Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
JR2012

Friends: (0)
Default Need Recommendations - Micro Plane

I started RC when I was a kid with nitro boats and cars - I had 2 boats, one with 3.5cc outboard and one with 7.5cc engine. The car was a nitro and it did about 75MPH.

I bought a trainer when I was 12 and was flying at a local club, I could fly around fine but never got to the difficult part of landing. I had a ARF (which was crude at the time compared to today's models) and the elevator broke in 2 pieces while flying and went into salt water. Sadly, I never went to the field again after that.

Advance to about 5 years ago and now I'm 40, I bought Real Flight 2.0 then Real Flight 5.5 and have logged tons of hours flying on my PC. I fly alot of the different planes and I'm probably Early Intermediate to late beginner for 4 channel.

I recently purchased the Trojan T28 Micro and the Full Size Park Zone Trojan T28. I have flown the T28 Micro about 10 times with no issues. Flew the T28 larger plane once but let someone else land it because it was pretty windy about 15 mph and wanted to bring it home in 1 piece on its maiden flight.

I have a few questions and would appreciate any help you can give me.

1.) I am having fun with the Trojan Micro T28 and looking to get another Micro. I have the Spectrum 5E (wish I had better one to load different planes in it but oh well) Which plane in your opinion would be the next best micro for me to continue to learn? I was looking at that 3D SBACH because it has the asx3 but maybe it would be to big of a step up??

2.) I have a flying field about 30 mins away which is why I don't get to fly the big Trojan T28 as often. Is there a nice plane that you would suggest that is say between a Micro and the larger T28. For example, maybe something like 30" wing span where I don't need such a big field yet I can fly it in 10-15 mph winds where the micros seem to be more sensitive to wind.

3.) I have searched on the internet for various tricks/stunts. Is there a PDF or video series that I can download to learn all the stick movements, for example, inside loop, outside loop, hammerhead stall, inverted flight etc. I have taught myself a lot of these maneuvers but not sure I always do them properly. For example I was doing a loop at full speed when in reality you are supposed cut power at top of apex and return stick to neutral when loop is complete. It would be helpful so I can continue to advance as a RC Pilot.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/le...3d/index.shtml
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...ics/maneuvers/
The "Beast"
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLU4850
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
JR2012

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Thank you so much Hank.

I am considering buying the
FMS T-28 Trojan Electric RC Warbird/Airplane Receiver-Ready PNP

Guess that would be the plane that half way between my big T28 and the micro.

How would this plane be to fly? Harder or easier then the micro?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

I bought the Parkzone UM Spitfire AS3X as my second micro airplane and have had a blast with it. It really does fly like a larger plane in moderate wind. I saw a seasoned RC pilot try to maiden one of the FMS mini T-28 Trojans (31.5" wingspan) from Banana Hobby this past weekend. The CG is hard to get right on those, the flight ended badly about 30 seconds into the flight. Also this past weekend, another one of my accomplished flying buddies maidened an FMS mini P-40 Warhawk (another Banana Hobby 31.5" wingspan plane) that I gave him as a gift. Again, the CG was off and after about 3 minutes of flying, the plane went into an unrecoverable spin and nosed in from about 50' up. The results weren't pretty. Combine this with the difficulty in getting spare parts and you can see the problems these little planes have. The thing the Parkzone micros have going for them is that they don't weigh much so a crash does minimal damage to the airframe.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
JR2012

Thanks for all the replies..... I decided to go with another ParkZone micro..... UMX GEE BEE R2 with ASX3....

Check it out here.....

Yes, those other planes you mentioned seem like such a good deal and the ParkZone planes seem alot more expensive but so far ParkZone has great customer service and I am having good experiences so I'll probably stick with Park Zone.

I think I'm in trouble, I am adding a plane to the stable about every month or so..... addictive!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
motorhead540

Club: funfliers

YES!! It is an addiction just like any other i currently own 12 helis and about 15 planes and still look for new aircraft daily just picked the eflite carbon cub yet to maiden and an L39 ducted fan jet last month , converting my 600n to DFC FBL W/BEASTX just wish it would quit raining so i could fly more darn it's winter thank god for indoor and micros
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
For more variety check out these sites for ultras and micros
http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog
http://www.microinvent.com/mambo/ind...d=18&Itemid=37
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
upwind

You may like to have a look at the WOT4?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)

Personally I find the UMX Sbach 3D with AS3X easier to fly than my 2 micro Champs. Now I have used my radio(DX7S) with EXPO to tame the sensitivity down a bit. It flies quite predictably even in fair wind. I also have the UMX 3d Beast which is OK by I like flying the Sbach more.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes