Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default 4 essentials IMHO

1. Wattmeter for testiing power set-ups, testing LiPo's etc.
2. Reasonable charger that covers most packs you'd use plus balance charging / assessment.
3. Servo Tester unit - a standalone unit that servos can be plugged intyo to centre or test for full arc swing etc.
4. 4.8v NiMH small flight pack or BEC unit that can supply the 4.8V to the servo tester 3.

These in my den are invaluable tools when setting up the model / general use.

Why did I add the servo tester and 4.8v pack ?

When building or first setting up a model - the servo tester and 4.8v pack are one of the best tools going. No need to fire up Tx / Rx ... no need for any actual radio gear other than the servos in place. Plug them in ... set tester to CENTRE ... that now gives you servos ready to position arms and set-up rod lengths etc.
The cost being generally under $10 ... is a bargain IMHO.

The Wattmeter and Chargers have had numerous threads about those .. so will not repeat here.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

Nigel i dont have any of those but i need to get them ,at one time i thought i would never fly electrcict planes as much and my nitro or gas planes but things have changed and i need to change to. Thanks for the reminder . joe
Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Good advice as always Nigel.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
Nigel i dont have any of those but i need to get them ,at one time i thought i would never fly electrcict planes as much and my nitro or gas planes but things have changed and i need to change to. Thanks for the reminder . joe
The servo tester doesn't care about whether gas or lecky !!

You're lucky - like me you will have NiMH flight packs knocking around from gas planes to use ...

Mine are a collection of home-made 4 cell 2300mAh NiMH in holders taped secure and wired up with servo lead, JR proprietary packs ...

First thing I do when I open a new delivery that incl's servos - put them on tester and cycle them for a few minutes ... just to make sure.

You know you can also use a Tester with your ESC to control a motor ? That was a surprise to me ..

Nigel

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Good advice as always Nigel.
Tks FB ... you still away from home ? I'm in Venezuela at moment on another job ... wondering if I'll make it for Xmas ...

Nigel

Old 12-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The servo tester doesn't care about whether gas or lecky !!

You're lucky - like me you will have NiMH flight packs knocking around from gas planes to use ...

Mine are a collection of home-made 4 cell 2300mAh NiMH in holders taped secure and wired up with servo lead, JR proprietary packs ...

First thing I do when I open a new delivery that incl's servos - put them on tester and cycle them for a few minutes ... just to make sure.

You know you can also use a Tester with your ESC to control a motor ? That was a surprise to me ..

Nigel

Nigel
I will order the watt meter soon and i do have batterys laying around . I have battery testers and such but need to buy the right stuff now that i know iam going to fly more and more e stuff. I have been flying for 30 years and never had a servo go bad . I have all hightek servos and they have worked flawless for me but i should test them too. joe
Old 12-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Why is it easier to use a servo tester then transmitter?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Why is it easier to use a servo tester then transmitter?
Servo tester does not need anything except 4.8v power. No Rx, No Tx, ...

When building a model - I usually get to a stage that cut slots and fit the servos. I then want to know relations of rods / arms etc. to surfaces without dragging out Rx, Tx, ESC, LiPo etc.

All I do is plug in servos to powered tester and bingo ... small, compact and simple. I can even test arc of swing of arm to be sure is clear. I'm actually thinking to open up my tester and see if I can insert a small 1/3rd AAA pack inside to make more compact.

Tx can stay on bench charged up and quiet ready for flight.

Nigel

Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I guess I haven't had to work on anything that the servo's are hard to get to. I actually enjoy setting up servo's with the transmitter, so I can set my throws to get an idea of actual pushrod travel and direction, do a quick range test, and its ready to fly.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

I only have the charger, and a paddock full of waist high crops to absorb mistakes
Old 12-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I guess I haven't had to work on anything that the servo's are hard to get to. I actually enjoy setting up servo's with the transmitter, so I can set my throws to get an idea of actual pushrod travel and direction, do a quick range test, and its ready to fly.
Hay ... you are talking much later down the road ... when even I use the Tx ! I'm talking about when part way through build and sorting servo position, etc.
It has nothing to do with hard to get servos ....

Nigel

Old 12-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Tks FB ... you still away from home ? I'm in Venezuela at moment on another job ... wondering if I'll make it for Xmas ...

Nigel
Yep I will be away until Spring time Just in time for good flying weather in the US

Nigel do you have a link or two to a servo tester that you use or recommend? It has sparked a lot of my curiosity. They appear to be very inexpensive but to a newbie builder or someone like myself who devils into it from time to time does not know a quality piece of equipment from garbage.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
hillbille

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Servo testers will also operate an ESC through the range if necessary.

IMHO you missed one very essential item for electric flight - a good soldering iron.

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post

IMHO you missed one very essential item for electric flight - a good soldering iron.

Hillbille
Got to agree with this. I made the mistake of buying your cheap department store iron and wondered why all my connctions were junk.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers
Friends: (0)

One more use for the 4.8 volt battery; use it by powering up your receiver (just plug it into any open slot on the receiver instead of the ESC) to bind it to new systems. That way you do not need to worry about throttle position or about the prop doing those occasional nasty things by taking off unexpectedly.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Yep I will be away until Spring time Just in time for good flying weather in the US

Nigel do you have a link or two to a servo tester that you use or recommend? It has sparked a lot of my curiosity. They appear to be very inexpensive but to a newbie builder or someone like myself who devils into it from time to time does not know a quality piece of equipment from garbage.
I too don't know a good one from garbage ! But I bought the tester on Hobby King ...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...vo_Tester.html

as it covered various pulse width servos etc. At $7.95 + shipp. - I thought it was a steal ! It works well and I am very happy with it. OK - it's not like a more expensive one that will tell you dead-band width etc. - but then I'm not that finicky ! I just want to know if servo works Ok or not. There is a cheaper one at half that price but is not dual pulse width.

Nigel

Old 12-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post

Hillbille
I think we could all add a lot more items to the list, my point in the 4 was actually a lead into the Servo Tester and 4.8v pack .... which you rarely see mentioned.

I have an old iron that has been with me for nigh on 40yrs ... in fact so long that the bit is worn half away ... I keep looking for a replacement iron - but all the ones of 40W and up locally are pointed tips instead of the flat spade end I want. Looks like another online purchase coming up !

Nigel

Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
hillbille

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Servo testers:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...M-Servo/Detail

http://www.hobbypartz.com/servotester.html

http://www.gorillabobsrc.com/catalog...roducts_id=631

These are all USA distributors. The products might be Chinese but at least the dealer is here.

A good soldering iron is essential but - that being said - knowing the proper method for soldering is also essential.

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners