Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
wilinfla

Friends: (0)
Default Lipo question

I have a 3850 6s 45c battery that is 2 months old. I have used it for one flight and it worked fine, it was a short flight and not ran down. I charged it and it has been sitting for a few weeks. I put it on the charger today and one of the cells is showing less than 1.0. I won't mention the brand name but it is a quality battery, not cheap. I am new to electrics and I don't think that I did anything to damage it. What would cause a cell to go bad so quick? I certainly can't afford lifespans this short. Hopefully I can get this replaced under warranty.

Will
Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Will - first you should NOT store batteries fully charged. Doing that limits their potential life span.

That was not likely the cause of your issue however. Did you check the pack and cell voltages before that first charge? Was it balance charged before that first flight?

Mike
Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Sometimes you just get a bad battery. If it's a premium brand then they should replace it free of charge.

BTW.. It's bad practice to leave a LiPo stored for long periods in fully charged condition. Doing so seriously shortens the lifespan of the battery. Ideally you should store the battery at about 3.8v-3.9v per cell if leaving for more than a couple of days or so. However storing it fully charged wont have caused the cell to go down.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
wilinfla

Thanks for the help, I actually dischared it to a little less than 4 volts per cell after the flight. When I charged it before the first flight it was fine and the cells were all close. I will go to where I purchased it next week to see about a replacment. Thanks again.

Will
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
wilinfla

I just wanted to post a follow up. I sent the battery back and it is being replaced free of charge because it was a manufacturing defect. Good service from Thunder Power.

Will

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers