Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #51
hoghead5150
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: poteau, oklahoma
Posts: 150
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

exactly. we have the permission from the airport manager, we are fine. we don't fly off the runway for obvious reasons, we use the end of one taxiway. we also don't fly over the runway. there are a few other advisories out from the FAA in the last 31 years since the one you linked was published. none of them restrict rc aircraft. there are one or two about helicopters tho. also something i read about restrictions of rc aircraft used for commercial use.

it's nice to live in a small town and know the local airports manager!! our airport sees about 2 or 3 planes a day, and on the weekends it's usually 2 or 3 the entire weekend.

we try to be respectful of everybody there, and stay clear of the fullsize planes. it's worked so far. we have a good group of guys that really keep an eye (and ear) out for everybody.
hoghead5150 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #52
LA Ming
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Poteau, OK
Posts: 31
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Backorders suck.

Was ready to pull the trigger. Still considering options.
LA Ming is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #53
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 3,145
View dahawk's Gallery6
Thanked 190 Times in 186 Posts
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (19)
Default

Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Backorders suck.

Was ready to pull the trigger. Still considering options.

Ming,

One place not to backorder from is HK. Talk about the proverbial "slow boat from China? " Some of the US based sights might not be so bad if you're trying to lock down a special Cyber Monday deal and can wait for delivery. I've about completely given up on Nitroplanes. Talk about a lean inventory ! They are always sold out of the things I'd buy like Gens Ace lipos.

Another thing to keep in mind is Chinese New Year. Getting things out of China for the one week+ celebration is next to impossible.

Now go get that T-28 !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
dahawk is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #54
LA Ming
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Poteau, OK
Posts: 31
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

The T-28 I can find. Every one's out of the Spektrum radios I was interested in. (DX7s prefered, DX8 if a very good price.)
LA Ming is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #55
LA Ming
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Poteau, OK
Posts: 31
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Well... for better or for worse... I now have a Spektrum DX8 and T-28 BNF on their way to me!

Found a source that claimed both items were IN STOCK. So... took a chance. During a chat session with an R/C friend, I received some good advice and agreed that the DX7s would do more than I'll likely ever do... and $70 cheaper to boot... but the online stores I was hitting were out of stock on DX7s radios. So, I went ahead and upsized to the DX8 at a store that claimed they had those in stock.

Alas, though, the online store where I purchased the radio and plane didn't have battery packs for the T-28. (That dreaded "Out Of Stock" thing again.) I'll need to find another source for one of those.

Wow... I just spent a ton of money on a "maybe".... hope this turns out to be something I really enjoy!!!!
LA Ming is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #56
Beemerider
Member
 
Beemerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley Of Virginia
Posts: 385
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Club: Augusta County RC Club
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Ming,

One place not to backorder from is HK. Talk about the proverbial "slow boat from China? " Some of the US based sights might not be so bad if you're trying to lock down a special Cyber Monday deal and can wait for delivery. I've about completely given up on Nitroplanes. Talk about a lean inventory ! They are always sold out of the things I'd buy like Gens Ace lipos.

Another thing to keep in mind is Chinese New Year. Getting things out of China for the one week+ celebration is next to impossible.

Now go get that T-28 !

-Hawk
I got a tad perturbed with Nitroplanes one evening. Like you said they were out of everything. I emailed their cs and to my surprise got a pretty quick reply and apology. And HK.....I think I've placed a dozen or so orders in the past yr but I was already warned to stay away if the item was on BO. I've had good luck so far. I bought my DX7s from my local HS. He has another one in stock I think.
Beemerider is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #57
LA Ming
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Poteau, OK
Posts: 31
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Too late Beemerider! Done done it!!!

Thanks anyway.
LA Ming is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #58
AEAJR
Community Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY, USA
Posts: 5,219
Thanked 340 Times in 302 Posts
Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (8)
Cool

Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Well... for better or for worse... I now have a Spektrum DX8 and T-28 BNF on their way to me!

Found a source that claimed both items were IN STOCK. So... took a chance. During a chat session with an R/C friend, I received some good advice and agreed that the DX7s would do more than I'll likely ever do... and $70 cheaper to boot... but the online stores I was hitting were out of stock on DX7s radios. So, I went ahead and upsized to the DX8 at a store that claimed they had those in stock.

Alas, though, the online store where I purchased the radio and plane didn't have battery packs for the T-28. (That dreaded "Out Of Stock" thing again.) I'll need to find another source for one of those.

Wow... I just spent a ton of money on a "maybe".... hope this turns out to be something I really enjoy!!!!
Great choices. I am sure you will be very happy with them. Best of luck!

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
AEAJR is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #59
hoghead5150
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: poteau, oklahoma
Posts: 150
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

check out valuehobby.com for your batteries andre. they have good selection AND they have cheap shipping!!
hoghead5150 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #60
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 3,145
View dahawk's Gallery6
Thanked 190 Times in 186 Posts
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (19)
Default

Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
The T-28 I can find. Every one's out of the Spektrum radios I was interested in. (DX7s prefered, DX8 if a very good price.)
Have you checked RC Universe?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=882884

New in box for $240.00

There's another one used asking $135.00

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=884527

Some new ones on ebay also. Around $300.00

I bought a 6ex futaba as a back up for $90.00 shipped including nicad and lipo TX battery packs and one RX.

The deals are out there !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
dahawk is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #61
LA Ming
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Poteau, OK
Posts: 31
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Hi 'ya Hawk!

Thanks much for the links and telling me about a new enabling site!

Too late, though! I pulled the trigger about 8:40 PM CST... see above!
LA Ming is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #62
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 3,145
View dahawk's Gallery6
Thanked 190 Times in 186 Posts
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (19)
Default

Oh yeah , didn't see that. Great ! You're in bidness, as they say here Texas.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
dahawk is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #63
LA Ming
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Poteau, OK
Posts: 31
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

My new toys arrived today!

First impressions:

* The DX8 looks... well... "complicated". Gonna' have to spend a BUNCH of time in the Owners Manual on this one.

* I ordered the Airplane "Tx Only" option (to go with a PZ BNF T-28)... BUT... I must have received the heli version (no throttle rachet), plus it came with a receiver AND a telemetry module!! So, I guess I'm all set for my "next" plane to be a PNP if I want. Apparently they substituted and upped it to a receiver equipped set... but at the expense of it being a heli version.

Kind of bummed about the no rachet on the throttle, though.

* The T-28 arrived safe and sound (no damage). It will probably be later this upcoming week before I start to assemble it.

Sooo...

My first aileron radio and airleron airplane is now onhand. Only things left is to assemble the airplane, charge batteries (the tx is charging as I type), and start trying to figure out how to bind, set up the T-28 with dual rates, and create a "Model" memory file.

Wow... this is SOOOO much more involved than piddlin' with my lil' Super Cub!
LA Ming is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #64
kyleservicetech
Dennis V
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 7,363
Thanked 654 Times in 637 Posts
Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (18)
Default

Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
My new toys arrived today!

* The DX8 looks... well... "complicated". Gonna' have to spend a BUNCH of time in the Owners Manual on this one.


My first aileron radio and airleron airplane is now onhand. Only things left is to assemble the airplane, charge batteries (the tx is charging as I type), and start trying to figure out how to bind, set up the T-28 with dual rates, and create a "Model" memory file.

Wow... this is SOOOO much more involved than piddlin' with my lil' Super Cub!
Yeah, the DX8 has a lot of features, but compared to my older DX7, it is a lot easier to program. As the saying goes, READ THE MANUAL!

The DX8 has a useful feature, a throttle cut function. This is where you can mix a switch with the throttle, so the throttle is dead unless the switch is thrown. I've been using the landing gear switch. If you do the throttle cut feature, be sure to run the throttle trim to minimum position while setting it up.

The larger models can do some real damage if the motor powers up without warning. Even the smaller models can do damage sufficient to require a trip to the emergency room.

Binding, model match are all fairly straight forward, once you get past the first model. If you've got a club member that also has a DX8 transmitter, it might be a good idea to check him out.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
kyleservicetech is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #65
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 3,145
View dahawk's Gallery6
Thanked 190 Times in 186 Posts
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (19)
Default

Congrats Ming !,

You're "in it" big time. Like Denny said, read the manual. I still carry mine with me. It's the Bible, so to speak. You'll have that T-28 in the air faster than you can say: " I really didn't see that tree." Great plane and after a while, you'll want the next big thing. Addictiing indeed.

Good luck !

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
dahawk is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #66
hoghead5150
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: poteau, oklahoma
Posts: 150
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (2)
Default

you sure that dx8 didn't come with the ratchet strap in the box??
hoghead5150 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #67
Beemerider
Member
 
Beemerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley Of Virginia
Posts: 385
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Club: Augusta County RC Club
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
My new toys arrived today!

First impressions:

* The DX8 looks... well... "complicated". Gonna' have to spend a BUNCH of time in the Owners Manual on this one.

* I ordered the Airplane "Tx Only" option (to go with a PZ BNF T-28)... BUT... I must have received the heli version (no throttle rachet), plus it came with a receiver AND a telemetry module!! So, I guess I'm all set for my "next" plane to be a PNP if I want. Apparently they substituted and upped it to a receiver equipped set... but at the expense of it being a heli version.

Kind of bummed about the no rachet on the throttle, though.

* The T-28 arrived safe and sound (no damage). It will probably be later this upcoming week before I start to assemble it.

Sooo...

My first aileron radio and airleron airplane is now onhand. Only things left is to assemble the airplane, charge batteries (the tx is charging as I type), and start trying to figure out how to bind, set up the T-28 with dual rates, and create a "Model" memory file.

Wow... this is SOOOO much more involved than piddlin' with my lil' Super Cub!
Congrats!!
Sounds like you got serious and jumped in with both feet. Cool....I did the same earlier this yr and bought the 7s. Lots of fun!
Beemerider is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #68
LA Ming
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Poteau, OK
Posts: 31
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Didn't start out to buy as much radio as I did... but the radio I wanted (DX7s) was not available at the online dealer I was doing business with.

hoghead:

I don't know. The only thing in the box that I can't figure out a use for is an "L" shaped piece of black foam rubber?
LA Ming is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #69
LA Ming
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Poteau, OK
Posts: 31
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

hoghead to the rescue again! Pointed me to the pg 39 and pg 40 of the manual and sure 'nuf, there were the instructions on how to adjust the installed rachet!

I now have the rachet working/feeling the way I want it too. The tx batteries are now charged, too.

This afternoon I assembled my T-28... all it needs is to charge its batteries... and then its time to bind the tx and rx together!

I hope to have an afternoon when the experienced R/C guys are flying so I can have one of them be at my side in case of issues (trim) once airborne with its maiden flight.
LA Ming is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Looking for a newbie friendly rtf helicpoter stafphoto Helicopters- Electric For Sale & WTB 0 12-30-2011 03:56 AM
Parkzone polecat and newbie 00nothing Indoor & Micro Electric Planes 9 08-27-2011 12:19 PM
Newbie - I Need Help With Eflight Calculators bsrchas Beginners 5 03-07-2011 03:12 PM
Newbie With Questions......Sorry!! SNIPERWOLF Beginners 10 01-25-2011 12:56 AM
Motor / ESC and various other newbie questions spaten Beginners 6 01-09-2011 03:07 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:11 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.29849 seconds with 59 queries