Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #51
wjisitt

Friends: (0)
Angry hobby king are useless

hi all just letting you know ive also purchased from hobbyking 2nd order and my item takes 4 weeks to arrive damaged - have tried for 3 months to get our money back no success - all i can say is DONT BUY FROM THEM THEY RIP YOU OFF
Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #52
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

HK customer service sucks, no question.
When you order from them it's best assume the worst case that if you are unlucky and it arrives damaged or faulty you are one your own. Factor that assumption into your buying decision. It still can make sense to buy from them because they can be MUCH cheaper and most stuff arrives ok and works when it arrives, so the chance can be worth taking.
Their customer service does sometimes come good, so if there is a problem it's worth having a try. If they do come good I look on it as an unexpected bonus. Over the years I've managed to get a replacement fuselage and a credit for a faulty ESC out of them, but it's never straightforward and you need to be persistent, and sometimes you still don't get anywhere.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #53
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)

Started to order the 61" P-51 mustang from HK yesterday at $165 but when I went to check out it was over $300. They wanted $195 shipping but they showed them "In Stock"

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12166

Never mind I figured it out. You have to click on the "from a warehouse near you" at the bottom to see if it is available in the USA. Now $265 with batteries guess I get it.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #54
SuchIsLife

Some of the stuff is what you'd expect for the price, but a lot is really good, comparable or sometimes even better than the name brands and a quarter the price.
The reviews are why I started shopping there, it lets you pick out the real bargains. I've usually been more than pleased.

I've ordered hundreds of things from them. I've had 2 things with issues. One cost $3 so I just threw it out, and the other a motor that was replaced for me. Easy enough, They asked for a video showing the problem and I didn't even have to return it. I thought that was pretty good really.

wjisitt, you have one post, and it is to mention hobbyking is terrible? hmm... What happened? Why wouldn't they replace a damaged item? I get the impression they have overhauled their customer service this year and most warranty claims are being sorted out for people.

Dynam Spitfire, Dynam P-51, Electrafly Camel, scratchbuilt foamboard F-15 and full fuse Spad XIII, paper airplanes, rubber bands, anything I can fly.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #55
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

hk is best for those who can't get shipping from usa,i use them for batteries and only had 2 packs come in poor condition.other wise i buy what i'm willing to loose if it arrives damaged.
just ordered their keychain camera for $7 +$3shipping.order before that was $108 batteries all arrived good.

i can't speak from experience......but a buddy of mine bought the copy of the 3dhs 60"ws extra which arrived with a broken canopy.he tried customer survice without getting a replacement. so on a brand new plane theres tape on the canopy. this is a shame and it really looks to be a nicely built plane.

i'v gotten their hk parkjet 4 times and all arrived in good shape.

i don't know why i bothered to add to this thread...i guess i get tied of babies crying foul when the name of the game with hk is "hit or miss,win or loose". take it with a grain of salt and if you need to,take a couple asprin and a beer or 2.....

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #56
E-Challenged

I admit that I have never ordered from HK/HC. From what I have read on these forums, they almost never have replacement parts for newer ARF foamies in stock. So if you lawn-dart your foam warbird, you may not get to make a second flight attempt for months. Some HK buyers just round file cheaper items that are DOA rather than trying to get replacments or refunds in a timely manner. The quality and reliability, and customer support of cheaply made asian hobby products often matches the cheap prices. There are exceptions in brushless motors, lipo packs, etc. I feel better buying what I can at local hobby shops and ordering from US hobby suppliers. Quicker gratification, avoids shipping and handling costs and many hassles.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #57
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
i can't speak from experience......but a buddy of mine bought the copy of the 3dhs 60"ws extra which arrived with a broken canopy.he tried customer survice without getting a replacement. so on a brand new plane theres tape on the canopy. this is a shame and it really looks to be a nicely built plane.
3DHS dont make a 60" Extra.. maybe that's why he strugled to get spares

They do a 57" one, is that the plane he has? I've ordered from 3DHS but never had to use their customer service, from the feedback from many others though I'd be amazed if they wouldn't have sorted him out if he was persistent. Did he phone and email and maybe try RCGRoups (where there are 3DHS support staff active)?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #58
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

ahh,need to clarify ,what i meant to say is hobbyking built a extra almost identical to 3dhs[in context to the threads question i said copy of 3dhs...]....,and hk wouldn't rplace the broken canopy.

3dhobbyshop is excellent service and the quality of there builds are the same as their reputation......very good!.

sorry about the confusion .the point of my post was only about hk and their custormer service on high end items is terrible.

what i will say regarding 3dhs is if you have $140 to buy a plane that flys great,get their aj slick 42 inchws. it's the best flyer in the hanger. so nice that after i totaled one i replaced it asap. heres a picture of the wreckage....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slick 3dhs 016.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	164817   Click image for larger version

Name:	hog build pictures 257.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	164818  

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #59
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
3dhobbyshop is excellent service and the quality of there builds are the same as their reputation......very good!.
Have you tried them lately? Things have changed at 3DHS. Sadly
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #60
bluzjamer

Club: South County R C Club, Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (4)

This all comes out in the wash. Any online store be it usa or off shore that doesn't keep it's customers happy will not be around too long. If it isn't cost effective it won't last long either. HK set up a USA Whse that doesn't appear to be any cheaper than it's mother store. Shipping kills most deals and companies that can't do it cheap and effectively will lose many sales. LHS are way out of wack where I live, unless I absolutely have to have it right away, I avoid them. It's shame as they seem to be well stocked.
Being on fixed income I can't throw money away. So in order to stay flying I have to use the net. Fustrating on all the out of stock items and lack of spare simple parts for crashed planes.

AMA # 944164

Some people hang pictures in their homes, I hang guitars in mine. I guess I can hang a few planes in the garage too!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #61
SuchIsLife

Originally Posted by bluzjamer View Post
... So in order to stay flying I have to use the net....
I'm with you there bluz. I fly every weekend and we all occasionally crash. I'd be grounded an awful lot if it wasn't for HK. I do own a 3DHS edge and a few great planes, but just couldn't afford to keep them running without hxt900s and NTM motors.

I just received my L-59 Super Albatros Composite 90mm EDF 1200mm from hobbyking yesterday.
I am absolutely blown away by the quality. Never mind the price, I'd be pleased if I'd paid double. The detail is immaculate and you really have to see it to appreciate it. HK has it's game on right now.

Originally Posted by bluzjamer View Post
...Fustrating on all the out of stock items and lack of spare simple parts for crashed planes...
It is a shame, there are no spare for my albatross. However I can buy an entire spare airframe for two hundred bucks

I notice they have spare everything for all the durafly stuff they've brought out recently which is good.

Dynam Spitfire, Dynam P-51, Electrafly Camel, scratchbuilt foamboard F-15 and full fuse Spad XIII, paper airplanes, rubber bands, anything I can fly.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #62
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

To many bad storys about HK and i bought from my local hobby shop for 25 years now ,with 20 percent off. I recently ordered from value hobby and they shiped it fast (2days), my order was complete and good prices as well. I live in the same state as value hobbys so if you order further away it could take longer . http://www.valuehobby.com/ joe
Old 02-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #63
Bygollyman

Default Crooks or Geniuses?

I simply can no longer understand anyone ordering from Hobby King. Simply put they are crooks! BEC's incorrectly rated, Carbon Rods which are plastic, Motors which shafts break etc. And customer Service which is simply non-existent. I ordered 6 receivers, I have not yet received them so have ordered 10 more from another source.

People try other sites such as Value Hobby, much better equipment, only marginally more expensive and customer service which is excellent.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #64
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

We all have our own experiences but stuff going missing in the mail is hardly Hobbyking's fault. They don't run the mail service after all.

I just placed my 51st order with HobbyKing. Of all these orders so far I have had a two or three issues but eventually with perseverance and patience on my part HobbyKing did come up with a reasonable solution. I think their customer support people deliberately act stupid to try to put you off, you have to be determined.

You also need to do your homework with Hobbyking. They have thousands of different products and some are very low quality, some on the other hand are excellent. Read the reviews both on the Hobbyking site and in online forums, plus use some common-sense. If you do this based on my pretty considerable experience, you should be ok.

If you cant be bothered with this potential hassle then there are other options that do undoubtedly deliver better customer service, at a price. But I dont know of any other dealer that delivers the sheer breadth of choice that Hobbyking offer.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #65
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by Bygollyman View Post
I simply can no longer understand anyone ordering from Hobby King. Simply put they are crooks! BEC's incorrectly rated, Carbon Rods which are plastic, Motors which shafts break etc. And customer Service which is simply non-existent. I ordered 6 receivers, I have not yet received them so have ordered 10 more from another source.

People try other sites such as Value Hobby, much better equipment, only marginally more expensive and customer service which is excellent.
It is all unique for sure. My last HK order (from the US) was here in two days. My last Value Hobby order took 17 days (IL to TX). My order prior to that had the wrong stuff - and a servo extension that was 3" shorter than advertised. I am candidly about done with Value Hobby.

I have had good luck with HobbyPartz and others swear at them. I ordered some Spektrum compatible RX's from Lemon after hearing great things. My first order arrived in 11 days (no too bad) but two of my 5 RX's would not bind. They sent replacements after I sent a short video. Nice! That replacement order only took 8 days!

But my next order for 5 more - took 47 days to arrive. Again I had one OBF but this time I just decided to be done with them...

I certainly have had my bad luck with HK - no doubt. But in some areas they are far better than they used to be. The stuff is still cheap, no doubt.

So - you for sure pay your money and take your chances.

I have had perfect service with Tower, Horizon, AlleRC and a few others that are gone now. I think it safe to say nobody is perfect but they sure differ in how they "fix" the errors.

Mike
Old 02-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #66
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

A flying buddy gave me a few servos. $3 9 grams jobs from hobby king. Ive lost three of them now in in 5 flights, flight on a slowstick of all things. I had a $3 tower pro servo on there for about a year previously which i killed in a bad crash.

Only thing i buy from hobby king is batteries. Almost any online hobby shop will meet prices on most things, and have customer service. If i only ordered from hobby king instead of headsup when i first started flying, im sure i would have walked away from the hobby by now.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 02-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #67
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Like I said about common sense. What do you expect for $3? Heck you couldn't buy a decent burger for $3

A $3 servo is so cheap that common sense tells you that the quality just has to be very poor. I'd not put a $3 servo from any supplier in any model I cared a hoot about, and if i did, and it failed, then i would only have myself to blame.

You have got to consider that Hobbyking don't make the servos (or most other stuff they sell) they just buy it in and sell it. If it's cheap rubbish then it's the same cheap rubbish that you would buy cheap from anywhere else, just that Hobbyking maybe sell it a little cheaper than anyone else, but it's still the same cheap rubbish.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #68
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Frankly, I've had good luck with the htx 900 9G servos for my smaller foamies. I always place orders with HK with low expectations. Never expect to return anything. Don't fret shipping. Buy lots of odds and ends like connector's, retracts, struts, lipos, etc. Have bought a few planes like Durafly and the Edge 540T. I also buy from hobbypartz and headsup for all kinds of miscellaneous stuff.

When it comes to planes, Motion RC is my favorite online LHS. I also like Value Hobby and even Nitroplanes. An occasional order with Maxford , Banana, Atomik, Toysonics and Hobby People depending on what I'm looking for.

Have yet to be truly burned by any of them. Maybe disappointed here and there.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #69
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Same here, I like the HXT servos (HXT500 and HXT900) so much that I sell them on my website. Now, it could be that if any of the hundreds of servos I've sold have been bad, nobody has told me about it, but I have not had one customer complaint about them.

There was one point when HexTronik was making the nylon gears with black nylon material, but people complained and they went back to white. I did see online some comments about the black gears being weak, but none of mine ever failed.

Does HK have some junk product on their site? Of course. In fact, there are only certain items I will order from them now. But I still buy from them on a regular basis.

Pat Gagnon
Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #70
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

If it weren't for hobbyking,i probably wouldn't still be able to afford this hobby.Sure,some of their stuff is crap,but there are also many products which have served me very well.
I have pretty much standardised on the mg90 servos,and have never had a failure.I run them on a 2-cell Life pack,or the esc's bec.
A 3-cell 2200mah Li-po costs $75 locally,and that's some no-name chinese pack.For that sort of money i can land 4 from hk.I've only had 1 failure due to my own stupidity,soldering the xt60 plug on with the polarity reversed.
I believe a large proportion of complaints about hk stuff is caused by the customers themselves,using the product in an inappropriate manner,e.g,too small esc,wrong prop,etc.
If you can afford to support the local hobby shop,good on you.I don't have that choice,so it's hk all the way.
My$0.02.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #71
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Ive pretty much only used 9 gram $3 servos. Never had one fail unless it was a serious crash. Ill bet ive got 3-400 flight hours on some of them.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #72
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Ive pretty much only used 9 gram $3 servos. Never had one fail unless it was a serious crash. Ill bet ive got 3-400 flight hours on some of them.
I couldn't agree more. I have fourteen scratchbuilds all fitted out with Hobbyking electronics. Many are years old with lots of hours on them and all are fitted out with HXT 9g servos. The only ones I ever had fail were the bad batch of black armed ones which were awful. The white armed type have been totally reliable as have their ESCs.
I once had an Orange receiver fail in flight and discovered that it was due to an intermittent circuit board joint on the power pin. I now test for this as others have reported the same issue.
All in all they have served me well and remain the only way in which I can realistically afford to equip my builds.

Barry
Old 02-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #73
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Oh well. it seems like those $3 servos can be a lot better than the price would suggest, I stand corrected.
The general point still remains though that if you buy based purely on lowest price then you should not be too suprised if it turns out to be a low quality product.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #74
Siberianhusky

Club: Human Race

I don't mind shopping at HK up to a certain price point.
I'll take the risk to lose a few bucks, once it gets to the point that I will miss the money if I end up with a bad product I'll happily pay more to buy from the local hobby shop, at least there I know I'll have a bit of recourse if the product is defective. And I won't potentially have to ship it back on my dime.
I've had pretty good luck with those cheap HK white digital mico servos in park fliers, none arrived doa and haven't failed yet.
With a bit of common sense, reading the reviews along with a quick internet search, some luck, there are some great deals at HK.
Never buy anything out of stock! It may never be back in stock! Although Hobby Partz and their associate stores are the worst for this, they have stuff on their sites that have been out of stock for 2 years or more! Once the shipping container is empty that's it.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #75
Panther

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Same here, I like the HXT servos (HXT500 and HXT900) so much that I sell them on my website. Now, it could be that if any of the hundreds of servos I've sold have been bad, nobody has told me about it, but I have not had one customer complaint about them.

There was one point when HexTronik was making the nylon gears with black nylon material, but people complained and they went back to white. I did see online some comments about the black gears being weak, but none of mine ever failed.

Does HK have some junk product on their site? Of course. In fact, there are only certain items I will order from them now. But I still buy from them on a regular basis.
Replacement gear sets for the HXT 900 are the black ones. I have a few sets coming for stock as I found some of the gears fit other brand servos perfectly. Only ever had one 900 strip a gear in a bad cartwheel.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
good , hobbykingcom , stuff