Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
LA Ming

Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
Friends: (1)
Default Newbie!!

Hi All:

You can blame hoghead5150 for me being here! However, looks to be an excellent site/resource for electric R/C flying.

In A Nutshell:

I have flown control line model planes off/on since the mid-1960's. I have just recently reactivated my C/L hobby after a 12 year absence. I am also at the beginning stage of learning R/C. I have about zero desire to have a glow engine R/C. All of my interest thus far is in electric flight, foamie "warbirds", both WW1 and WW2.

Alas... one must learn to crawl, next comes walking... and THEN you can run.

Sooo... I'm flying a lowly Hobbyzone Super Cub and trying to get the basic skills under my belt before I take my next "step". (i.e. An aileron airplane.)

At this point (and it could change, 'ya know)... for my first radio and aileron airplane I'm leaning toward one of the Spektrum 6i series radios and a Parkzone T-28.

However, before that time arrives... I still have a lot of stick time with my Super Cub to put in. (I think I've flown my Super Cub about a 10 or 12 times so far? No incidents needing repairs YET.)

Ah well... enough of my drivel for now.

Be forewarned: I'm sure I'll be pestering you all with endless questions if I should continue to pursue this silly hobby.

Happy flying!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

Frankenstein Build Contest Award  100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW 
Friends: (67)

LA Ming, welcome to Wattflyer! Its never a pester to answer a question about Electric RC!

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
LA Ming

Thanks for the welcome Nitro Blast.

I saw your nickname and the first thing I thought about was the Fox "Blast" glow fuel I use to use back in my control line combat days. Fox "Blast" was 50% nitro. Still have one of the (empty) cans I've saved.

Ah to be young and fearless again!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Welcome aboard, LA Ming! Sounds like you're doing pretty well already. And you're making wise choices with your tx's and planes. The Dx6i was my first computer radio, and it served me well. I moved on to the Dx8 now after about 4 years, as I finally needed (Wanted?) the extra features. But the 6i is great to start with. The PZ T-28 should be a good choice for a plane, too. I never flew one, (Well a guy let me try his Micro-T-28) but hear nothing but good stuff about them. Except at our field, the guys seem to lose the canopies in flight alot. If I ever get one, I'm adding another magnet or 2 to the canopy.

And don't worry about pestering. Almost impossible here! Now, if you showed up and said you have your eyes on a 100mph eDF for your first plane...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery5
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Hey LA! Welcome to WF!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Chucksolo69

Congrats and welcome to the hobby. There is no such thing as a "lowly" Super Cub. I still fly mine even after graduating to 4+ channel warbirds and sport planes.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 View Post
There is no such thing as a "lowly" Super Cub.
How right you are! I started with the Apprentice, and now I"m up to flying warbirds, EDF's, micro heli's, and getting ready to buy my first 'serious' aerobatic/3D plane, but once I saw a HZ Super Cub in action, I was very tempted to get one myself. Only available hangar space and limited funds have kept me from getting it. Looks like great fun, and you can get floats, too. That is one great plane!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
LA Ming

Thanks for all the new "welcome to the asylum" posts!

Yup... the Super Cub is indeed a lil' doozie. I do hope it takes me right up to being ready for an airleron plane.

Been pitchin' some things around with ol' hoghead5150.

IF I decide to stay with Spektrum (for the Hobbyzone/Parkzone BNF planes that I seem to gravitate toward)... I may go for this:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodId=SPMR7800

However, I'm also going to look at Futaba's offerings. Waaaaaay back in my "dark ages" (when my hair was dark.... shoot... when I even HAD hair)... I used Futaba in my competiton R/C car years. They were great systems then... likely still great systems?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 

The DX7s is a very capable radio, depending on what kind of flying you plan to do. Good for airplanes and helis. No glider programming, should you be thinking about gliders some day.

In this package the DX7s is actually lower cost than a DX6i and is a MUCH more capable radio.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...s-md2-SPM7800C

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
LA Ming

Thanks AEAJR.

I also note that if I do indeed go with Hobbyzone/Parkzone BNF airplanes, I could step into a DX7s for $249 because of not needing a receiver.

I am also taking a look at these two offerings:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBCKD&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBWGR&P=0

Unfortunately, I would give up the BNF capability of the Hobbyzone/Parkzone airplanes that I'm very fond of and would need receivers for each plane I purchase from Hobbyzone/Parkzone.

Decisions, decisions!

Oh wait...

What do you say I learn to fly my Super Cub more proficiently BEFORE I spend chunks of $$$ on a "next system n' plane"?

Yeah... that's the ticket!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I'm sure they are all good systems. You already see the advantage for Spektrum as far as those BNF planes. Just have to weigh the pros and cons of each one. Like anything, I just recommend reading peoples reviews on a product before you get it. The one plane I didn't do my research on before buying is the one pictured in the background of my avatar! Learned my lesson!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

T-28 is one top of the list for aileron, great choice.
A simulator I failed to use at the start, and paid the price, as I wasn't as gifted on not damaging things during the learning curve. Even free ones, so no excuse not to start with one, reset button instead of costly repairs.

Keep us posted your in for some fun.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Thanks AEAJR.

I also note that if I do indeed go with Hobbyzone/Parkzone BNF airplanes, I could step into a DX7s for $249 because of not needing a receiver.

I am also taking a look at these two offerings:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBCKD&P=0

Unfortunately, I would give up the BNF capability of the Hobbyzone/Parkzone airplanes that I'm very fond of and would need receivers for each plane I purchase from Hobbyzone/Parkzone.

Decisions, decisions!

Oh wait...

What do you say I learn to fly my Super Cub more proficiently BEFORE I spend chunks of $$$ on a "next system n' plane"?

Yeah... that's the ticket!
Are you kidding?

DX7 for $300 with 3 receivers that are worth $200 ... Outstanding value

DX7 for $249 with no receivers - big mistake. Good radio but a horrible value compared to the $300 package.

I don't know much about the Futaba or the Hitec you listed but both companies make excellent products. I fly Futaba 9C Super myself.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #14
LA Ming

xmech2k:

Guess it would be hard to go "wrong" staying with a good brand of radio. Still trying to weigh the pros/cons of going with a Spektrum system.

phillipmorris:

Yup, the T-28 is at the top of the list on my "Definite Maybe" aileron planes. (Just found out that the T-28 was used in Southeast Asia during the early-mid 60's after being retrofitted with armament. Was called a AT-28D. Mean looking! Hmmmmm.)

Ah, a simulator. I had RealFlight G4 a couple years or so ago when I first purchased the Super Cub. I honestly think that helped me with my first flight. Unfortunately, I thought I was "done" with R/C and sold the sim. Mistake.

Kind'a wish I had it back. I saw that RealFlight makes a "Basic" simulator. I'm didn't use the whistles and bells on the 4 version... just needed a good way to practice. Maybe the "Basic" would do me well as an aid to help me (again) with airleron flying?

AEAJR:

I'm used to making mistakes. No biggie. You'll see me make more of 'em if I continue to enter R/C and post here!

Frankly, though, the Spektrum idea ain't a "given". I have plenty of time... I will read and learn. Plus, I intend to go to the regional hobby shop (some 28 miles away) and see what brands he offers. (I purchased my Super Cub through him.) I really want to be be able to feel "in the hand" the radios I've mentioned. If his prices are competitive with online sales (they were with the Super Cub), it would be nice to have a dealer behind me.

OH...

I crammed in a quick trip to the airport and flew tonight after getting home from work! PERFECT weather and ZERO wind. Flew out both my battery packs practicing landings/etc. I still suck at landings... but it was a great evening!

Later!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #15
LA Ming

Hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving! We did. Daughter n' her boyfriend and our grand daughter were over... wife outdid herself on the meal n' trimmin's! Life is good!

Well... after the daughter n' boyfriend left for his family gathering (the grand daughter staying behind for a couple days)... I loaded up the Super Cub and headed for the flying field.

Wild day! During my second flight... the wind picked up out of nowhere (my attenae ribbon was flapping straight out!) and I had my hands full with the Super Cub.

Thankfully, I landed it safely (t'weren't pretty... but it worked)... and decided to just use what little batteries I had left practicing ground handling (taxi). In all a great day and was glad the wind didn't do me in.

FWIW:

Now leaning toward the Futaba system linked above. I think it's my past experience with Futaba from back in my R/C car racing days. The Jury's still out, however!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #16
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

At this point (and it could change, 'ya know)... for my first radio and aileron airplane I'm leaning toward one of the Spektrum 6i series radios and a Parkzone T-28.

However, before that time arrives... I still have a lot of stick time with my Super Cub to put in. (I think I've flown my Super Cub about a 10 or 12 times so far? No incidents needing repairs YET.)

Ah well... enough of my drivel for now.

Be forewarned: I'm sure I'll be pestering you all with endless questions if I should continue to pursue this silly hobby.

Happy flying!
You can't go wrong with the Spektrum line of radios. One big item with the various Spektrum lines of transmitters is their "Model Match" feature. This allows the user to program into the transmitter several different models (The DX6i allows 10 different models). And, if you have the wrong model set up in your transmitter and it does not match the model you are about to fly, the model is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD! That prevents taking off with reversed ailerons with the wrong model setup as an example.

That plus the great number of "Bind and Fly" models that work directly with the Spetrum transmitters.

As for those "endless questions", a number of us old time wattflyer guys enjoy helping out the newbies. After all, every one of us was a Electric RC model newbie at one time or another.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

As a Futaba user myself I can tell you that I am very happy with mine. My recommendation of the DX7s package came from your commends about the Horizon BnF planes. Naturally if you go to Futaba you won't be able to fly the BnFs.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 11-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

La Ming,

We've been expecting you. It's like Hotel California here. "You can never leave !"

Looks like you're well on your way and are making all the right decisions. The guys commenting above are some of WF's best RC minds. If nothing else, you'll learn alot in a very short period of time. Check out AEAJR's manifesto on electric flight featured under sticky's in this forum. A must read. Denny V can give you a crash course in electronics.

I started off with the HZSC when I returned from a 30 year absence and have since modded her out to nines. (ailerons, 2.4, bigger wheels,floats, bigger motor, etc.) I keep her around for float flys. Lot's of upgrade threads and youtubes on this iconic trainer. The recommendation for the PZ-T-28 is also a great one IMO. That was my second plane and no regrets there. Great flying plane and not intimidiating at all. I've souped mine up and fly her on 4S now.

If you're like me , you'll experiment with different type of craft and flying experiences as you move on( 3D, EDF's, etc) . It's fun to scratchbuild also if you're into that.

I'm also a Futaba user with the 6EX but I'm looking to upgrade to the 8FGA Super soon. Found them available for $300.00+ shipping ( Hey Santa, that's a hint). I buy Frysky Fasst compatible 8 channel RX's for ~$25.00. Value Hobby now sells them. The Spektrums JR's, Hitec's are all good choices as well. I'd say, if most of your buddies are flying with one TX , it doesn't hurt to be in the same conversation. Each brand has it's quirks. Somethings like expo on Futaba are opposite on Spektrum for example.

Best of luck !

-Hawk

P.S. Don't forget the Oklahoma Dust Bowl next summer. A really fun fundraising event for MS with raffle. I won 2 Yak-54's and the flying field is great !
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Welcome to Wattflyer! You're on a good path. No matter what brand of radio you pick from your list, you can't buy a bad radio there. Everybody seems satisfied with whatever radio they pick and then they snipe back and forth about whose is better.

I say as long as you enjoy the way your plane flies with it and it lands under your control every time you've got the best radio. I have Spektrum and can't think of any reason to steer anybody clear. I've flown Futaba in the past and was really happy there too. Don't you love it when the world if full of choices and almost all of them here are good?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #20
LA Ming

Hi again!

Had a chance to stop by the regional Hobbytown on my home from work to have a "look see" at today's radios. (I've known the owner forever and have purchased a lot of toys off him over the decades!) He handles Spektrum, Futaba, and HiTek.

I took a look at the Spektrum's and Futaba's he had on hand. Frankly, I couldn't tell a whit's difference between the two brands. (i.e. the feel of the gimbles, the way the throttle would rachet, etc.) Both radios look like they were made in the same Chinese factory! (Not a slam on either brand, just an observation.)

Thus, I am almost ready to pull the trigger and purchase the Futaba that I've linked below. (Hobbytown was not able to get close the value of the radio I link below.) I understand the radio below is Futaba's "older" technology and not the "latest greatest"... but it looks to be a very good value in order to get into an 8 channel radio that allows for future growth in my tastes/skills. Here's the link:

Those that "know"... I would be so appreciative if you could look over the specs and let me know if I need to reconsider on account of some lack/dated technology, etc.

dahawk:

If quanties of the radio you've found exist at your source, could you please PM me the link or something so I can take a look? Could be that it would be worth spending the additional $20?

All:

Though I truly can't say for sure where this R/C thing will take me, I will say that I scratch my (balsa) building itches via C/L, as well as my yearn for high-performance "adrenilin" flying. (Like 100+ MPH highly manuervable airplanes.)

Having been a C/L flyer off/on for about 45+ years, I'm very comfortable with C/L and my sport flying crashing days are waaaaay in the past. Any rare crashes while sport flying are typically caused by equipment failure (like a line break or something similar). Of course, those times I flew combat on a regular basis, the "rarely crashed" statement can be thrown out the window! (However, I doubt I'll be flying combat again.)

I say that to say this:

What has appealed (still appeals) to me most about R/C are the ARF-type foam warbirds and low-hassle of the electric powered airplanes. I have totally different pursuits in R/C compared to C/L. (I see that as a good thing.)

Thus, I think it probable that I will not really be interested in hi-tech, hi-skilled R/C flying, such as 3D, pylon, ducted fan jets, etc. I like to relax and watch slower-paced realistic looking airplanes flying as realistically as I'm capable of. Further, once I get good enough... I would LOVE to have some WW1 (foam/electric) airplanes. (I've liked WW1 airplanes since I was a youngster.)

So, as you can see, there would have to be some very unexpected turn of events for me to ever want to get into the more radical sides of R/C. At least... this is my story an' I stickin' to it!!

Anyway... I'm getting closer to making the final decision on the radio part of my upgrading and make a purchase. Next will be the T-28... but I'll need to have a radio first. (In case it DOES turn out to be Spektrum, thus I would purchase BNF instead of PNP.)

Wow... done done it again: Typed a novelette!!!! Somebody stop me!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #21
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Hi again!

Had a chance to stop by the regional Hobbytown on my home from work to have a "look see" at today's radios. (I've known the owner forever and have purchased a lot of toys off him over the decades!) He handles Spektrum, Futaba, and HiTek.

I took a look at the Spektrum's and Futaba's he had on hand. Frankly, I couldn't tell a whit's difference between the two brands. (i.e. the feel of the gimbles, the way the throttle would rachet, etc.) Both radios look like they were made in the same Chinese factory! (Not a slam on either brand, just an observation.)

Thus, I am almost ready to pull the trigger and purchase the Futaba that I've linked below. (Hobbytown was not able to get close the value of the radio I link below.) I understand the radio below is Futaba's "older" technology and not the "latest greatest"... but it looks to be a very good value in order to get into an 8 channel radio that allows for future growth in my tastes/skills. Here's the link:

Those that "know"... I would be so appreciative if you could look over the specs and let me know if I need to reconsider on account of some lack/dated technology, etc.

dahawk:
op me!
FYI, what ever brand of radio you buy, make sure to check the price of their respective receivers. A Futaba receiver won't work with Spektrum, or any thing else. Same goes for Spektrum receivers, and all the others.

DennyV
Old 11-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #22
Marc

Club: indie & occasional trespasser
Friends: (0)

I too was a C/L combat competitor in District 8 some 30 years ago when a Fox Combat Special cost a mere $35. It was great fun, and I got to fly against some of the great ones like Richard Stubblefield, George Cleveland, and Buckstaff (the dark side of the Force). I never won a match against Tom Fluker who eventually became FAI World Champion. Those were the days!!!

If nitro is in your blood, I think you will eventually gravitate toward the performance end of electric RC.

Good Luck and Have Fun,
Marc
Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #23
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
If nitro is in your blood, I think you will eventually gravitate toward the performance end of electric RC.

Good Luck and Have Fun,
Marc
Nice thing about these newer electric brushless outrunner motors and respective batteries. No longer do you have to put together a model airplane and worry about whether the motor will have enough power to get the model off the ground.

I've got several 8 pound models with Hacker A50 series motors that pull these models straight up, out of sight.

DennyV
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #24
LA Ming

Dennis:

Understood on the tx/rx must be compatible. The Futaba I linked comes with this receiver:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBPKN&P=V

I trust it would be okay to use in a PNP Parkzone T-28?

Marc:

Maybe... but doubtful. I like my C/L stuff too much. Like I said, R/C vs C/L = WAY different preferences for me.

One thing I forgot to mention: My C/L has evolved to more of a "nostalgia" fix for me. That is, I no longer desire to fly fast/slow combat foamies/etc, or the "latest greatest" anything. Instead, I build the fascinating airplanes of my youth (Voodoo, Super Satan, Demon, Combat Cat, etc) and power them with appropriate engines (Fox Combat Special circa 1961, 35X, 36X NB and 36X BB). These old combat ships are way high enough performance for an adrenelin surge (the Super Satan hits nearly 120 MPH on Missle Mist)! I also want to build a nice Old Time or Classic stunt ship over the coming year. I think I would enjoy that, too. In my C/L, I like nostalgia and keeping it simple.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #25
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

The Futaba 8J is one of Futaba's newer radios. I think the 6J and 8J were released this year along with the FHSS protocol.

Mostly good reports. I am sure you will like it.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners