Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #301
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

update on the stinger,repaired the nose and installed the bungee hook in what should be a good location. also ordered a few 2200 25c 3cell zippies to replace my years old 2200 20c's that are still kicking out 6min flights on the slick. i'll hopefully will see some increase in performance in the planes that use these. the 2200's also fly the skimmer sailplane.

also bought a few more 1300 30c 3cells for the hkpkj with the 4850kv and can use them on my other small parkflyers. ordered from the USA warehouse,delivery should be thursday or friday next week...love the shipping from there as it was only $14 and arrives so quickly.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #302
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
update on the stinger,repaired the nose and installed the bungee hook in what should be a good location. also ordered a few 2200 25c 3cell zippies to replace my years old 2200 20c's that are still kicking out 6min flights on the slick. i'll hopefully will see some increase in performance in the planes that use these. the 2200's also fly the skimmer sailplane.

also bought a few more 1300 30c 3cells for the hkpkj with the 4850kv and can use them on my other small parkflyers. ordered from the USA warehouse,delivery should be thursday or friday next week...love the shipping from there as it was only $14 and arrives so quickly.
Wow, a 2200 seems awfully big for this airplane. I run 1600 and 1800 3S in mine and lighter is always better. Also you can shove the 1600 all the way forward without modifying the battery bay.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #303
heliflyer

Friends: (0)

My stinger flys lovely on 2200 overlanders. Balances perfectly.plenty of power and lands virtually power off.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #304
heliflyer

I have just taken delivery of another brand new Stinger. I had hoped to get one in red but the UK warehouse only had blue. Having said that,the blue does look really nice in the sky.Anyway,its still in the box waiting to be put together. I was hoping to maybe spray it with acrylic lacquer or something that might stop the colour lifting so easily. Any ideas?
The Habu is now taking shape,still havent posted any pictures of it yet,ut hopefully it will be back in the air soon.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #305
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez

I wonder if lacquer would make repair of the foam more difficult. I know the idea is not to have to make repairs but...

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #306
zerodrag

Don't make the stupid mistake I just made...after almost 100 crash-free flights (apart from the one on its maiden!) I managed to plow it into the ground at full throttle, snapping the fusealage in half and wasting a lipo pack. I had made the mistake of trying to launch it with the wind instead of into due to sun strike. The silly thing is that right at the time of launch as I was swinging my arm back I had a feeling inside that something was not right but I went for it anyway! So now after lots of glue and a little bit of patience it is back together but boy does it look like crap. Though the funny thing is it seems to now fly a hell of alot better.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #307
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Agreed

Ahh Zero
I feel your pain I made the exact same mistake on my maiden flight. For some reason it seemed logical to do it at the time WHOOPS never again. I agree my stinger flys so much better after busting her up a bit. I do miss how clean they look right out of the box.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #308
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

seems the stinger is destined for all new owner to maiden rough...lol. i am bummed my new batteriesdidn't arrive yet as a bungee launch will be the next launch.

the nose broke off my stinger but glued on so neatly you'd never know.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #309
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
seems the stinger is destined for all new owner to maiden rough...lol. i am bummed my new batteriesdidn't arrive yet as a bungee launch will be the next launch.

the nose broke off my stinger but glued on so neatly you'd never know.
Cant wait to read the results stuart
Would love to see some video of it. I have been having withdrawls lately and cant wait for this deployment to begin and end so I can get back on the field and fly the wings of the Stinger

Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #310
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

I.m sitting here in the middle of Hurricane Sandy at the moment so no flying for a few days. Hey Fishbonze I though you were already deployed? Doing any flying?

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #311
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
I.m sitting here in the middle of Hurricane Sandy at the moment so no flying for a few days. Hey Fishbonze I though you were already deployed? Doing any flying?
Well I am of sorts I had to attend some training before heading out and it ended a week early so I was able to come home for a bit. Now because of Sandy I can not leave until it all simmers down a bit. I have not been able to do much flying because everything is prepped for storage while I am gone. so I am forced to smile and enjoy everyone elses succcess I am taking my simulator with me in hopes that will calm some of my withdrawl symptoms

Old 10-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #312
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

TopSpin,

Best of luck on the storm. Looks like a doozy ! Maybe test a 3-axis gyro stabilizer? LOL Hope you guys on the East Coast pull through okay.

I'll be praying...

-Hawk
Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #313
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
TopSpin,

Best of luck on the storm. Looks like a doozy ! Maybe test a 3-axis gyro stabilizer? LOL Hope you guys on the East Coast pull through okay.

I'll be praying...

-Hawk
Agreed. Hold on tight and hang tough

Old 11-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #314
heliflyer

I hope everybody is ok after Sandy,i have been watching it over here in the UK,bad stuff.
I flew the Stinger again yesterday,got upto the field nice and early as the wind was forecast to get stronger throughout the day. Six flights again. Im launching under arm every launch now,find it a lot easier and gets away with no problems. I have also started doing a few basic aerobatics. First is the roll,very fast roll rate but looks really good,done a couple of loops,WOT,all the way round. First one i was a bit nervous but she was great,no dramas at all.
Then i tried a couple of stall turns,i did the first one really high and couldnt really see what was going on but she came round okay,next one a bit lower and she turned really well,opened her up as she came out of the turn and went straight back into the circuit
The only reason i keep having six flights is thats all the batteries i have at the moment,will be buying a few more in the coming weeks.
I have added a couple of pics of my Habu,i know its a Stinger thread but thought you might like to see them. The Habu was a real mess when she went in. I counted 14 pieces of foam.The nose was completely destroyed,made one with a piece of foam from my old V trainer.The whole back end of the fuse had snapped off,and the wings ripped off. I repaired the aileron that had caused the crash by putting a couple of new hinges in.
The tops of the ailerons,i have put some reinforced tape over the gaps and also taped the leading edges.As to the painting,i used Prymol on the fuse and wings to help the paint stick,a can of acrylic primer followed by acrylic gloss white top coat. The yellow was hand painted acrylic yellow from a model shop,the black was just emulsion. It looks ok from a distance but not that good close up.As long as she flys again i dont really mind. Hopefully she wil be ready to fly again within a couple of weeks.
My other stinger is still sitting in the box. I know if i put it together i will have to fly her,so in the mean time,i will keep flying the original one.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01915.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	163949   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01929(1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	163950  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #315
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i'm waiting on 9 new batteries from the hk usa warhouse,it's going on 2 weeks due to the storm here in nj. still to windy to fly anyway.plus i havn't had any desire to travel anywhere what with the long gas lines and not knowing where the power is still out or roads are closed.

my town is 3 sq miles and we had power 24hrs after the storm on our street.....folks on either side of us in this small town are still without power.makes me feel guilty.

i tried the stinger on very old 2200mah 20c 3cells and wish i'd used the bungee launcher. the new batts are 25c rating and i'm hoping that there new will produce better thrust/power for the stinger and 3dhs slick. the old batts still pack a good punch in my other planes. 3 of those 9 batteries are 1300mah 30c 3cells for the hk parkjet using a 4850kv tp motor that flew great....but with only 2 of those batts in the box i really can't wait for the delivery. normal delivery time from usa warehouse is only 1 week...they'er many real seriouse issues to deal with other than our hobby right now. like bagging cloths to donate for those who lost everything and it's getting colder by the day. plus a nor-easter is blowing through weds-thurs. man could we use some warm weather right now.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #316
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hmm
finally got internet access in this lonely part of the world and was surprised to see no new info on this thread must be winter time :-)

Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #317
heliflyer

I still fly in the winter,as long as its not raining and too windy, i will be out there
Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #318
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i hope this year is like last winter....warm,mostly snowless[except the october blizzard],and flyable.

after sandy we could use a warm,snowless winter.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #319
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Hmm
finally got internet access in this lonely part of the world and was surprised to see no new info on this thread must be winter time :-)
Hey Fish,

We miss you ! Hope all is well wherever your latest depolyment brings you. Can you fly where you're based or are you on a Black Ops mission ? Maybe they'll let you get you're hands on the Predator ! Heck, that's the ultimate in RC. Leave all your RC stuff behind?

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #320
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Hey Guys ... arrived in Qindao China ... and tried to find any RC .... first I need to find interpreter !! Hotel Reception just stared at me with a glazed look on faces ...

Trouble is now - not enough time as work starts ... so will be on way out before I get chance to find ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #321
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hey Fish,

We miss you ! Hope all is well wherever your latest depolyment brings you. Can you fly where you're based or are you on a Black Ops mission ? Maybe they'll let you get you're hands on the Predator ! Heck, that's the ultimate in RC. Leave all your RC stuff behind?

Cheers,

Hawk
I wish i could fly Hawk but cant to close to the flightline and its so busy here that buy the time I was able to get a rolling take off it would get run oiver I have my simulator its just a shame I cant find a Stinger to practice with on Real Flight

Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #322
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Hey Guys ... arrived in Qindao China ... and tried to find any RC .... first I need to find interpreter !! Hotel Reception just stared at me with a glazed look on faces ...

Trouble is now - not enough time as work starts ... so will be on way out before I get chance to find ...

Nigel
Thats just plane funny

Old 11-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #323
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

Nigel
Geez Nigel,

You're in the land of RC Heaven ! You should come home with a crate full of airplanes ! Be the Modern Day Marco Polo ! LOL

-Hawk
Old 11-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #324
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Geez Nigel,

You're in the land of RC Heaven ! You should come home with a crate full of airplanes ! Be the Modern Day Marco Polo ! LOL

-Hawk
If only !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #325
heliflyer

Little update on my stinger flying. I have been flying my original stinger nearly every week. Really feel i have got the hang of her now. My second Stinger has only been flown twice,so in as new condition.
I have decided to upgrade this one and have just purchased a Wicked 4000 plus motor and EDO type 1 fan from Dons rc.Just waiting for it to arrive.Im going to use the esc from my now deceased Habu. Its a E flite Pro switch mode 60A and just fits nicely into the Stinger. Im also going to use 2200 4s 25-50c batteries.
According to Don,it should break the 100mph barrier with ease.
I will post the results and some pictures when she is ready to go.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets