Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
touche

Friends: (1)
Default hyperion eoso606i

Hi,
I have the above charger for several years. Today I went to storage charge 2 batteries. The charger had been in my truck for a few days under the seat. We have had foggy morning but no cold.
I plugged the a/c side into the same plug I used to charge the batteries. It beeped to turn on, the LCD screen popped up as usual then I heard a pssst and a puff of smoke came out the vents. The screen went blank. I tried a different plug. Nada..I went to the truck and hooked up the DC clips. The screen came back up. I storaged the batteries.
So what have I blown on the AC side.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
TheWoodCrafter

Friends: (0)

If you can handle how slow that charger would be, you should continue to use it from D.C power.
I would trash it a get something a little more modern and more powerful.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Those type of chargers generally use something akin to a 5A laptop power supply on the A/C side. Probably you blew that. Just like a laptop PS, it can fry, especially since it's working in an enclosed box with extra heat buildup.
Open it up and look.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
touche

Friends: (1)

Hi Thanks,
I got a message back fro AlleRC and it is non repairable. Has a trade in value of 40%. I had already upgraded to a PS and I charger so I am not without. I know it was a 50W charger and today there are lots about. This will just be afield charger now.
Thanks

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers