Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
Slowjohn
You can bury me after I'm done flying

Club: Just Some Friends
Awards Showcase

1kW  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (30)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Nigel,

I know. Why would they have (2) 6v batteries instead of (1) 12v battery? 6 cylinders though. If I had it today, it would be worth a fortune. In the mid seventies, it was not easy to find all the Lucas electrical components either. I could not keep up with the maintenance. Then I got a Mercury Capri and guess what? Another Lucas alternator !

No wonder you've gotten ill. Going back and forth beteween the tropics and north pole will do it. -LOL Give my regards to Chavez, the commie !

Cheers,

- Hawk

Back in the early 80's I had a '57 MG-A that I wish I'd never sold/traded. Only got to drive it less than 5 miles the whole 2 years that I had it b/c I couldn't get the oil to stop pouring from the rear of the eng. block at the crankshaft. Had the eng. in the machine shop 3 times before I gave up & traded it off. Sure was a peppy little car to drive though

I was told that the reason for the (2) 6V batteries was to get more cranking amps.

Standing By,
SJ

Blue Skies, Calm Breezes & A Full Hanger
Makes Me A Very Happy Man
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #27
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Small world isn't it! Back in 1968 I had a 1960 MGA 1600 when I was at college in Bristol. One night while driving through the city centre the left hand of the two 6v batteries which were located at the rear in cradles either side of the prop shaft fell out and landed onto the road. As we spluttered to a halt we looked under the car to see a smashed battery leaking acid hanging by one cable.
Now the good bit of having two. We broke the remaining connection off the smashed battery and my pal reached down from the passenger seat and held the remaining end of the cable to the one remaining battery terminal and we managed to start the car on 6v and drive back to the student halls with the connection sparking away.
Needless to say I bought one large 12v battery to replace the two as the carrier no longer existed on the left side.
Happy days.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #28
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Nigel, make yourself some scale wheels! For my SE-5a scratch build, I used foam board, removed the paper and replaced it with wood venire. I then applied hot glue to the circumference of the wheels as tread. Used black sharpie to color the "tread" black. Worked great!
This has crossed my mind as I have laminate flooring that is about the right depth etc. Use of a hole-saw to get exact circles etc.
Door draught seal rubber to provide the 'tyre'.....

mmmmmmm I have decent size wheels coming - but I know they will be a bit wide for WW1 scale.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
Small world isn't it! Back in 1968 I had a 1960 MGA 1600 when I was at college in Bristol. One night while driving through the city centre the left hand of the two 6v batteries which were located at the rear in cradles either side of the prop shaft fell out and landed onto the road. As we spluttered to a halt we looked under the car to see a smashed battery leaking acid hanging by one cable.
Now the good bit of having two. We broke the remaining connection off the smashed battery and my pal reached down from the passenger seat and held the remaining end of the cable to the one remaining battery terminal and we managed to start the car on 6v and drive back to the student halls with the connection sparking away.
Needless to say I bought one large 12v battery to replace the two as the carrier no longer existed on the left side.
Happy days.
Memories !! Early 70's in Plymouth Maritime College - I had a Sunbeam Imp Sport with Coventry Climax engine etc. Better than any Mini Cooper !

Two real memories of that car ......

Out with the lads one evening in it - we approached traffic lights and stopped on the red. Green light came ... engine stopped.
We pushed it, jumper leads from another car ... tried everything but she wouldn't start ... After pushing her halfway home (about a mile) someone asked if there was any petrol in it !! Ummmmmmmm No ! Those were the days of college and no money for anything but a beer and a dance !

Second was the car chase across Plymouth. I had a girlfriend who failed to tell me her ex was in prison ! He was released and as far as he was concerned - he was no Ex. Court issued a decree that he was to stay away from her - but it didn't include me !
I picked her up one evening ... by now I knew about him and had an odd run-in now and again with him but things were sort of quiet ... so I thought.....as I say - i picked her up in the Sunbeam and we were going of into town when I noted a GT Cortina close behind following us .... she looked and her face turned pale ! Yep - he was right behind us.

Well a GT Cortina is no real match for a Sunbeam Imp and I soon was pulling away from him ... this was a real movie style screeching tyres chase ... no kidding.
We'd been cutting corners, cliiping roundabouts, jumping lights ... amazing no Police !! then she told me to swing left as her fathers house was near and she would bale out to there ... I swung a left straight into the road-works blocking half the road ! By time I was backed up and starting to move on again - he had come alongside and was jumping out of his car to get to me.
She exited stage left out of the car shouting at him. He gave me an almighty smack in the head which near knocked me out and ran of after her......

She was OK actually ... he talked to her ... she told him ******* and that was it. I had 'friends' talk to him and we all parted to go our own ways ...

Cars !! My race car - Ford Capri 2.0S converted by Manx Racing Developments and Competition Spares was the hook that got me married later !

Cheers
Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #30
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

Well a GT Cortina is no real match for a Sunbeam Imp and I soon was pulling away from him ... this was a real movie style screeching tyres chase ... no kidding.
We'd been cutting corners, cliiping roundabouts, jumping lights ... amazing no Police !! then she told me to swing left as her fathers house was near and she would bale out to there ... I swung a left straight into the road-works blocking half the road ! By time I was backed up and starting to move on again - he had come alongside and was jumping out of his car to get to me.
She exited stage left out of the car shouting at him. He gave me an almighty smack in the head which near knocked me out and ran of after her......

She was OK actually ... he talked to her ... she told him ******* and that was it. I had 'friends' talk to him and we all parted to go our own ways ...

Cars !! My race car - Ford Capri 2.0S converted by Manx Racing Developments and Competition Spares was the hook that got me married later !

Cheers
Nigel
If you had some of the cars we had in the early '70s, you would have just backed into him at 2mph, taken out his entire cooling, accessory, and belt system, and then slowly driven away.
Amazing how laws have changed also. I have a friend who somehow tossed his motorcycle helmet in frustration, when his ex girlfriend's mother wouldn't let him in to talk to her. It went through their window. He spent 2 years in jail, several more probation, and is now on mandatory psych meds 14 years later.

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
Happy days.
Very similar to what dad had, when I was young. I have photos of him driving it across a frozen lake, where we used to have a cottage. It never drove in my time, and was stored in the garage until age 4, when he gave it away. Story was he lost interest, after a barn roof fell in, where it had been stored for a winter. Apparently it did not fall directly on the car, but the water and snow damage caused him to lose interest. Little did he know that as I got older, I would become heavily involved in auto restoration. Same goes for a 65" 2 door Falcon, and a few other interesting cars that were given away, still running. I've now lost interest myself, but still have a basement full of parts and a running 1970 Fastback on the side of the house that's been off the road for 10 years. One of these days I'll get back on it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arado_Cessnawing_Comp_1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	164922  
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #31
Dereck
Super Contributor

Friends: (0)

Fascinating car stories indeed. Never could afford anything as fancy as a MGA, but I did have a Triumph Dolomite Sprint that could obscene things out in the country - if I could live with the racket from those quarterlights on the front door windows. My Triumph Vitesse ragtop was an early one with a straight six 1600, not the later 2000cc lump, but would still go to three figures. Cornering - well, they could have made the chassis stiffer, that might have stopped the passenger door opening if she hit a bump on a right hand bend at speed...

I think it was laying under a car with hot engine oil running down my arm that was the defining factor in cars going from a hobby to play with constantly to things to move model aircraft and bikes around. Driving in the US is no fun anyway. The nearest decent bend in a road is far too far from Chicago to make it any fun going there to drive around it. There's good reason huge, top heavy, overweight and ugly trucks are so popular in the US - there's only street corners to get around.

Dereck
Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #32
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

This is destroying the SE5 thread .... but here goes !

Apart from the race car I had and the 2.8i specials .... one of the best cars I had was the Carlton 3.0ltr 24V .... with the Diamond Pack - she had everything imaginable fitted.
Performance was blistering and with that straight 6 ... the power came from down low as well - no turbo to wait for etc. She would rocket of in whatever gear you wanted literally. No wonder the police used the 24V on the motorways etc. !
Divorce put paid to it eventually and my having to leave it standing so long while away.

Back to scratchbuilding .... WOW ... Wattflyer awards !

I really am surprised on being awarded for Scratchbuilding ... when I look at others works and my pitiful efforts - there are far better scratchbuilders than I ...

Many thanks to WF ...

Nigel

Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #33
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Took the SE5 out today ... little bit a breeze ... nothing too bad ...

Basically I've got fed up waiting to fly her !! She has bigger wheels now ...

WOW !! She took off like a gem ... took a lot of trimming - but once done - she flew great.

Talk about slow flight - she drops to walking pace and STILL flying ! She doesn't like to be opened up and try fly fast - she starts to porpoise a bit ... probably the foam spar wings doing that. Slow her down and she sweetens up lovely.

Video to be uploaded shortly once I finish editing ...

Nigel

Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The promised video ........... sorry about the white-out - the video camera kept blanking out due to the total white of snow !!

But this really was a cracking model once had her trimmed ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGTtH...ature=youtu.be

Not bad for a few pennies of foam !!

Nigel

Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #35
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Congratulations!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #36
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

What amazed me was how slow she was when I brough her in to land ... I swear I could walk faster ! She came in as you see in the vid straight .. level 3 pointer ... pity the camera angle and snow .... but take my word for it ... if the road had been clear - she would have rolled out.

The wing as photos show in the build ... is basically a flat plate bottom with a 6mm foam spar glued across ... then a top 3mm skin to form a curved aerofoil surface ... Creating a very thin but lifting wing ...

Very happy !

Nigel

Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #37
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I really love this model ....

Here she is flying again ... but it's obvious now that she needs nose weight ..

I've since this video added 50gr in the engine bay under the motor. that should tame her down ....

Nigel

Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #38
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

First time Hand Launching ....

Nigel

Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #39
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Flying at Ex Soviet Fighter base ... Cirava ...

Nigel

Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #40
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Still going well ......

Ventspils 07 Aug 2013

For a cheap thrown together job ... this is proving remarkably good ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft