Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #351
63 nova

View 63 nova's Gallery1
Friends: (0)

Yeah fish the cub is a animal with the park 480 jumps off the water in a few feet alot of fun but I just used my elevator and rudder I have ailerons but with the dehideral in the wing they don't work as well as the rudder but my motor is putting out alot more torque I may need to adjust my torque thrust alittle but it is a sweet flyer
Old 06-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #352
Dimeflyer

Club: haven't picked one yet ?
Friends: (2)

Sonds like you at least had some fun before the wind got to high!
Thats all that counts right !!
This place seems like all we get is high winds or hgh winds along with rain or snow ?
I have not made it past newb at RC flight in two and a half years yet ?!?!?
I am geting frustraited with the weather here any more !
I told you the up grade would be beter fore the floats guy !!
I need to transfer my floats to my lipo/out runner plane to get used to the floats .
Is any one else having trouble with the control horns working loose on on thier SCs
or slow sticks ?
Our foam planes seem like they are all getting slopy and we have not goten
that much use out of them yet ?
George
Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #353
63 nova

View 63 nova's Gallery1

Yeah I got to have some fun I am going to try this evining to do a couple flights off the lake by my house and test my dads cub for him. Are they the control horns that are pressed in with the little things like zip ties?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #354
Dimeflyer

They have the backer plates that sandwich the foam - one plate top and one on the
bottom of the elevator , one on each side of the rudder .
Some have a backer plate along with the horn in one piece and a seperate one
on the other side of foam .
both types I have good ones and bad ones that seem to come apart when you try to control the plane so I think I will try puting a balsa plate in the foam and use the old fashioned type horn with screws through a backer plate ?!?
George
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #355
dheaton

I really like that plane rack you have in your room. I may have to do something like this ad well. I was trying to figure out were to put all my planes. Did you build it?

Originally Posted by Greg74Mayer View Post
I'm still working on getting my SC out of the tree...I actually have some guys I know from our local fire company that are going to stop down. I should tell them there is a cat inside the cockpit

Here is the link to the led kit I put on her...the kit comes complete with a control board,red&green solid nav lights, 2 flashing red beacon lights, 2 white strobes for the back of the wing, and 2 solid white landing lights. I ran everything through the fuselage or through slits I cut on the bottom of the wing. It is a very nice kit with an even nicer price...I get almost all of my electronics from HobbyPartz.com

http://www.hobbypartz.com/41p-flight-led-system.html

Here are some pics
Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #356
dheaton

Well this has been an interesting thread. I read it from day one till the end. Looks like not much on here latley at least this thread.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #357
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

I hear that. I love both my Cubs cant wait to fly them again upon my return home. A lot of folks own a SC many folks tell of their first time with it. As I it was my first plane. I learned on it and it still refuses to retire. I am sure I will keep pushing FWD to the brink of explosion and continue to rebuild it. I may have to change "flirting with Disaster" to "FrankenCub the Disaster" as scared up she has gotten

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #358
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Blew the dust off one of my cubs today with floats. I have never flown off the water and thought it was a good day to try it. I have nicknamed her "ole reliable" she hung in there like a champ. Watch out for the ducks who insisted on getting in the way during take off and again during landing

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #359
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Nice vid Fish !

Wish you had a 3rd person view. Looks like you also need to watch out for fisherman ! LOL

I still have mine but missed the float flys so far this year. Been way to windy for the SC. We might have another one in September.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 08-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #360
Dimeflyer

not in the cards for our area man we have cold weather here and wind , I think Hung
is mad at some one around this place even the guys with lots of HRs at the sticks are grousing about this weather this year !!
George
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #361
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club

Originally Posted by Dimeflyer View Post
not in the cards for our area man we have cold weather here and wind , I think Hung
is mad at some one around this place even the guys with lots of HRs at the sticks are grousing about this weather this year !!
George
I know what you mean I'm in Pittsburgh but I was able to fly some this weekend Also my club is doing a giant scale fly the weekend of sept 6&7th monvalley rc club. I see your in my neck of the woods
Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #362
Dimeflyer

Zoltron55
Where abouts in Pitts are you hiding guy I am close to Mt. Pleasent on SR 31 ,
I did not think any one else around here was into this stuff ?
I belong to the MVRC group AMA #546 we fly out at Cedar Creek Park at Rostraver
Township off Interstate 70/51 exit !
George
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #363
zoltron55

hey you gotta go to some meetings lol. we both belong to the same club. are you going to the giant scale fly-in ? or maybe we already know eachother by different names. I'll pm you
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #364
Dimeflyer

I will try to get the MD.s to let me alone for the next meeting guy ,I have been under
the knife several times for skin cancer in the last few months and lucked out that non
of it malignant types so far but it takes time to heal between trips !
So it's a little hard to be easy to get along with me till it heals .
George
Old 08-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #365
Dimeflyer

Default Sc and MVRC

Zoltron
I forgot about the giant scale meet , I don't fly big planes and am not a supper great pilot yet .
it seems like I am losing my touch with repairs any more to the point I am thinking of going back to model railroading at least those don't leave the ground if you watch what your doing with the throttle on the curves !!!
George
Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #366
DavidR8

Friends: (1)
Default Is this a dumb idea?

I've got an SC. i was considering cutting ailerons into the wing but am a bit hesitant. So I I'm thinking about building a new wing with ailerons out of foamboard, using the same wing dimensions and leaving the stock wing alone.

Does this seem like a bad idea?

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub
Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #367
WingingIt74

Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
I've got an SC. i was considering cutting ailerons into the wing but am a bit hesitant. So I I'm thinking about building a new wing with ailerons out of foamboard, using the same wing dimensions and leaving the stock wing alone.

Just cut them out, you won't be disappointed. Also use a solder gun with a pushrod element instead of a soldering tip to cut out foam, it works great!

Here's a few how to videos:
http://www.horizonrcflyers.com/forum...read.php?t=385

Here's mine, it's a little hotrod with the Park-450:
http://www.horizonrcflyers.com/forum...ead.php?t=1711

-Travis "aka" CLSSY56

Winging It! with Travis & Jeremy
On FaceBook & YouTube
Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #368
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I would say go for it. It is really easy and can be done in just a few minutes make sure you have a sharp blade. I tape a ruler to the wing so my cuts are straight. There are ton of techniques out there, however scratchbuilding a wing would be awesome as well and I for one would be interested in you techniques so if you decide to do I would document here on wattflyer a lot of folks could learn a thing or two

Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #369
zoltron55

Build Review

a new wing from horizon is only 20 bucks & comes with struts. headsup has servos for under 5bucks each,y connector is 2.50 go for it
Old 10-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #370
Greg74Mayer

Club: Hobby Hut
Friends: (3)

I've got an SC. i was considering cutting ailerons into the wing but am a bit hesitant. So I I'm thinking about building a new wing with ailerons out of foamboard, using the same wing dimensions and leaving the stock wing alone.s this seem like a bad idea?
Here is an excellent video on how to install ailerons on your cub. This guy has 20 videos total with step by step videos on totally building up, upgrade, and re-enforcing your cub. I would recommend watching them all if you when you have a lot of time...very helpful...The aileron videos are 5 to 7.

Ah gravity, thou art a heartless b**ch
Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #371
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

+1 on those vids. I followed them to the Tee. Still have my Cubby, 25 planes later. Keep her around for float flys. Something sentimental about her. Like my first date. LOL One thing I did was bought a second wing. Took out most of the dihedral and cut the ailerons. Kept the original wing just in case I screwed things up with the mods.

Alot of the early mods like the ones in the video series were before they came out with the BL 2.4 version as standard. I have the brushed 27ghz version which I modded to BL 2.4, bigger battery cabin, big tundra wheels, modded wheel pants, ailerons, and later floats. Hope you disabled ACT. What a bad feature.

Good luck ! May your second plane be a PZ T-28.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 10-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #372
DavidR8

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
+1 on those vids. I followed them to the Tee. Still have my Cubby, 25 planes later. Keep her around for float flys. Something sentimental about her. Like my first date. LOL One thing I did was bought a second wing. Took out most of the dihedral and cut the ailerons. Kept the original wing just in case I screwed things up with the mods.

Alot of the early mods like the ones in the video series were before they came out with the BL 2.4 version as standard. I have the brushed 27ghz version which I modded to BL 2.4, bigger battery cabin, big tundra wheels, modded wheel pants, ailerons, and later floats. Hope you disabled ACT. What a bad feature.

Good luck ! May your second plane be a PZ T-28.

-Hawk
As a matter of curiosity, the decals on mine are red so I have no idea of its vintage. Mine has been modded with an eMax 2215 motor turning a 9x6 prop, Turnigy Plush 30A ESC controlled by a Futaba 617 RX. I run 3S 2200 mah batteries.

I have a Fun Cub hanging in my shop, just waiting for me to become even reasonably competent...

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub
Old 11-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #373
zoltron55

I want to make a clipped wing with ailerons I do not know how many inches I should cut out. anyone ever do this ? Also I'm gonna make a dedicated float plane this winter so I don't have to mount the floats every time I attend a float & fly I'll post some pics when I get started
Old 11-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #374
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by zoltron55 View Post
I want to make a clipped wing with ailerons I do not know how many inches I should cut out. anyone ever do this ?
I have 2 SC, though I have not clipped my wings I did flatten them and added ailerons 12 inches long and and approximately 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide. I think most folks who have added ailerons to the plane have ued these dimensions. It has worked great for me and brings the cub to a whole new life. Also I replaced the motor with an Eflite 450 and the other with a 480. I also added flotes to one of them and again brings a new fun to a good plane

Old 11-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #375
zoltron55

Build Review

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
I have 2 SC, though I have not clipped my wings I did flatten them and added ailerons 12 inches long and and approximately 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide. I think most folks who have added ailerons to the plane have ued these dimensions. It has worked great for me and brings the cub to a whole new life. Also I replaced the motor with an Eflite 450 and the other with a 480. I also added flotas to one of them and again brings a new fun to a good plane
I have the servos & Y-harness & a good video for the aileron mod. I want to do the clip wing & paint it like the flying sullivans supercub. What difference is the 450 & the 480 make in performance ?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers