bottom that will sit nicely.

I have to say that my 15 does not have all-moving elevator stabs. I do not have the items that Steve uses in his original build ... so I fixed the forward part of the stabs and hinged the rear ... creating a normal elevator set up. I think this helps me get away with model resting on the tail feathers ...

I also did not fit the servo inside as he did ... I fitted a servo each side between main wing and stabs - linking both to be tailevators ... the roll is just so fast - it's amazing !!

Here you can see the servo mounted and the two rods .. wing was split and I am replacing it ...

There are other mods I made ...

Inside of the inlets - I cut holes into the fuselage to let air in to flow through the centre V fuselage .. this to aid cooling the ESC that sits in there. I also cut slots in the top deck sides near rear where it sits on top of wing - to let air flow out ... having already cut a hole in the wing under.

I have since removed the CF motor mount and fitted a ply ring for the lesser motor now fitted. The 3200kv was just burning up LiPo's as fast as I could put them in !! So now I have a 2805 2840kv motor fitted that draws 15A instead of the 50A previous motor.

I love this little baby - mines the 70% version .. as it is small, goes in corner of car out of the way but really looks the part in the air.

Nigel

Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #50
pistnbroke

Hi Nigel,

I was wondering if you have ever tried launching your models from the ground without the guide rails, or has anybody else tried this and what the results are?

Regards
Ian

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets