Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-22-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)
Default Missing in action

Hi gang!

I haven't been that active here lately, so I thought I should check in. Rest assured that I haven't forgotten about you guys. After all, you were the ones who encouraged me to continue trying when I made my first very pathetic attempts at RC flights.

As some of you know, I've been busy helping the team at another site to get it off the ground. On top of that, there's been a lot of post-Sandy cleanup, along with a pretty hectic business travel schedule.

I'll try to be more active here when things calm down a bit. You know I love this place!

AMA #959089
Old 11-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Good to see ya !!
bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 781.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	164341  

Monkey Minion'air
Old 11-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Ya glad to have you back I was beginning to think Sandy blew you away.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Hi gang!

I haven't been that active here lately, so I thought I should check in. Rest assured that I haven't forgotten about you guys. After all, you were the ones who encouraged me to continue trying when I made my first very pathetic attempts at RC flights.

As some of you know, I've been busy helping the team at another site to get it off the ground. On top of that, there's been a lot of post-Sandy cleanup, along with a pretty hectic business travel schedule.

I'll try to be more active here when things calm down a bit. You know I love this place!
Hopefully your home and yours are still in good shape. Years ago I traveled on business to Wilkes Barey PA to get an electric power substation back on line with eight of our 13,000 volt circuit breakers and their controls. That whole entire town got hit with between 15 and 50 feet of water. The breakers had been completely under water for two days. I was there on the third day, and got 7 of them working again.

Never saw such a mess in my life, and hope to never see it again. I left that place with tears in my eyes.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

We're in decent shape. The house made it fine, but there's been lots of trees down and lots of mess to clean up. We lost power for about a week, but a good Honda generator and some... ehm... ghetto engineering to hook it up to the house made it bearable.

AMA #959089
Old 11-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
We're in decent shape. The house made it fine, but there's been lots of trees down and lots of mess to clean up. We lost power for about a week, but a good Honda generator and some... ehm... ghetto engineering to hook it up to the house made it bearable.
Yeah, four years ago, after spending 14 hours in the hospital with my wife after major back surgery, then getting home and loosing power, and having to bail out the sump pump until 7AM the following morning. Next day I picked up a 3500 Watt Briggs and Stratton generator.

Thought that generator would never be used again, but since then, we've lost power four more times at 6 hours plus each time.

I know a little about that "engineering". The garage has a 50 Amp 240 VAC service in it, so .

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

welcome back swede!!! glad your ok after sandy,but do yourselves a huge favor,skip the jury rigging wires to run the house and wire up a tranfer box to the house circut box.choose six to ten circuts to use when power goes out you plug the genni into the outside inlet box and throw a few switchs. wala!!almost the whole house works on the 8000w generac. i have hundreds in food to feed my family of 5 adults that would have gone to the trash this last storm and six hr's would have been plenty to defrost freezers. we lost power for only 24hr but homes in my town were without for more than a week.

now i want to build a permenant 8ftx8ft shed to lock up the genni and fuel storage plus a motor cycle and few other unused items that cramp the garage. the genni will be safe and ready to use hard wired to the house.

the reason i say skip jury rigging,if you not isolated from the power service entering your home you'll be feeding elec to the outside powerlines risking repairmen who think juice is down. 2nd reason is if a fire starts and the fire dept rules invalid wiring methods used for the genni caused the fire. not sure what the insurance companies would say. i say they should pay whatever the cause.

jmho and ya still have warm enough weather to set yourselves up decently without freezing thee buns off.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Welcome back Swede We all get busy with other projects and have to take time off Its happened to me too Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Hey Swede!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
Good to see ya back my friend and im very relieved that you weathered sandy well
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat