Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default Powering a heated m/c jacket liner with lipo?

Just a thought........

I have a heated m/c jacket liner w/thermostat that is designed to run off the accessory socket of my BMW. It's been 31 months since I last rode due to an illness (situation I hope will be remedied by spring). As I recall it was advertised as pulling 90 watts. Wondering if it's doable to make up an appropriately sized lipo pack to power it for those cold winter days when I go flying? That liner kept me toasty warm for many, many miles of Virginia roads, even one January day when it was 7 degrees! (I didn't have much sense back then)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
Just a thought........

I have a heated m/c jacket liner w/thermostat that is designed to run off the accessory socket of my BMW. It's been 31 months since I last rode due to an illness (situation I hope will be remedied by spring). As I recall it was advertised as pulling 90 watts. Wondering if it's doable to make up an appropriately sized lipo pack to power it for those cold winter days when I go flying? That liner kept me toasty warm for many, many miles of Virginia roads, even one January day when it was 7 degrees! (I didn't have much sense back then)
That would work. But, and a big but, if you leave your liner plugged in to long, you will run your LiPo down. And once that happens, your LiPo is toast.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
Beemerider

Yeah thought about that. I'd have to have some sort of LV alarm or I'd quickly ruin a lipo. Not sure that it's worth the trouble. The liner will keep the core warm but the fingers still freeze! My winter hours may be better spent repairing my summer's damage.(of which there is plenty)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Yeah thought about that. I'd have to have some sort of LV alarm or I'd quickly ruin a lipo. Not sure that it's worth the trouble. The liner will keep the core warm but the fingers still freeze! My winter hours may be better spent repairing my summer's damage.(of which there is plenty)
Yeah
A power level of 90 watts is about 7.5 Amps on a LiPo battery. If you have a 6000 Mah battery, that will only run for about 40 minutes or so. And a 4S1P 6000 Mah LiPo is a few $$$$.

DennyV
Old 12-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
Beemerider

I reckon I keep the liner for when I ride again. It did a wonderful job on the bike. My bike has the advantage of a 700 watt alternator (as much as some cars) so it will run all the bike's electrics plus handle two full sets of heated gear. But it'll be a very cold day down yonder before my wife will ever ride. She hates motorcycles and has tried her best to keep me from riding again. She once tried to give me an ultimatum--said it was the bike or her. I kinda said I'd sure miss her. I still have both.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,138 Times in 2,047 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (308)

Get a small car battery from sears like a group 22-24 and use a 12 gauge extension cord from the battery to you, use a 20 amp inline fuse to be safe, or you can get a large coffee can, and put a roll of toilet paper in it, and fill it 1/4 way with 70% rubbing alcohol, use 70%, 50% burns to cold and goes out, and 90% burns to hot, use a thin piece of flat metal sheet to snuff out the flame with, and when its has cooled down a bit, use the plastic lid to seal it up with untill the next time take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,138 Times in 2,047 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (308)

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

couldn't help myself....lol...

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Beemerider

That's a neat idea. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Beemerider

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
couldn't help myself....lol...

Old 12-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Beemerider

I just need some chains.........

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	164553
Old 12-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Friends: (16)

thats a mighty fine machine ya have there.looks like she's calling out to ya to get back in the saddle.

i have a 1978 gl 1000 goldwing in my garage needing a tune up......she dosn't seem to be calling out much as my desire to insure her and repair it for so little riding is nill compared to the desire to fly rc. she has only 29,000miles on her and i know the previouse owners before i got it.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

LOL
Back in the old farm days, we used to take a gallon sized paint can, fill it with sand, some diesel fuel. It smoked a lot, but it did work.

Of course that was when diesel fuel was 16 cents a gallon.

DennyV
Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Beemerider

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
thats a mighty fine machine ya have there.looks like she's calling out to ya to get back in the saddle.

i have a 1978 gl 1000 goldwing in my garage needing a tune up......she dosn't seem to be calling out much as my desire to insure her and repair it for so little riding is nill compared to the desire to fly rc. she has only 29,000miles on her and i know the previouse owners before i got it.
Thanks! It's got just shy of 40,000 miles. I put 44K on my '03 in 4 yrs and totaled it in '07. Bought this 04 a month later with 17K. I put 16K on it the 12 months prior to getting ill. That was 05/10. Haven't ridden since. But hoping to change that this spring. Costs me about $150 a yr to tag and insure it. All maintenance stuff including tires I've always done myself. BMW's do break but thankfully not often! (they're darn easy to work on too)
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
copterrichie

Friends: (0)

Here is an idea.

Heated Coat
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
Beemerider

This is what I have now:

http://www.warmnsafe.com/generation-3-heated-gear/

I have the accompanying thermostat. It does a great job while riding.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default WHAT!!!!!!

Are you for real A heated bike jacket!!!!!! You have to be kidding The best part of this post was seeing a Harley on fire, which is the best thing you could do with one If you get cold, drink Bunderberg Rum and stuff newspaper down the front of your Leather jacket ( not some pansy synthetic excuse for one). What is the world coming to............
Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #18
Beemerider

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
Are you for real A heated bike jacket!!!!!! You have to be kidding The best part of this post was seeing a Harley on fire, which is the best thing you could do with one If you get cold, drink Bunderberg Rum and stuff newspaper down the front of your Leather jacket ( not some pansy synthetic excuse for one). What is the world coming to............
You know why that Harley was on fire don't you? Don't think I've ever seen one that didn't leave a puddle.

But I'm to old to handle all that noise and shakin'. I like my motorcycles like I like my airplanes.......quiet and smooth.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #19
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Harley on fire a good thing? Geeze, don't ever say that around here in Milwaukee, those guys would not be very happy.

Couple of club members have them, one of them has way way to many $$$$ stuck in his.

And no, I don't ride motorcycles. Seen to many accidents with them, and the bike driver never wins.

DennyV
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
Beemerider

My very first bike was a 1969 HD 350 Sprint. Had Harley's name on it but was made by Amarachi in Italy. I was 17. Poor excuse for a motorcycle although I wish I still owned it. Those were the days when HD was owned by AMF. AMF could make basketballs but didn't know squat about motorcycles.

And yes accidents can be often fatal. I've been down twice and I've got a collection of titanium in my left leg that's worth more than my bike and truck and my wife's car! But I still love it and look forward to riding again. (After the broken leg accident I was back on the bike in 7 weeks with my cane strapped to the back) Ya gotta be a rider to understand it.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #21
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Friends: (168)

Hi
Ive used Gerbings while in the service and as a civilian now as well, excellent products
http://gerbing.com/
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Friends: (168)

Hi
Drinking alcohol while operating a vehicle is ilegal and quite dangerous as well, im suprised you would make that suggestion
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #23
Beemerider

I doubt that pattern14 was serious. Just good natured banter.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #24
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

I doubt that pattern14 was serious. Just good natured banter.
I suspect Hank was being tongue in cheek as well. I've been a motorcyclist since my teens, and my BMW has now got 760,000klms (not a misprint) on her. She looks every day of it tooThe sidecar keeps it up on those really bad days, and I've lost count of mates and associates killed or injured from drinking and riding. Lost count of the broken down harleys' too, and not just those AMF abominations either. They are popular with fisherman though; those big bars snag the coral reefs, and keep your boat from drifting. Sad thing is, motorcyclists tend to be like aeromodellers- Jap versus european versus harley/cruiser/sportbike etc. Glo versus electric, foam versus balsa, ARF v. scatch/kit built and so on. If we all rode Honda's, and flew Super Cubs, what would we talk about Diversity makes the world interesting, but we take it too seriously at times... guess I better get back to finishing my bottle of Bundy, while keeping warm in front of the burning remains of that Low-rider...
Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #25
Beemerider

Very very good!

I'd love to see some pics of your Beemer. I would almost give my left arm for a sidecar for mine. I've never ridden a sidecar bike. I'm told it can be very challenging. BMW's and sidecars--they just go together!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers