Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,167 Times in 2,075 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (313)
Default Beginner Scratch Building Tips

Hi Everyone This Thread is for the Beginner Builder to Learning Different Types of Ways to Build your scratch Built Planes, Please add any info that you Know to help others with their build, Thank You, Chellie

Info From Youtube

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392

http://www.rcplanetalk.com/trim.html

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39733

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ht=coke+bottle

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39138

Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

All right CHELLIE i will show how iam building a full airfoil wing,its like the video above but i use real ribs so i can make different airfoils and a balsa spar to make it stronger. You can see my ribs and the two pieces of foam that makes my slot for the main spar .This is one half of my wing and the main spar runs all the way through with no breaks in it. The wing is 38 inches long so i only had 36 inch spar but i fill in the end piece with foam glue to the end of my spar. You cut a groove on the inside at the front of the ribs and then tape it on the outside so it wont break when you bend the top sheating down.I roll both side over a 2 inch or any other small pipe to get it close to shape .I sanded the front and back edge about 7/8 strip so when they are folded over and pushed together it ends up at around 6 mm thick for a 6 mm ail. at the trailing edge. BTW i space the ribs about 3 or 4 inches apart. I then use elmers rubber cement around the outside edges and ribs plus the top piece where the top of the ribs will hit when i fold it. I glue in my main balsa spar and use rubber cement on top of it too plus the foam strips on each side of it. After the cement is almost dry i fold the top half over to make a nice airfoil and very light but strong wing. This wing is for a canard stick i shrunk plans down from a balsa one and i want to make a 50 inch one soon and draw plans to give out free on wattflyers soon. I hope this makes sence because i build better than explain things lol I want to thank CHELLIE for talking me into trying to build with foam a year ago ,iam still learning but its just as fun as building with balsa and much faster. joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my wing.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	164842   Click image for larger version

Name:	airfoil wing 3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	164843   Click image for larger version

Name:	taped together for a picture.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	164845   Click image for larger version

Name:	canard stick.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	164846  
Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
dheaton

Friends: (0)

Those are some good videos Chellie. Thanks for sharing them.

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Everyone This Thread is for the Beginner Builder to Learning Different Types of Ways to Build your scratch Built Planes, Please add any info that you Know to help others with their build, Thank You, Chellie

Info From Youtube

Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
All right CHELLIE i will show how iam building a full airfoil wing,its like the video above but i use real ribs so i can make different airfoils and a balsa spar to make it stronger. You can see my ribs and the two pieces of foam that makes my slot for the main spar .This is one half of my wing and the main spar runs all the way through with no breaks in it. The wing is 38 inches long so i only had 36 inch spar but i fill in the end piece with foam glue to the end of my spar. You cut a groove on the inside at the front of the ribs and then tape it on the outside so it wont break when you bend the top sheating down.I roll both side over a 2 inch or any other small pipe to get it close to shape .I sanded the front and back edge about 7/8 strip so when they are folded over and pushed together it ends up at around 6 mm thick for a 6 mm ail. at the trailing edge. BTW i space the ribs about 3 or 4 inches apart. I then use elmers rubber cement around the outside edges and ribs plus the top piece where the top of the ribs will hit when i fold it. I glue in my main balsa spar and use rubber cement on top of it too plus the foam strips on each side of it. After the cement is almost dry i fold the top half over to make a nice airfoil and very light but strong wing. This wing is for a canard stick i shrunk plans down from a balsa one and i want to make a 50 inch one soon and draw plans to give out free on wattflyers soon. I hope this makes sence because i build better than explain things lol I want to thank CHELLIE for talking me into trying to build with foam a year ago ,iam still learning but its just as fun as building with balsa and much faster. joe
Good Looking Wing Joe yea, I love building with foam, its fast and fun, if you want to build a super clean plane then use Balsa, but for all around fun flying, I use Foam, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dheaton View Post
Those are some good videos Chellie. Thanks for sharing them.
Hi I have Learned a Lot from the Youtube videos, they can be very informative, and when i see one that is super good, I like to share it with others, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Good Looking Wing Joe yea, I love building with foam, its fast and fun, if you want to build a super clean plane then use Balsa, but for all around fun flying, I use Foam, Take care and have fun, Chellie
You cant get any funnyer than this CHELLIE lmao joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slowly 5 mine.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	164847  
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
You cant get any funnyer than this CHELLIE lmao joe
Thats A Cute fun flier

Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thumbs up Trimming Your Bird

http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/trim.html

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft