Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)
Default Opportunity to purchase some nice RC stuff

I flew with a couple of friends today, then we went over to the house of the father of a lady who works in our school. He is selling off his entire rc collection. I'm looking for some thoughts on what to offer, either as a lot or for certain pieces. Here is a list of his aircraft, radios and such.
Airplanes
Hangar 9 1/4 scale Cub with eflite 90 motor
Hangar 9 40 Cub
Eflite 25 Cub
Great Planes Big Stick
Sig Kadet 40
Hobbico Electristar Trainer with Futaba T4EXA TX
All planes come complete with motors, escs, and servos and are in great condition.

Radios
2 JR 9503 radios (I think they are 9503s).

Miscellaneous
Too many tools to name, but include 3rd hand solder station and solder iron, Zbend tool, really nice sets of allen wrenches and screwdrivers.

A handful of servos of various sizes, electric props, gas motors, a spare eflite 90 motor and esc.

3 airplane kits still in box. One is a biplane that looks like a Jungmeister, one is a sailplane, and the other is, um, something else that I can't remember.

A whole host of low end helis and tx's.

Many small aircraft accessories, a nice balance charger, and a pile of batteries.

This guy did it well. Sadly, his eyesight and health will not allow him to continue in this hobby. I would love to be able, with my two flying buddies, to buy this stuff. Any thoughts on what a fair starting offer would be for the lot?

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
subzJC
flyer

Friends: (0)

Did the gentleman give any idea about what he was thinking?
I would say start offer at 1k.
Sometimes its more important to a person to see their stuff
going to a good home where it will get used.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

The best thing to do is to ask what he wants for the lot, you might get a great price for everything.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

It may sound daft - but after reading that list - there is one item there I have been trying to get hold of for ages .....

a Z bender !

I'm fed up with my pliers created too large jobs ! SLEC in UK used to do a bend jig that was great ... but no longer. (edit: found some online .. ordered - paid - on way !)

About what to offer ... I agree with Chellie ... see what he wants .... its a great list ! The Jungmeister would be on my list !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)

Looks like he would have paid at least $3000 for the stuff new, probably worth half that for resale. A lot depends on the "newness" of high dollar items. No warranties.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
earthsciteach

I asked what he wanted up front and he said, "make an offer." My pricing of the list is spot on E-challenged's assessment.

I don't have the cash to give him a non-insulting offer for everything. I'm going to make an offer on one of the JR radios, one of the smaller Cubs, and yes Nigel, the z-bender! I was as excited to see that as anything!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
subzJC
flyer

Friends: (0)

Watt do your two flying friends think about the situation?
Originally you said you all were going in together to get the lot
and now you are only going for a couple of things for yourself.

Just curious.
Good luck
Old 12-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

teach,think of this purchase in a completely different light....the sellers eyesight is failing and so is his health.he's loosing the love of being in this awesome hobby.this is a sad story that ins't related to your purchase but i write about it for all fellow flyers to consider.

...i have seen a club member in my old club i no longer go to bring a widows RC planes [7]to sell forher that belonged to the deceased husband. several beautiful war birds in balsa ,gliders,motors glow feild box and misc tools, and a guy at the field bought the best stuff for pennies on the dollar[3 planes for a $125]and a whole box of stuff......the seller doing the widow a favor also took advantage of the booty available and the sale left me sick to see either of those 2 dudes.i think he got the widow $200....in my eyes they were scum from the on and i could only hope their use of those things resulted in failure.[my lord isn't smiling at me for saying that].

if you pay alittle more for the stuff you'll feel good for helping this guy who needs the money for sure.

guys,when you get the chance to buy from our ailing buds their planes,hardware,tools for this hobby the also loved and poured pride into and don't consider the blessings for helping the seller if he's hurting having to sell his stuff,your missing out on a perfect opportunity to help a fellow hobbyist out.

i know your in the ball park with the $ estimated...when you go to pay youl'll hit a home run with this guy and he'll be thrilled you bought his stuff. maybe work out a pay scheduale 1/2 now and what ever later!!!! you'll be blessed for you generosity.

tis the season to give with love,peace,joy.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
earthsciteach

Stuart,
That's exactly the way I look at it. I talked to him today and told him that I don't have the money to make a reasonable offer for everything. His response was, "How do you know?"

Call me crazy, but even if he was willing to accept a ridiculously small amount of money, I would not feel right about it. I don't want to take advantage of his misfortune. Even if he just wants it gone at this point, he would eventually regret selling it for nothing.

I don't have any spare money at this moment due to Christmas. My two friends are in the same boat. I told him that I could make him an offer on a few items after Christmas and he was open to that.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions