Indoor RC flying in Dome west of Chicago, Fridays and Saturdays
Learn to fly Radio Control!
Or, practice with your airplane, quadcopter or heli indoors!
5 million cubic feet of flying space! 2nd largest golf dome in the U.S.!
Dome is 300’ x 300’ x 10 stories tall!
The Suburban R/C Barnstormers club and White Pines Golf Dome (WPGD) again invite you to 6 months of warm, indoor, Radio-Controlled flying this winter. Season runs from November 1st through the end of April every year. We’re open every Friday and Saturday night from 11:00 pm to 1:00 am (*). See below for NightHawk flying fees, rules, and Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) requirements.
FEES: A single flight-night is $15, but it becomes just $10 nightly if you purchase a “Dome Discount Card” for $15. Your Best Buy is a Season Pass for $175.
White Pines Golf Dome, the largest golf dome in Illinois, is located just west of Chicago’s O’Hare airport, at 500 W. Jefferson St. (3rd Ave.), 60601, in Bensenville, Illinois. Check for Dome Flying Rules and our Registration form at SuburbanRCBarnstormers.com, or just stop in to watch and ask questions of our pilots and your Dome Staffer host. Your Dome Staffers can help get you training, help set up your aircraft or answer many RC questions!
For indoor GOLF and WPG Dome questions, see WhitePinesGolfDome.com for directions and Dome descriptions. Student pilots can train without an Academy of Model Aeronautics card under the guidance of any AMA pilot and a “buddy box”, or during special student pilot times you request with an AMA pilot as trainer. All other Dome pilots must be AMA members to fly or instruct. Remember, AMA membership is free for those under 19 years of age as of July, and is easily available at home via the AMA site. See ModelAircraft.org for AMA rules, fees, and membership signup for Adults, Juniors, Seniors, Park Pilots, Full Memberships, or see your Dome Staffer for info.
For questions about NightHawk flying, contact Dome Director Marty Schrader on the SRCB web site or call him at 630-234-1914, or Stan Warden at FrenchStan@ComCast.net or 630-654-8476. Remember: Spectators are always free at NightHawk flying. Dome Staffers this season are Tom Jacobs, John Kubitz and Jim Stolpman.
* NOTE: If you want to fly Thursdays, join our Suburban R/C Barnstormers club; it’s just $30 annually! Club Members get to attend 6 FREE Club-Only Nights at the Dome on special Thursdays! Your Dome Staffer host can sign you up on-site. Club Nights include pilot prizes, contests, and socializing with pilots like you. srw 112312
1. Flying and golf pit entry will only begin at a whistle/signal from the SRCB’s Dome Staffer.
2. Flying should begin at 11:01 p.m., and will cease at 1:00 a.m.
3. Frequency Clip required on all transmitters except 2.4 GHz, before powering up Transmitter.
4. No Smoking, Alcohol, or Controlled Substances allowed in Dome during flying periods.
5. Golf Pit #15 is reserved for SRCB officials.
6. Current-Year’s AMA card or AMA receipt required IN HAND, at registration.
7. AMA rules apply and every person who flies or teaches MUST be in the AMA, except students.*
8. *Student Pilots with no card are exempted but must fly with an AMA member, and require Dome Staffer’s permission. They may fly with a buddy box at any time, or without a buddy box by talking to the Dome Staffer and getting a designated training period announced.
9. “Spectators” who try to fly aircraft in the Dome become Pilots, and must have a current AMA card, must register, and must pay the Pilot fee.
10. Put a piece of cardboard or other protective material underneath your aircraft if you want to glue or make cuts or repairs. The Dome leases space to multiple Golf Pro businesses, and those Golf Pros leave their equipment and furniture out for the use of THEIR customers, and don’t want it damaged. If you do not have protective material, do not glue or make repairs.
11. Pilots are asked to charge their batteries ONLY inside a fire retardant container or LiPo envelope.
12. You must YELL OUT “On the Field” to warn other pilots of your intentions, especially when entering - or anywhere near the Heli/3D flight areas in the corners of the Dome. Stay Alert!
13. No one is permitted on the flying field during flying operations, except for the minimum time required for model retrieval. During CONTESTS, no one is allowed on the field at all!
14. All Pilots will be aware of individuals retrieving downed models, and must stay clear of them.
15. When you retrieve a model, watch for aircraft flying nearby. Be ready to take evasive action.
16. We define our “Flight Line” as the edge of the shadow of the Balcony on the turf, and the extension of that shadow line “spacing”; following the pits to the sides & upwards to ceiling.
17. All fixed and rotary wing craft must fly beyond, i.e., in front of, the Flight Line, not above it.
18. The Flight Pattern for aircraft is Counter Clockwise in an oval beyond the Flight Line. Think of it as making all LEFT HAND turns, the same as most auto racing ovals.
19. Fixed-Wing 3D aerobatics and airplane hovering is limited to the left and right corners of the flying area outside of the flight pattern at a minimum distance of 10 feet from fellow pilots. Again, remember to keep aircraft IN FRONT OF THE FLIGHT LINE at all times, not above it.
20. Fixed-Wing Limits: 2# weight limit, 150 watt power limit. Reasonable and prudent speed and aerobatics depending on conditions and traffic at discretion of the NightHawk Staffer.
21. Heli Limits: Micro & Mini Heli’s only. Max. 450 motor size. Max. Rotor dia. 28” or 700mm.
22. For safety reasons no Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass main rotor blades are allowed.
23. Helicopter hovering and all flight aerobatics are limited to the left and right ‘corners’ of the flying area. Helicopters are permitted to fly the entire Dome when “Helicopter Only” times are called, or “in-pattern”. We try to do this at least once per night, often between 12:00 and 12:08.
24. Student Flying, Combat,“All-Heli-Fly”, Hi-Speed Fly, Reverse-Direction, or any other special flying must first be cleared by the SRCB Dome Staff, and will be announced to everyone.
25. Only electric aircraft are allowed in the Dome; no ground R/C vehicles are allowed.
26. The SRCB Dome Staffer will make the final decision in all cases not covered by these rules.
I WILL COMPLY WITH ALL THESE 2012/2013 AMA, WPG DOME AND E-NITER RULES. SRW112712
I have known about you guys up north flying at the dome for a couple years now and we fly at a high school in homer glen or in morris il. One of these days i will drive up for a night .Thanks for posting it. joe