Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #26
dheaton

Friends: (0)

Oh man it looks like you have lots of spare parts on hand. That is great. How do you guys all store your planes so they don't get damaged.

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
LOL
That's the way a work table is supposed to look!!

(Some years ago our agent and I traveled to a customer in N. Dakota. The Dep't manager's desk had one sheet of paper, and one pencil on it. That was it. His desk was absolutely clean.

Agent whispered to me, "we're in for a rough time". He was right.)

Attached is part of my workbench. Out of sight on the left side is a 12 inch Craftsman metal lathe, milling machine, bandsaw, and storage shelves. The cabinets over the workbench came from our old kitchen. The kitchen cabinet doors and frame were removed as a piece part. Then one by twelve lumber stock was purchased, and the cabinet frames were nailed to the lumber stock. Works very well, and didn't cost to much.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

I take wood dowls and drill them into 2- 2x4s the 3 1/2 way about 5 ft high so the dowls stick out about 16 inches .I space them about every 16 inches going up from the floor and my planes wing and fuse fit across the wood dowls . I hang some up and my 3/4 van, i built racks across the sides with 1/2 electrict pipe and then rapped those in 1/2 pipe insulation so my stuff does not get banged up. Spare closets, extra rooms ,ceiling in my basement are full too. Iam building a pole barn with heating tubes in the concrete floor soon so they can all end up in one place and have my shop out there to. joe
Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
bluzjamer

Club: South County R C Club, Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (4)

PVC tube 1/2" or 3/4". I have both racks made up in the garage (hanger) and hang some off the ceiling using pvc also. Wings that are easliy removed get stacked in racks along with fuses. Together planes get hung and are ready to go. Works for me but never enough room.

AMA # 944164

Some people hang pictures in their homes, I hang guitars in mine. I guess I can hang a few planes in the garage too!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by dheaton View Post
Oh man it looks like you have lots of spare parts on hand. That is great. How do you guys all store your planes so they don't get damaged.
If you look at the top of my photo on posting #24, there is a rack built from two 2X4's, with a one inch dowel wrapped in pipe insulation for placing my models, complete with wings.

Works very well, six of my models are stored that way. Two of them are giant scales. Of course if you have a basement, it has to have a very high ceiling for this to work.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #30
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Well my purpose built Hobby Den is now so full of junk - I've moved out to my Home Office that I no longer need. That's on 2nd floor of the house.

You really do not want to see photos of my den or office. They both look like WW3 happened there.

Models - I hang by threads from ceiling beams, others stand on floor, on coffee-tables, across spare chairs !! Basically anywhere I don't tread on them ....

Yes - one day I must sort it all out. Originally I was going to convert the ex KGB cells under my house to model build / store room - but was advised against it due to damp and problem to heat ... it also has exterior access which is no good in winter. What I will put down there though is set-up my Model Railway and Slot-car tracks ... yes I'm an overgrown kiddie at heart !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

I use a 36" wide hollow-core door to which I have epoxy-laminated a 1/2" thick insulation board (it looks like a really thick piece of felt). This sits atop a pair of adjustable height folding steel sawhorses. The plans get covered with a 2 mil sheet of clear polyethelene drop cloth so they don't get inadvertantly glued to the assembled whatever. Polyethylene is one of those plastics that nothing sticks to (not even epoxy or cyanoacrylate).

I would like to make a magnetic board, but all the steel sandwiched ceramic magnets I can find are IMO barely strong enough to keep a cabinet door closed, let alone hold a bent piece of balsa in place. I know where I can get rare earth magnets, but they would be too strong I think.

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #32
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
I use a 36" wide hollow-core door to which I have epoxy-laminated a 1/2" thick insulation board (it looks like a really thick piece of felt). This sits atop a pair of adjustable height folding steel sawhorses. The plans get covered with a 2 mil sheet of clear polyethelene drop cloth so they don't get inadvertantly glued to the assembled whatever. Polyethylene is one of those plastics that nothing sticks to (not even epoxy or cyanoacrylate).

I would like to make a magnetic board, but all the steel sandwiched ceramic magnets I can find are IMO barely strong enough to keep a cabinet door closed, let alone hold a bent piece of balsa in place. I know where I can get rare earth magnets, but they would be too strong I think.
Polyethelene drop cloth, is that the stuff painters use???

As for magnets, check this place out.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=11

I've got some magnets from work, but they will lift 400 pounds on a steel block. Got a finger caught in them once, it didn't stop bleeding for 8 hours. They mean business when they have warnings on their higher powered magnets.

That said, keep those magnets away from little kids. If a little one swallows two of those magnets, its a trip to the emergency room for emergency surgery.

DennyV
Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #33
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I think most guys building with manets use these kind .http://www.magnetsource.com/airfieldmodels/ They sell a metal board kit here http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/b04.htm
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #34
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Wow, anything that would lift 400lbs. would make for a very flat wing! LOL. Thanks for the magnet leads guys. And yes, painters drop cloth. totally transparent and as far as aircraft modeling glues are concerned almost as stick-resistant as teflon. Obviously you don't need anything thick, as you won't be standing on it.

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #35
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Wow, anything that would lift 400lbs. would make for a very flat wing! LOL. Thanks for the magnet leads guys. And yes, painters drop cloth. totally transparent and as far as aircraft modeling glues are concerned almost as stick-resistant as teflon. Obviously you don't need anything thick, as you won't be standing on it.
I save clear plastic off of alot of boxes for my building and with x-mass comming up i should be able to stock up . You can also use the plastic you seperate from your monicote or other plastic covering's to build on. joe
Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #36
dheaton

Plastic off of boxes? What kind of boxes do you get in the mail?

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I save clear plastic off of alot of boxes for my building and with x-mass comming up i should be able to stock up . You can also use the plastic you seperate from your monicote or other plastic covering's to build on. joe
Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #37
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

I solved the cluttered assembly area problem by making a removable top that sits on the table saw & it's rip fence arms. It is 27" x 45" - big enough for most of what I plan to make. The beauty of it is that in order to use the table saw (which I often do) the top has to come off, so there is no chance that it's going to get covered with stuff.

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #38
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Friends: (7)

My work bench is an old, wobbly kitchen table in the laundry room.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #39
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Plastic off of boxes? What kind of boxes do you get in the mail?
Off of all my kids toy boxes most of them big boxes. joe
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #40
dheaton

I have a folding table that I thought about putting something flat on to use as a work bench but I wanted to have something that I could stick t-pens in if needed. I thought I could use a hollow core door but that would be too hard. Any thoughts?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #41
dheaton

Hi Chellie
Do you put anything on your bench so you can use t-pins on it? If not, what do you do?

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I turned my Den into a hobby Room I made a square frame of 2x4s and screw it into the wall at the corner, , then I made 1 leg and screwed that into the frame, and a big hollow door on top of the 2x4s, works great, and if you need to remove it, just unscrew 5 drywall screws from the frame thats attached to the wall make sure the frame screws go into the wall studs

CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,634 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club

Awards Showcase

Friends: (276)

Hi Renegades here is what I did today, I needed a work bench, Sooooooo I made one from a 80"X 36" door and 2x4s now i can finish up on some of my projects

a

Old 12-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #42
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,983 Posts
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Hi Chellie
Do you put anything on your bench so you can use t-pins on it? If not, what do you do?
Hi I have a Building board that i bought from Hobby People, or you can use a big ceiling tile too.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #43
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

I have a folding table that I thought about putting something flat on to use as a work bench but I wanted to have something that I could stick t-pens in if needed. I thought I could use a hollow core door but that would be too hard. Any thoughts?
put a piece of 5/8" plywood on top of the folding table, that will save the table top, and use a ceiling tile on top of the wood for a pin board

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #44
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

If you need the room, screw some hinges on a wall and attach them to a hollow door, make or buy 2 legs to attach to the door. I made a hutch with a fold out table for a small room to build on when i was renting a few years ago. the legs screw into the table with some blind nuts that are built into the Table, the legs had some screws on them.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #45
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

[QUOTE=FlyWheel;892214]Wow, anything that would lift 400lbs. would make for a very flat wing! LOL.QUOTE]

Yeah, we used two of those magnets in a magnetic actuator that moved a 3/4 inch diameter shaft about one inch with about 500 pounds of force behind it. It moved that shaft in about 0.005 seconds. You do not want your fingers in the way of that thing.

(It's used inside a 38,000 volt three phase circuit breaker with 800 amp continuous, 16,000 amp interupping vacuum contacts.)

DennyV
Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #46
Murman
Dumb-Thumbin' since 2007

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

...I would love to hear and see what you all have done for storing your planes. I need to build some kind of rack or something. Love to see some ideas.
PVC pipe makes a wonderful storage rack. Very simple to construct and fairly inexpensive.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3277.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	164886
Old 12-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #47
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Murman View Post
PVC pipe makes a wonderful storage rack. Very simple to construct and fairly inexpensive.
I use to have only big planes but now that iam building smaller electrict planes i will have to build one like yours . joe
Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #48
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

murman,your rack is very neat! i have to many small planes hanging on the walls like pictures and on tables. they make my shop cluttered in a good way.

the wall i could best install a rack like your is where the corsair is waiting to be finnished[i think h*ll will freeze first]....time to take the tf corsair down and put it aside some where so i can hang all the parkjets and the other little birds in a nice row. thanks for posting it as it's my inspiration to organize these small birds.

this is the messy shop as it stands today...sheeeeeesh. i need a day to clean it out....just not today.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	164889

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	164890

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	164891

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	164892

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #49
vonveska

View vonveska's Gallery9
Friends: (1)

I have a question for all of you. What kind of work bench are you using to work/build your planes? I need one that I can use in my home and not get my wife mad at me for the mess. Suggestions?
I saw once this design of portable workbench - the size can be made to suit the space and material to suit the pocket money. The upper panel is the main working area, debris and dust are collected inside the box (holes along the sides in the upper panel are for dust to fall through). A vacuum cleaner hose or dust extractor can be attached from back side through the hole. If you are sanding something you can use bottom panel so that the dust is collected directly from inside the box.
The upper panel should be made from strong enough material not to sag or should be stiffened to prevent sagging.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bench_front_side.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	164895

Name:	bench_back_side.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	164896

Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #50
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
murman,your rack is very neat! i have to many small planes hanging on the walls like pictures and on tables. they make my shop cluttered in a good way.

the wall i could best install a rack like your is where the corsair is waiting to be finnished[i think h*ll will freeze first]....time to take the tf corsair down and put it aside some where so i can hang all the parkjets and the other little birds in a nice row. thanks for posting it as it's my inspiration to organize these small birds.

this is the messy shop as it stands today...sheeeeeesh. i need a day to clean it out....just not today.
You would have much more room if you cleaned her plastic tubs out of there. And dont say it was my idea ! BTW here is the small but strong shop vac i bought from home depo for 21 bucks .It works great and fits nice under my work benches . joe http://www.homedepot.com/buy/applian...ac-bh0100.html

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions