Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #51
hoghead5150

Friends: (2)

exactly. we have the permission from the airport manager, we are fine. we don't fly off the runway for obvious reasons, we use the end of one taxiway. we also don't fly over the runway. there are a few other advisories out from the FAA in the last 31 years since the one you linked was published. none of them restrict rc aircraft. there are one or two about helicopters tho. also something i read about restrictions of rc aircraft used for commercial use.

it's nice to live in a small town and know the local airports manager!! our airport sees about 2 or 3 planes a day, and on the weekends it's usually 2 or 3 the entire weekend.

we try to be respectful of everybody there, and stay clear of the fullsize planes. it's worked so far. we have a good group of guys that really keep an eye (and ear) out for everybody.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #52
LA Ming

Club: The Official Non Club; Members: 1
Friends: (1)

Backorders suck.

Was ready to pull the trigger. Still considering options.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #53
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Backorders suck.

Was ready to pull the trigger. Still considering options.

Ming,

One place not to backorder from is HK. Talk about the proverbial "slow boat from China? " Some of the US based sights might not be so bad if you're trying to lock down a special Cyber Monday deal and can wait for delivery. I've about completely given up on Nitroplanes. Talk about a lean inventory ! They are always sold out of the things I'd buy like Gens Ace lipos.

Another thing to keep in mind is Chinese New Year. Getting things out of China for the one week+ celebration is next to impossible.

Now go get that T-28 !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #54
LA Ming

The T-28 I can find. Every one's out of the Spektrum radios I was interested in. (DX7s prefered, DX8 if a very good price.)
Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #55
LA Ming

Well... for better or for worse... I now have a Spektrum DX8 and T-28 BNF on their way to me!

Found a source that claimed both items were IN STOCK. So... took a chance. During a chat session with an R/C friend, I received some good advice and agreed that the DX7s would do more than I'll likely ever do... and $70 cheaper to boot... but the online stores I was hitting were out of stock on DX7s radios. So, I went ahead and upsized to the DX8 at a store that claimed they had those in stock.

Alas, though, the online store where I purchased the radio and plane didn't have battery packs for the T-28. (That dreaded "Out Of Stock" thing again.) I'll need to find another source for one of those.

Wow... I just spent a ton of money on a "maybe".... hope this turns out to be something I really enjoy!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #56
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Ming,

One place not to backorder from is HK. Talk about the proverbial "slow boat from China? " Some of the US based sights might not be so bad if you're trying to lock down a special Cyber Monday deal and can wait for delivery. I've about completely given up on Nitroplanes. Talk about a lean inventory ! They are always sold out of the things I'd buy like Gens Ace lipos.

Another thing to keep in mind is Chinese New Year. Getting things out of China for the one week+ celebration is next to impossible.

Now go get that T-28 !

-Hawk
I got a tad perturbed with Nitroplanes one evening. Like you said they were out of everything. I emailed their cs and to my surprise got a pretty quick reply and apology. And HK.....I think I've placed a dozen or so orders in the past yr but I was already warned to stay away if the item was on BO. I've had good luck so far. I bought my DX7s from my local HS. He has another one in stock I think.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #57
LA Ming

Too late Beemerider! Done done it!!!

Thanks anyway.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #58
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

Well... for better or for worse... I now have a Spektrum DX8 and T-28 BNF on their way to me!

Found a source that claimed both items were IN STOCK. So... took a chance. During a chat session with an R/C friend, I received some good advice and agreed that the DX7s would do more than I'll likely ever do... and $70 cheaper to boot... but the online stores I was hitting were out of stock on DX7s radios. So, I went ahead and upsized to the DX8 at a store that claimed they had those in stock.

Alas, though, the online store where I purchased the radio and plane didn't have battery packs for the T-28. (That dreaded "Out Of Stock" thing again.) I'll need to find another source for one of those.

Wow... I just spent a ton of money on a "maybe".... hope this turns out to be something I really enjoy!!!!
Great choices. I am sure you will be very happy with them. Best of luck!

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #59
hoghead5150

check out valuehobby.com for your batteries andre. they have good selection AND they have cheap shipping!!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #60
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

The T-28 I can find. Every one's out of the Spektrum radios I was interested in. (DX7s prefered, DX8 if a very good price.)
Have you checked RC Universe?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=882884

New in box for $240.00

There's another one used asking $135.00

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=884527

Some new ones on ebay also. Around $300.00

I bought a 6ex futaba as a back up for $90.00 shipped including nicad and lipo TX battery packs and one RX.

The deals are out there !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #61
LA Ming

Hi 'ya Hawk!

Thanks much for the links and telling me about a new enabling site!

Too late, though! I pulled the trigger about 8:40 PM CST... see above!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #62
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Oh yeah , didn't see that. Great ! You're in bidness, as they say here Texas.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #63
LA Ming

My new toys arrived today!

First impressions:

* The DX8 looks... well... "complicated". Gonna' have to spend a BUNCH of time in the Owners Manual on this one.

* I ordered the Airplane "Tx Only" option (to go with a PZ BNF T-28)... BUT... I must have received the heli version (no throttle rachet), plus it came with a receiver AND a telemetry module!! So, I guess I'm all set for my "next" plane to be a PNP if I want. Apparently they substituted and upped it to a receiver equipped set... but at the expense of it being a heli version.

Kind of bummed about the no rachet on the throttle, though.

* The T-28 arrived safe and sound (no damage). It will probably be later this upcoming week before I start to assemble it.

Sooo...

My first aileron radio and airleron airplane is now onhand. Only things left is to assemble the airplane, charge batteries (the tx is charging as I type), and start trying to figure out how to bind, set up the T-28 with dual rates, and create a "Model" memory file.

Wow... this is SOOOO much more involved than piddlin' with my lil' Super Cub!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #64
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

* The DX8 looks... well... "complicated". Gonna' have to spend a BUNCH of time in the Owners Manual on this one.

My first aileron radio and airleron airplane is now onhand. Only things left is to assemble the airplane, charge batteries (the tx is charging as I type), and start trying to figure out how to bind, set up the T-28 with dual rates, and create a "Model" memory file.

Yeah, the DX8 has a lot of features, but compared to my older DX7, it is a lot easier to program. As the saying goes, READ THE MANUAL!

The DX8 has a useful feature, a throttle cut function. This is where you can mix a switch with the throttle, so the throttle is dead unless the switch is thrown. I've been using the landing gear switch. If you do the throttle cut feature, be sure to run the throttle trim to minimum position while setting it up.

The larger models can do some real damage if the motor powers up without warning. Even the smaller models can do damage sufficient to require a trip to the emergency room.

Binding, model match are all fairly straight forward, once you get past the first model. If you've got a club member that also has a DX8 transmitter, it might be a good idea to check him out.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #65
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Congrats Ming !,

You're "in it" big time. Like Denny said, read the manual. I still carry mine with me. It's the Bible, so to speak. You'll have that T-28 in the air faster than you can say: " I really didn't see that tree." Great plane and after a while, you'll want the next big thing. Addictiing indeed.

Good luck !

Hawk

Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #66
hoghead5150

you sure that dx8 didn't come with the ratchet strap in the box??
Old 12-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #67
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club

First impressions:

* I ordered the Airplane "Tx Only" option (to go with a PZ BNF T-28)... BUT... I must have received the heli version (no throttle rachet), plus it came with a receiver AND a telemetry module!! So, I guess I'm all set for my "next" plane to be a PNP if I want. Apparently they substituted and upped it to a receiver equipped set... but at the expense of it being a heli version.

Kind of bummed about the no rachet on the throttle, though.

* The T-28 arrived safe and sound (no damage). It will probably be later this upcoming week before I start to assemble it.

Sooo...

Congrats!!
Sounds like you got serious and jumped in with both feet. Cool....I did the same earlier this yr and bought the 7s. Lots of fun!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #68
LA Ming

Didn't start out to buy as much radio as I did... but the radio I wanted (DX7s) was not available at the online dealer I was doing business with.

hoghead:

I don't know. The only thing in the box that I can't figure out a use for is an "L" shaped piece of black foam rubber?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #69
LA Ming

hoghead to the rescue again! Pointed me to the pg 39 and pg 40 of the manual and sure 'nuf, there were the instructions on how to adjust the installed rachet!

I now have the rachet working/feeling the way I want it too. The tx batteries are now charged, too.

This afternoon I assembled my T-28... all it needs is to charge its batteries... and then its time to bind the tx and rx together!

I hope to have an afternoon when the experienced R/C guys are flying so I can have one of them be at my side in case of issues (trim) once airborne with its maiden flight.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners