Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #26
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by matiac View Post
I've been trying to find some thin balsa ply to skin it with, and if I can keep the overall weight down, I was thinking of doing a setup like the EFlite Albatross, i.e., a receiver brick, and just have elevator/rudder, and a small gearbox setup like the 'tross has, or maybe that setup with a bigger motor, I dunno, or maybe just a nice static model to go with the others...
"Skinning" i.e. inlaying with little fitted pieces of sheet balsa glued between stringers and formers will make the finished model look good but adds a lot of weight in glue and balsa. If you complete this as a display-only model (highly recommended), inlaying is good, use sandable aliphatic wood glue. For covering, use light weight silkspan and adhere covering with a glue stick or paint water thinned aliphatic glue to framework, let dry, and adhere it with a covering iron. Trying to discourage a first time Guillows conversion is often not worth it. You will learn things either way.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)

Inlay...hmm...didn't think of that method, I was just going to cut sheets to form, and just glue that over the frame, with maybe some colored plastic sheet for looks, but yeah, I do agree it's gonna be way too heavy to fly, so it'll go on the shelf with the other statics. Would be kool though...my Dad would certainly look down with a bit of pride that at least ONE of his kids followed in his steps...
Also occurs to me that one option (not that I'm going to) is a Cox .049 glow motor, but I believe that setup is for a tether line flying arrangement with no control surfaces...kinda like the Cox P51 I used to have, and if memory serves that plane had elevator...

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #28
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Interesting to read some comments ...

Me - I reckon I'm gonna look through the kits available on line ... the Hurricane is still there waiting for a click to buy !!

As to build method - where possible - I would substitute foam formers etc. to hard balsa ... it may not show weight difference individual formers on a scale - but add them all up and I'm sure it will.

Use of suitable foam could mean a large part of the airframe could be made replacing the balsa ....

Use of foam edge on is surprisngly strong as my wing spars show in my large SE5.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #29
E-Challenged

Beginning builders/flyers get all glassy-eyed looking at Guillows kit box art and think that converting one to electric RC will be cheap and easy and that model will fly well. They can be converted and fly well if you have done it a number of times and developed the skills to choose the light enough power and RC gear, mount things to minimize tail heaviness/need for nose weight, and have developed the quick reflexes to get you through the maiden flight without re-kitting. It is far better to choose a larger model designed for electric powered RC, follow the recommendations for motor and battery to use, and build it light and straight for better chance of sucess.
See "Pat's Custom Models" website for examples, building tips, and links to detailed build threads on RCG Scale electric plane forum.

There is also a "sticky" on the RCG Scale Electric Plane forum with links to hundreds of Guillows and other rubber kit conversions
Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #30
Capt.RJM

Friends: (0)

There are a ton of kit's that make for rubber to R/C conversions, below is a .jpg of my latest addition to the fleet. While they take more time to build up and think out the linkage set up than the standard PNP kit. The fumes from the dope need to be vented or you get complaints at home. They also take up alot less room than the standard kit. If a mistake is made, no biggie, just cut it out and start again When you show up at the next meet, your the only one flying one like it. This one uses the motor and electronics from the micro P-51 and flys like a champ. Just pay attention to the balance points on the blue prints and have fun.
Capt.RJM
Sandusky,Ohio

Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #31
E-Challenged

PS: Note that Capt RJM used an ultra light RC and power system as well as very light building and covering techniues, he's no beginner. Sig 29'er is good as a fun rubber powered indoor free-flight model. Grandson and I built a pair and had a lot of fun flying them indoors.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #32
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Crap! I ordered a whole bunch of rubber-powered models from HobbyKing for Xmas presents, and forgot to get an extra one for this project.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions