Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)
Default your thoughts please

I added a brushless combo to my Harbor cub the motor is angled down and to the right I'm not sure the degree and I have about 2oz of weight in the nose for the cog. The planes nose tends to tip up and stall at first I thought it could be the wind but it did the same going with the wind. When the nose goes up I back off the throttle & then it wants to nose dive. What can I try to fix it please. More weight or motor angle checking the cog I could get by with a bit more weight maybe.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
I added a brushless combo to my Harbor cub the motor is angled down and to the right I'm not sure the degree and I have about 2oz of weight in the nose for the cog. The planes nose tends to tip up and stall at first I thought it could be the wind but it did the same going with the wind. When the nose goes up I back off the throttle & then it wants to nose dive. What can I try to fix it please. More weight or motor angle checking the cog I could get by with a bit more weight maybe.
Most cheapy airplanes have Positive incidence on the main wing, meaning that the wing has a up pitch to it, remove the up incidence cut or shim the wing saddle, check the incidence on the elevator, set the incidence to 0-0 give the motor 5 degrees of down thrust, remove the right thrust for now, set the CG at 25% of the wing cord or 1/4 quarter of the way back from the front leading edge of the main wing, hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Now that you have more power the up incidence is really showing up, the up incidence on cheapy planes help with the low powered brush motors.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
hangingon

Chellie is postive incidence being the leading edge of the wings are set at a higher angle from the rear of the wing to give it more lift or is it the angle of the wing from the center of the plane to the wing tips?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Chellie is postive incidence being the leading edge of the wings are set at a higher angle from the rear of the wing to give it more lift or is it the angle of the wing from the center of the plane to the wing tips?
Hi Yes that what pos incidence is, if you have it, take it out of your plane, make the main wing and stab/elevator level with one another

Angle of Incidence

Angle of the airfoil's centerline to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft.
Positive incidence indicates that the center of the leading edge is higher than the center of the trailing edge.
Negative incidence indicates that the center of the leading edge of the wing is lower than the center of the trailing edge of the wing.

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...-to-fly-right/

Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Lots of great info here

http://airfieldmodels.com/information_source/index.htm

http://airfieldmodels.com/informatio...uilding_board/

Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/trim.html

Trimming Your Bird!

A good guide for setting your aircraft's trim adjustments...

Theres a lot more to getting your airplane trimmed, than just sliding the tabs on your transmitter. A correctly trimmed airplane is much more stable and fun to fly! When building a model airplane, it is important that the plane be balanced and wing incidences be set correctly. Take your time with these procedures! If you don't have an incidence meter, borrow or buy one. This is the only correct way to check and set your incidence. Check the balance on the CG front to rear, and from left to right. One of the easiest ways to do this is by finding the CG on the fuselage,

Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
hangingon

Thank you for all the info. I was still a little tail heavy also but I did get the wing a little lower in the front I took the right thrust out. Of course this is a very cheap plane. And while making the changes I seen the lower rudder hinge was comming lose from the main tail as with elevator I now have these reguled. So if saturday turns out to be a calm day I will give it a test flight and let you know how it does. I looked at a Hobby Zone super cub today when I was picking up parts for my heli. I may put it on my Christmas list.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thank you for all the info. I was still a little tail heavy also but I did get the wing a little lower in the front I took the right thrust out. Of course this is a very cheap plane. And while making the changes I seen the lower rudder hinge was comming lose from the main tail as with elevator I now have these reguled. So if saturday turns out to be a calm day I will give it a test flight and let you know how it does. I looked at a Hobby Zone super cub today when I was picking up parts for my heli. I may put it on my Christmas list.
Hope the Changes and Repairs help, Just keep your plane under 100 MPH and you will be fine if it does go over 100 MPH let us know on the thread Below Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26852

Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
hangingon

Thank you again the plane does fly better now. I got some good flight time in this morning. I do think I have the little cub over powered now. Once I get around 120 mph I back off the throttle stick! LOL It has more power then it needs I fly a little under 1/2 throttle and the plane is pretty stable easy loops & ground take offs are no problem. Extra power is better than not enough with the brushed 380 it was full stick most of the time.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

Are you still flying with 2oz of lead in the nose?
If you are see if you can move the battery (or anything else) forward to get the same balance without the lead.
If it flies ok now think what it will be like 2oz lighter!
Don't worry about flying on less than full power there is nothing wrong with that. I have a couple of planes that only ever use full power when I want to go up vertically!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thank you again the plane does fly better now. I got some good flight time in this morning. I do think I have the little cub over powered now. Once I get around 120 mph I back off the throttle stick! LOL It has more power then it needs I fly a little under 1/2 throttle and the plane is pretty stable easy loops & ground take offs are no problem. Extra power is better than not enough with the brushed 380 it was full stick most of the time.
Thats great to Hear I normally fly at only 1/2 throttle because all of my planes are over powered LOL Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
hangingon

Without the weight it's tail heavy and thats with the battery as far forward into the nose as it can go. the receiver & esc mount under the wing in the fuse. Stock with the heavier brushed motor and ni-mh it had to have weight added for the cog I'm at 2 1/4 oz. now. It's a small plane fuselage is 29" wingspan 37" my brushless motor is 1650KV & for now I'm using a 2 cell 25c 900 mah battery that I also use in my CX2 heli.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Without the weight it's tail heavy and thats with the battery as far forward into the nose as it can go. the receiver & esc mount under the wing in the fuse. Stock with the heavier brushed motor and ni-mh it had to have weight added for the cog I'm at 2 1/4 oz. now. It's a small plane fuselage is 29" wingspan 37" my brushless motor is 1650KV & for now I'm using a 2 cell 25c 900 mah battery that I also use in my CX2 heli.
get a couple 1300 mah 2 cell only about $5.12 from HK from the USA warehouse, the added weight of the lipo will allow you to remove the extra weight that you had to add, better the weight be batteries or a bigger motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._2S1P_20C.html

Old 12-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #15
hangingon

Thank you again Chellie!! Your great help to me. I have my first fuselage left from where I replaced it with a new one so I'm using it for modding the battery box for fitting a bigger battery in the plane. It is raining here and has been all day so that is what I was doing before reading your reply. My plan is to build the plane using the old fuselage to see if the cg is good and make adjustments if needed before using my good fuselage. The battery is 3cell 25c 2200mah I dont know if it will work but hey what more is there to do on a rainy day? Flying my cx2 around the living room! Done that and the sims while the glue dries on the cub fuse. Even if it don't work it keep me from setting around wishing I could go fly.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
get a couple 1300 mah 2 cell only about $5.12 from HK from the USA warehouse, the added weight of the lipo will allow you to remove the extra weight that you had to add, better the weight be batteries or a bigger motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._2S1P_20C.html
Thats how i fly this plane but with 2-3cell 3200 packsi in the nose and it was chellie that gave me the idea 2 years or so ago when i got here and still learning .lol She has some great tips on flying electrict . joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	165418  
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #17
hangingon

I like the plane there road king. The cub is small and there is not much room for batteries without some cutting. I had to cutout some foam to get the 2s 900mah's to fit and thats what I use to fly my cx2. I just bought a slow stick and I need to get new batteries so I might try 1300mah 3s and if I can fit them in the cub as well that will be good but if they won't fit I'll wish I bought bigger packs for my slow stick. The GWS manual say's 1300 to 1800 mah for the SS.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

I like the plane there road king. The cub is small and there is not much room for batteries without some cutting. I had to cutout some foam to get the 2s 900mah's to fit and thats what I use to fly my cx2. I just bought a slow stick and I need to get new batteries so I might try 1300mah 3s and if I can fit them in the cub as well that will be good but if they won't fit I'll wish I bought bigger packs for my slow stick. The GWS manual say's 1300 to 1800 mah for the SS.
Thats the best part of scratch building .I knew it had a loooong tail so i hollowed out the solid nose block so i could slide my battery way up front but it still was not enough .I used heavy sheating on my tail section but i weigh sheeting now after learning the hard way . Chellie was the one who said to double up my batterys andit worked fine .I can stick my head inside my fuse but i have small planes with your same issue. I would try the 3 cell and see where your cg is then and if it fits in. If it does not get your cg close they make weighted spinner nuts so you can get the weight way out front . Good luck . joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers