Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #26
LA Ming

Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
Friends: (1)

Thanks for the input, AEAJR.

How's the "built in antenna" working out?

This here's a big decision, 'ya know!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #27
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
I trust it would be okay to use in a PNP Parkzone T-28?
I think the basic servos for all systems are compatable, so as far as I know, if anything is PNP, you should be able to use any brand rx in it. It's just the bind-n-fly (BNF) that would be an issue.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #28
LA Ming

Thanks for the input xmech2k! Was just hoping it wasn't too heavy, too small, not enough range, etc!

Gonna' wait until after the flying session tomorrow to make a final decision on the radio. Hoping to get to see/handle some other options from the local R/C guys.

As for the Parkzone T-28: That's a given. Just waiting to see what radio I purchase before ordering the airplane (so I'll know what version to order).

Speaking of the T-28...

I really don't like the paint scheme that's currently available. (The "trainer scheme" white w/bright orange trim.)

However, I figure the airplane will take a beating as I learn to fly aileron. Sooo... once I feel "accomplished" and have quit dorking it on landings/etc... I will refurbish what will surely be a beat up airplane. That so, I'll make into a T-28 that I could "get into" as for its looks: The AT-28D. These were used in Viet Nam and the war paint and ordnance totally change the look into a serious looking "warbird". I can dig it.

Here's a link to a pic that can be used as inspirational fodder for when that time comes:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/North...72c204dacf6ebd

See? Looks pretty cool, eh?

Ah... so many toys to buy, so little time (and money)!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #29
LA Ming

The only thing constant in this roller coaster I've been riding is CHANGE!!!!

Was pushin' the pencil and double checking the prices of the T-28 and noticed something very interesting:

As noted before, there is a $60 dollar price difference between the BNF and PNP version. I originally reasoned that said difference would equal out by purchasing a PNP, then a Futaba receiver at $60. Presto: Nirvana is reached at the same price as a BNF.

BUT...

Just noticed the PNP's do NOT have batteries or a charger. (The BNF's do.) SOOOO... those items have to be added in... pushing the cost up further.

Hmmm.

I'm now thinking just go with a Spektrum and be done with it. If I should ever purchase a PNP from some other outfit besides the Hobby Horizon conglomerates... then a receiver, batteries, and charger will be needed.

THAT SO...

I'm thinking a DX8 tx only (have found them online for $299)... and the T-28 BNF.

Slam dunk. I'm done reading, surfing/costing, posting, confusing myself, etc.

Once the stuff's here it's charge the tx/plane batteries, learn to program the DX8 (slow the servo rates WAAAY down, for example), then bind the tx to the T-28... and start learning to fly aileron.

Boy... I analyze things to death!!

Fortunately, ALL the major names offer good radio systems... so I won't go wrong however I go.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #30
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

I'm now thinking just go with a Spektrum and be done with it. If I should ever purchase a PNP from some other outfit besides the Hobby Horizon conglomerates... then a receiver, batteries, and charger will be needed.

THAT SO...

I'm thinking a DX8 tx only (have found them online for $299)... and the T-28 BNF.

Slam dunk. I'm done reading, surfing/costing, posting, confusing myself, etc.

Once the stuff's here it's charge the tx/plane batteries, learn to program the DX8 (slow the servo rates WAAAY down, for example), then bind the tx to the T-28... and start learning to fly aileron.

Boy... I analyze things to death!!

Fortunately, ALL the major names offer good radio systems... so I won't go wrong however I go.
About half of my club members are using the DX8 transmitter, most of the other half are using either the DX7 or DX6 versions. And, should you ever have a problem (Only one or two guys in my club did have problems. One guy dropped the transmitter and busted a switch. They got the equipment back in 6 days, no charge.) Horizon Hobby generally has a very fast turn around, and more often than not, will do it at no charge, they even pay return shipping. I'd returned one DX7 transmitter and six AR7000 receivers to Horizon this past spring for a "Checkover" since they were over 4 years old. They checked it out, returned it at no charge, even paying return shipping.

I don't believe you'd want to slow the servos way down though, that could make the model very difficult to fly, even for an expert. Think of slowing down the steering wheel response in your car. This is a feature available on the DX8 transmitter for gear retracts and so on.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #31
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I'm up to a Dx8 now and love it. So many things you can do with it.

I guess the Dx8 + BNF option seems the most cost effective to start with, if you know you're sticking with the hobby. I guess with BNF, you're paying the cost of a rx extra, then get a battery and at least a basic charger for free. Sounds like a smart choice.

That camo T-28 looks great! All you'll need are some bombs & rockets! I love browsing Airliners.net for pics on the side!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
LA Ming

Hi Dennis V:

I think my "newbie" status is showing. What I hoped for was to limit the THROW digitally, not actually slow down the servo response. Is this not an option? (I thought "dual rates" did this?)

For sure, the throw rods will be placed in the most limiting control horn holes available!

xmech2k:

I may be wrong, but that's the conclusion I'm coming to: DX8 w/BNF planes. Besides, at THIS POINT... all the airplanes I want are Parkzone's. (T-28 to start with, then later the WW1 biplanes... some of the WW2 airplanes... and...) I like what I'm reading about parts (wings/etc) availability with the PZ line. Plus, my LHS handles a lot of the PZ line and can keeps parts on hand.

The AT-28D:

Yup! Outfitted for the attack role gives it an entirely new look! Like I said... once I've beat my poor little T-28 into submission... when the time comes for retrofitting and refinishing... that's what I would like to do with it.

Question: What common brands of paints are safe for the foam stuff? I've seen repainted foam PZ airplanes on various other forums.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #33
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

Thanks for the input, AEAJR.

How's the "built in antenna" working out?

This here's a big decision, 'ya know!
I don't own an 8J but I would not be concerned with the enclosed antenna. All antenna are enclosed in something. Plastic is transparent to 2.4 GHz waves so there should not be a problem.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #34
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Question: What common brands of paints are safe for the foam stuff? I've seen repainted foam PZ airplanes on various other forums.
Well, of course the water based paints are the safest. That's all I've used so far, but that's touch-up stuff. I'd recommend doing a forum search to see what the experts say, or hopefully an expert will chime in here. I know there are so many options and ways of doing that.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #35
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Hi Dennis V:

I think my "newbie" status is showing. What I hoped for was to limit the THROW digitally, not actually slow down the servo response. Is this not an option? (I thought "dual rates" did this?)
LOL

Yup, that's what needs to be done.

The DX8 transmitter has "triple rates" on the elevator, ailerons, and rudder, that is a three position switch. These triple rates allows as an example 50% throw on low, 75% throw on medium, and 100% throw on full command. If you are using two servos for the wing ailerons, the DX8 also allows easy adjustment of the amount of throw, differential throw, and center position of each servo. (That would be for the larger models.)

The DX8 also has what is called exponential control. Exponential control allows the elevator/aileron/rudder commands to be real "soft" around neutral, but back to normal when the stick is thrown to the extreme position.

As for me, I've not been using the triple rates on my models, mostly sticking to exponential control for the elevator/aileron/rudder commands.

I've got both the DX7 and DX8 transmitters. IMHO, the DX8 transmitter is much easier to program than my DX7.

One inportant thing with these electric models. That is programming in a throttle "Kill" switch function on the transmitter. A smaller model can hurt you if you accidentally have the motor power come on by bumping the transmitter throttle. The 1000 watt and bigger models can remove a finger (or worse) if that happens. My two biggest models run 2500 and 3000 watts at full power, turning a 19X12 prop at 7000 RPM.

The DX8 has an easy to program throttle kill feature, where in my model, I've programmed the gear switch to kill the throttle in one position, and allow throttle up in the other position. Other switches can also be used as a throttle kill switch.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #36
LA Ming

Thanks AEAJR for your reply. Makes sense.

Thanks to xmech2k for the paint input. You're right... whatever is used will likely have to be solvent free. (Or it could melt the foam.)

Also thanks to Dennis V for some input on the DX8. Sounds like a nice radio.

Had a chance to fly today. My landings still suck... but I did my first "Hammerhead" thingie today. In all, t'was a fun and relaxing day.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #37
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Nice field Ming !

Glad you're having a blast !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 11-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #38
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club

Reckon I'll throw out my welcome as well!

I've re-entered the hobby as well earlier this year and having a good time. I will also give a plug for the DX7s. I love mine, while many of it's capabilities I haven't learned yet I have lots of time. The rx's are readily available and cheap.

Best of luck!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #39
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Ming,

On the T-28, besides being an old Navy guy, the white and red color scheme provides much better visibility than the USAF grey version or camo versions IMO. Just saying,...

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #40
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Good point, dahawk. I find especially on overcast days, darker planes can just turn into a silhouette really quick, so you have to be good at remembering and determining orientation.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
LA Ming

Good point on the hi-viz thing. Will make mental note of that.

Fret thou not: It will BE a while before the "Viet Nam" version" of a T-28 appears from me IF it ever appears! Shucks... I've never flown an airleron airplane (except in a sim). SOOOO... should the Viet Nam version ever appear... by that time I will be an airleron WONDER FLYER. (i.e. It's a wonder he doesn't crash every time! )

FWIW:

My total airleron entry package I've put together is about $530... and that doesn't include extra battery packs for the T-28. (Which really are a "must have".) Had the ol "Shopping Cart" filled and ready to pull the trigger... got cold feet. Wow... lot's o' cash there. I have the funds in my Official Hobby Fund... but said fund will take a BIG hit. Backing up and regrouping, I'm now listing some dormant-for-years non-flying hobby stuff to help augment my Official Hobby Fund. May let some sales trickle in before I plop out the cash... then again... maybe not.

Decisions, decisions!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #42
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Good point, dahawk. I find especially on overcast days, darker planes can just turn into a silhouette really quick, so you have to be good at remembering and determining orientation.
Sidebar conversation.....

I have discovered something amazing, that is "HD Vision" style glasses. Like the "As seen on TV Blue Blockers" I bought a pair and keep them in my truck for grey overcast days. Even if you dont like them, try them for those days and you will be amazed... I was.

For $10, they are totally worth it.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #43
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Ming,

There an easier way to get to aileronville. I did it on my HZSC. I bought an extra wing . I think it cost ~$20.00 but you don't have to buy one. I wanted to flatten it to take out some of the dihedral. Sorta, kind of worked. Several good you tubes on how to cut ailerons and add the two 9g servos. Works great, cheap to do and makes it a much better flying machine.
http://youtu.be/CWj8DZvGyjQ
The other mods were:

- Stock Brushed motor to Brushless Park 480 w/ 40 amp esc
- 27 to 2.4
- Bigger 2.75 in. Dubro wheels
- laminated popsicle sticks to take up slop for rear wing mounting surface. It wears down after a while

There's a whole series of cool and easy to do mods out there in Super Cub land.

Give em a try. My Cubbie lives on to this day !

-Hawk

Old 11-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #44
LA Ming

Hi Hawk!

"One of these days" it would be cool to do such a conversion with my Super Cub. However... right now I've got the burn to have a new radio and new airplane... surely you know how that is?? (Sort of like a fever, I think.)

FWIW:

Ka-CHING!!! Already sold $75 of surplus hobby stuff... more on the market.

Hmmmm..... shopping cart time???
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #45
LA Ming

Ka-CHING!! Sold some more stuff!

Sooo...

Sent an email to my LHS seeing what kind of dealer incentives/promos/etc he has going on the stuff I'm interested in. Would like to purchase from him if he's close/same as the online place.

Hope to have a deal done either with him or the online place first of the week. Would be cool to be able to take a new system to the airport next weekend, eh?

BTW: I have a couple of the local guys that's offered to "buddy box" me when I'm ready to try my hand at the T-28. That's a good thing, no?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #46
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Just bought another Futaba 6EX Fasst TX, slightly used with RX, lipo and Nicad TX batteries, shipped for $90.00 So, after I bind all of my rx's I'll have a 12 (6 +6) model memory set-up with all the programming capability I need (for now anyway) . With Xmas coming and the fact that I just pulled the trigger on a Dynam Cessna C310, I couldn't justify the 8FG just yet.

Now I hope I lose the ebay auction or I'll have 18 model (6+6+6) memory - LOL

Ming,

Buddy boxing is a very good thing. Take them up on that. A very nice way to learn and to stay put of trouble. I still practice maneuvers with our club instructor. Learned inverted that way. I try to tackle one
manuever at a time and being on the buddy box really helps.

Admitting you're an addict comes first !

-Hawk

Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #47
Marc

Club: indie & occasional trespasser
Friends: (0)

That certainly is a nice smooth runway, but I think the FAA has some serious issues with you guys flying RC at or even near a real airport.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC112412c.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	164432
Old 11-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #48
LA Ming

Marc:

Not my intention to do anything outside the bounds nor create issues. Posts edited, there are other places to fly.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #49
hoghead5150

Friends: (2)

there are no faa regulations against flying rc airplanes at an airport. the ama also has no regulations against it. the airport we fly at is a municipal airport and we have permission from the manager to fly there.

we also have a radio on hand for aircraft communication, and spotters when we fly. we do this for piece of mind, and to keep everybody safe.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #50
Marc

Club: indie & occasional trespasser
Friends: (0)

Well maybe it's not against the law, but here is a link to the 1981 FAA Adivsory Circular (ref. 3.c):
http://www1.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...AC/ac91-57.pdf

And here is a link to the AMA Safety Code (ref. A.2.(c)):
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

I suppose it's okay if you notify the airport operator or control tower.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners