Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #26
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
Very very good!

I'd love to see some pics of your Beemer. I would almost give my left arm for a sidecar for mine. I've never ridden a sidecar bike. I'm told it can be very challenging. BMW's and sidecars--they just go together!
My camera is not playing the game right now, but i'm sure I can dig up some pic's from the vault and scan them in. I've carried (amongst other things) my Me 163 Komet in the chair so I can fly it in some far flung places around Tasmania, like in the snow and at the beach on the same day. Years ago I would roll up at a pub and end the night asleep( passed out) in the sidecar...nowadays I pull up in the middle of nowhere and fly until dark Man, I must be getting old
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #27
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
Ive used Gerbings while in the service and as a civilian now as well, excellent products
http://gerbing.com/
Take care
Yours Hank
btw--mine is a WarmnSafe......back when I researched this stuff I compared (among other things) the wattage of the heating system. Most jacket liners were 65 watts, theirs was 90. I rode my first Beemer for 4 yrs before buying the liner. The very first time I wore it my first thoughts were "why in the hell did I wait 4 years to buy this?"

Best money I ever spent. Plus I think there is a lifetime warranty on the heating system.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/
Old 12-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Only use LIFEPO4 battery packs. They will not be damaged by discharges to 0 volts. Can be recharged fully after a 0 % of capacity discharge.

Will not catch fire or explode if they are true A123.
I have been running down a 4 pack 2300 mahr bunch in a vacuum cleaner for over 5 years.
Usually 5 % is only left. Recharges to over 95 % everytime.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
btw--mine is a WarmnSafe......back when I researched this stuff I compared (among other things) the wattage of the heating system. Most jacket liners were 65 watts, theirs was 90. I rode my first Beemer for 4 yrs before buying the liner. The very first time I wore it my first thoughts were "why in the hell did I wait 4 years to buy this?"

Best money I ever spent. Plus I think there is a lifetime warranty on the heating system.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/
Thanks for the link Beemer... I'm wishing for the pants for Christmas! fingers crossed!! I haven't seen those before.

Just a thought....I ride all year too, snow even hail once...lol....even though LIPO's and other RC batteries are pretty safe when used correctly. I have seen them (LIPO) get nasty hot, smoke and puffy after a rc crash. I would hate to see what they would be like in a bike crash. I don't want that in my pocket!! lol... Dunno...Just my two cents Hope you get back to riding soon! Nice BMW and great scenery!!

Have a good one
Christopher
BTW 78 degrees here yesterday!!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
Thanks for the link Beemer... I'm wishing for the pants for Christmas! fingers crossed!! I haven't seen those before.

Just a thought....I ride all year too, snow even hail once...lol....even though LIPO's and other RC batteries are pretty safe when used correctly. I have seen them (LIPO) get nasty hot, smoke and puffy after a rc crash.
Yeah, last summer I saw a very nice scale military model with two 5000 Mah 5 cell LiPos ignite after a straight into the ground bad crash at full speed. Those LiPos gave off smoke and fire for some 5 minutes.

Of course, had those two LiPo batteries ignited in a motocycle crash, methinks the bike rider would have a lot more to worry about.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #31
Whiskers

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post

Just a thought....I ride all year too, snow even hail once...lol....even though LIPO's and other RC batteries are pretty safe when used correctly. I have seen them (LIPO) get nasty hot, smoke and puffy after a rc crash. I would hate to see what they would be like in a bike crash. I don't want that in my pocket!! lol... Dunno...Just my two cents Hope you get back to riding soon! Nice BMW and great scenery!!

Have a good one
Christopher
BTW 78 degrees here yesterday!!
I think he's referring to using the jacket and liner while flying, not while riding, hence needing an alternative power source. And there's some good info in this thread. I really never gave much thought to using batteries for alternative power sources. And that coffee can heater is a great idea too!

I'm not a rider but I wish you the best of luck getting back on the bike. I always try to be respectful of riders and give them ample room ahead of me while driving.

Soaring ever higher, the wind makes me free.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #32
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Ooops ....my bad...

thinkin he need just bigger bonfire!!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #33
Whiskers

Friends: (0)

Can't say I blame you though. I wouldn't want one in my pocket either haha. Heck, I'd still be a little nervous just having it in my pocket while standing still lol.

Soaring ever higher, the wind makes me free.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #34
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

lol.....cant help it....former safety guy
Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #35
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Only use LIFEPO4 battery packs. They will not be damaged by discharges to 0 volts. Can be recharged fully after a 0 % of capacity discharge.

Will not catch fire or explode if they are true A123.
I have been running down a 4 pack 2300 mahr bunch in a vacuum cleaner for over 5 years.
Usually 5 % is only left. Recharges to over 95 % everytime.
H'mmm
Don't know about that. I've accidentally run my two cell 2300 Mah backup A123 receiver batteries completely flat dead twice. Got away with the first unit. The second pack wound up with permanent damage and reduction of milliampere hour capacity.

On the other hand, I'm replacing a 12 Cell A123 battery pack that is now six years old. This battery pack was assembled from those 36 Volt Dewalt portable drill packs. The pack still works, but it only has 85% of original capacity. And each cell has dropped about an additional 0.1 volts at 30 amps.

Just about everything in my models are powered by those A123 cells. They total over 100 of those cells.
Good place to buy them is from here. I've got 10 of them showing up tomorrow, they are in the USA.

http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/serv...1-dsh-A/Detail

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #36
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club

Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
I'm not a rider but I wish you the best of luck getting back on the bike. I always try to be respectful of riders and give them ample room ahead of me while driving.
I appreciate that. It's been a long time.

Here's something that may prove useful--bet there's a way to put a tx in there:http://www.warmnsafe.com/battery-heated-hand-warmer/

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers