Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
guitar man

Friends: (0)
Default My second weekend flying

Overcast sky, absolutely zero wind. Tasted some real success today, kept it up for almost 10 minutes and made a really nice landing on the first flight of the day

What I learned today? Taking kids along to the flying field is pretty cool, when the plane lands some distance away, you never have to go get it
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)

Way to go! It is a great feeling when you start to feel the groove and come home with a smile on your face.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
guitar man

Originally Posted by DCDetector View Post
Way to go! It is a great feeling when you start to feel the groove and come home with a smile on your face.

And the plane intact

Thanks DC
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Whiskers

Isn't it a great feeling? I've got about 10 flights under my belt so far so I'm right there with you. What plane are you flying? I've got the Ares Gamma 370. Going to be adding ailerons to it real soon. Best of luck!

Soaring ever higher, the wind makes me free.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
guitar man

Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Isn't it a great feeling? I've got about 10 flights under my belt so far so I'm right there with you. What plane are you flying? I've got the Ares Gamma 370. Going to be adding ailerons to it real soon. Best of luck!
Hobbyzone mini super cub, I love it, seems to be a real stable flyer so far, real easy to fly. I'll probably wind up clipping the wings and adding ailerons at some point in the future
Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Crashalott
Super Contributor

View Crashalott's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

Heya Guitar man when you get the ailerons installed and learn to use them you will
really enjoy it a lot more believe me. I love making a plane do the rolls and banks and
i try to do knife edge but haven't mastered it by no means.
Have fun
Crash

Crashalott
Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
guitar man

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
Heya Guitar man when you get the ailerons installed and learn to use them you will
really enjoy it a lot more believe me. I love making a plane do the rolls and banks and
i try to do knife edge but haven't mastered it by no means.
Have fun
Crash
Yeah I was missing ailerons this afternoon when I came in high on final approach, I was wishing I could slip it to spill off some altitude

I'm still a long way from being ready for aerobatics. Last weekend my wife said "hey you're getting pretty good at the stunt flying" and I'm like " hell, I'm just trying to fly it straight and level!"
Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
hoghead5150

Friends: (2)

it's a great feeling. i went today and did touch and go's all day. took the apprentice and got 31 minutes of flight time doing nothing but touch and go's. i only have 1 battery for it, so i gotta watch my voltage.

also took the albatros with me and did the same thing. i have 4 batteries for it, and i'm really trying to get better at my landings with it. it's a totally different plane to land compaired to the apprentice.

the more time i'm spending on doing these touch and go's the more confidence i'm getting. i think it's one of the best things i've done to improve my overall flying. these and doing low fly by's. i'm trying to get the plane around 2 feet off the ground and fly it the distance of our runway while staying right in the middle of the runway. i'm trying to do these low and slow like i'm trying to land, but just carrying enough speed to keep the plane in the air. really helping with my control.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
guitar man

Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
it's a great feeling. i went today and did touch and go's all day. took the apprentice and got 31 minutes of flight time doing nothing but touch and go's. i only have 1 battery for it, so i gotta watch my voltage.

also took the albatros with me and did the same thing. i have 4 batteries for it, and i'm really trying to get better at my landings with it. it's a totally different plane to land compaired to the apprentice.

the more time i'm spending on doing these touch and go's the more confidence i'm getting. i think it's one of the best things i've done to improve my overall flying. these and doing low fly by's. i'm trying to get the plane around 2 feet off the ground and fly it the distance of our runway while staying right in the middle of the runway. i'm trying to do these low and slow like i'm trying to land, but just carrying enough speed to keep the plane in the air. really helping with my control.
Yep, that's how we did it back when I was learning to fly the real thing when I was a youngin. "around the patch" , touch and goes over and over until we had it down cold

I was working on orientation and control at altitude today, still getting used to being outside the cockpit watching the plane, it's a trip.

There's a railroad siding at the edge of the field I fly on and they often keep train cars there. Today there was a white hopper car that had grafitti painted on it with red paint. When I flew my red and white plane in front of that red and white train car I lost if for a second, it was like camoflaged while it flew by, wasn't expecting that
Old 12-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

g man,welcome to wattflyer,i have to smile with your reasoning for bring kids along. i learned how to fly the first edition of the hobbyzone skyfly which i would land anywhere if the batteries ran down. then my daught would run out to retrive it for me....the further out it was the harder she laughed at me......but i was the one smiling as she brought it back. i'm glad i eventually learn how to get a plane back in one piece.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners