Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
Pks4life420

Friends: (0)
Arrow Is this the right plane for me?

Hi there, I'm new to the rc airplane hobby and new to the forum, I've been looking and reading for about a month and decided to join... Well of course I'm a newbie and most ppl will just shake thier heads and at some questions I'll be asking but hey we all have to start somewhere, Anyway I've been looking and looking and looking for a good beginner plane but I wanted something that I would grow with my skill level so I decided to get a 4ch BlitzRcWorks star trainer it's going for about $240 here's the link to it: (FYI it's mobile link cause my only way to access the internet)

http://www.bananahobby.com/star-trai...leMobileView=1

Just wondering if this is a good price? Will it fly ok? Have you flown this or anyone you know? Is it even worth the price and any other info would be nice.. Pros and cons?...... I'll paste the description for those who cant get the link... Thanks for any help.

4 Channel Full Function Radio Controlled (Aileron,Elevator,Rudder,Throttle)
New 2.4GHz spectrum technology, with the functions of automatic identification and precise code pairing, strong anti-jamming, and allow more than 20 aircrafts to fly at the same field at same time
High quality, excellent stability, high performance, and aerobatic capability
Super easy to assemble/disassemble(no glue required), change battery, and maintenances
Four different flying configurations(High-Wing, Low-Wing, Tricycle, Taildragger)
Super easy to switch from one configuration to the others
Huge front wheels for fun and cruising/take-off/landing on grass and uneven surfaces
Included two types of wing configuration(High-Wing or Low-Wing) for two different flying experiences which suitable for both beginner and experienced pilots!
Included two types of landing gear(Tricycle or Taildragger) for two different landing & cruising experiences which suitable for both beginner and experienced pilots!
Accessories and parts for all 4 configurations(High-Wing, Low-Wing, Tricycle, Taildragger) are included
Detachable wing for easy transport
Constructed of EPO Flex Foam for Excellent Impact Resistance!
Approximately 15 minutes flight time on each charge -- Optional Li- poly battery will help to achieve better performance and longer flight time
Complete Kit, Ready to Fly, Easy to Assemble
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Looks good on paper....but.
1. With a newbie a the controls it'll be rubble in just a few minutes if not seconds. A low wing 4-channel is definitely NOT the way to start out. Too fast, too nimble, too difficult for a trainer. If you have an experienced pilot that can buddy box you > have at it.

2. It's banana hobby. They have a terrible customer service reputation.
FWIW almost ALL their planes sound like they are as durable as a hog's snout, as easy to fly as a dream, and as nimble as an acrobat. In other words, lies, lies lies....

3. Figure your first plane and most (if not all) of it's electrics will be disposable. Concentrate on durability, parts availability, support from the RC community (get a plane EVERYONE else is using), and support from the manufacturer. Your choice has none of the above. Nice looking plane, just not suited to your real purpose.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Pks4life420

It says you can change if from a high wing to low wing real easy and all the piece come with it... Any suggestions where I should get a plane from with the opportunity to upgrade it when my skill goes up? Preferably something around the same price.. There are no local shops in my area.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #4
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Do you intend to go it alone?
I strongly recommend you do not.

Read this to start...yeah, read it all.
If I knew what you know now (or how I should learn to stop worrying and love 3ch)
There are LOTS of threads like this.

The number of newbies that want to start off with planes way over their head are legion. They are almost always seriously disappointed.
Ultimately your $$. You can use them anyway you want.

fly
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

View Crash Test Dummy's Gallery15
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (4)

Take a look at the Easy Star, made by Multiplex. It is a great beginners plane. The prop is mounted high in a pusher set up. With this setup if U dork it in U don't get broken props and gluing motors back on with incorrect thrust alignment. I have trained many pilots using the East Star as a trainer. It's nice and big too but she floats like a dream. There are threads here on the easy star.

CTD
Old 12-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I honestly, strongly reccomend a flight sim and a slow stick for your first plane.

Slow stick is cheap, easy to repair/modify, and will really get you to the point your flying. Plus many replacement parts/mods and upgrades can be had at almost any hobby shop.

A good seconds plane if you like balsa, is the alpha 450 sport. I have seen many luke warm reveiws for it, but it is a fantasic second plane, and tough as can be. Its just your generic 450 class trainer, that will really get you used to aleroins.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

PKS,

Looks fine to me. A lot of configuration possiblities. I like it. If you can go with the high wing version, I'd start there first. Take advantage of the lift in this configuration. If you're flying off a grassy or bumpy field , I'd strongly think about the tail-dragger option as well. Not only is a good ground taxing easier off grass with a tail-dragger(not in full scale), landing on the mains is also a lot easier than with trikes. More prop clearance and stabilty on grass fields. Probably say goodbye to those nice wheel pants. They'll break off. Hey, you'll find out that it not a beauty contest out there.

My first plane was the HZ Super Cub (3 axis), well not really. I bought an Airfield Cessna 182 first but it was a real beast so I put it down for a while. I rapidly advanced to the PZ-T-28. Great second or third plane. Still have the Cub and have since modded her out to the hilt. BL, 2.4, alierons, etc. Take her to float flys. If you stick with it , your learning curve will advance exponentially. Which Spectrum radio did it come with? I'm a Futaba guy but that's interesting that they would include a Spectrum tx/rx combo in an RTF. They usually come with some ultra cheapo throw away radio set-up. You'll be looking for a decent lipo charger soon. First decide on a connector type( EC3, Deans, XT-60) to standardize on. Then get the best balance charger you can afford. I got the Icharger 206B w/350W Power Supply but there are several other good ones out there. The cheapo's that come with RTF's are basically 1.5 amp 115v like your cell phone charger. Get's the job done but takes forever.
BH takes alot of bashing but I've bought 3 planes form them, albeit low risk 50mm edf's. and a JPowers AT-6 mini. All three purchases went great with delivery in about 3 days. Eat that, Hobby King ! Did have once instance where I needed to replace an esc and their service was actually quite good. I had very low expectations after reading all the negatives and was pleasantly surprised. What makes things happen is when you post complaints on their facebook page.

+1 on a sim. A good to have if not a must have.
+1 on joining a club or having a an experienced RC pilot buddy box on a club trainer. I received some stick time on a Multiplex Easystar gasser with our club trainer. At the time, I didn't know what I was flying. Was just flying.

Nevertheless, welcome to wattflyer ! A plethera of information here and many true experts willing to help. In the last two years since returning to the hobby after a 30 year absence, I've learned a great deal and I don't think a day goes by when I haven't learned something new.

I'd highly recommend reading Ed Anderson's(AEAJR) manifesto on electric flight. Should be a must read:http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368

Most of all, have fun !

-Hawk
Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The other thing to consider is, what do you think your chances are of not breaking anything on that plane? Browse BH's site for a spare prop, cowl, wing, fuselage, etc. I haven't looked so it might be a surprise, but more than likely, they aren't available, or if they are now and that plane's new, they won't be for long and then what?

Browse the beginner forums and you'll see the popular ones: Slowstick, Hobbyzone SuperCub, Apprentice, Easystar, Stratos. There's another one out there that sounds like a newcomer challenging the HZ SuperCub but I forget it's name right at the moment.

Anyways, there's a reason these are popular trainers, and many of us on the forum (Well I haven't, anyone else) never heard of that plane you linked. Maybe it'll turn out to be great, but BH will have to have done a 180 in their customer service first, so you'll have to forgive me for being sceptical.

So you can try something tried and true, or be a guinea pig... Ultimately your decision. There are quite a few to choose from depending on your available funds, any prior experience like a lot of flight-sim time, whether you'll have an instructor on a buddy box, a big or small field to fly from, etc. Choose a trainer for it's capabilities. After you've learned and your planes have a fighting chance to survive, then pick the pretty ones. Don't destroy the pretty one first time out.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
PKS,
interesting that they would include a Spectrum tx/rx combo in an RTF. They usually come with some ultra cheapo throw away radio set-up.
-Hawk
Notice the small 's' in spektrum. It will not be SPEKTRUM (brand name) it will be a 2.4GHz cheapo throwaway.
Typical BH marketing BS.

The rest of your post was spot on. Just about anything by Ed Anderson is worth reading.

fly
Old 12-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Pks4life420 View Post
Hi there, I'm new to the rc airplane hobby and new to the forum, I've been looking and reading for about a month and decided to join... Well of course I'm a newbie and most ppl will just shake thier heads and at some questions I'll be asking but hey we all have to start somewhere, Anyway I've been looking and looking and looking for a good beginner plane but I wanted something that I would grow with my skill level so I decided to get a 4ch BlitzRcWorks star trainer it's going for about $240 here's the link to it: (FYI it's mobile link cause my only way to access the internet)

http://www.bananahobby.com/star-trai...leMobileView=1

Just wondering if this is a good price? Will it fly ok? Have you flown this or anyone you know? Is it even worth the price and any other info would be nice.. Pros and cons?...... I'll paste the description for those who cant get the link... Thanks for any help.
Just my two cents worth. You might want to consider picking up a name brand radio. A lot of good ones are available, Spektrum, JR, Futaba, Hitec and so on. I happen to like the Spektrum radios, and have the Spektrum DX7 and DX8 transmitters, plus 8 or 9 of their receivers. Spektrum now has available a genuine Spektrum 4 channel receiver that will get you going for $30.00.

As for the models, follow the advice of others in this thread. And, if at all possible, try to locate an RC club in your location that can help during the learning process. I can just about guarantee that your model won't last more than a few minutes if you try it alone, and have a reasonably fast, acrobatic model.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
Take a look at the Easy Star, made by Multiplex. It is a great beginners plane. The prop is mounted high in a pusher set up. With this setup if U dork it in U don't get broken props and gluing motors back on with incorrect thrust alignment. I have trained many pilots using the East Star as a trainer. It's nice and big too but she floats like a dream. There are threads here on the easy star.

CTD

+2 the Easystar or SS will be a very good trainer, the plane shown is a good 2nd or 3 rd plane, after you have mastered quick eye /hand control on the sticks.

put this plane on the shelf for a little while, its way to much plane for a beginner.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

If you live in an area with light winds, the Champ is almost impossible to beat for a first plane.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

If you want to get good at rc real fast, get a profile foam plane and throw it around, dont worry about crashing it they are cheap and easy to repair with 5 min epoxy, it will be a disposable trainer, but you will get good at flying real fast with a profile Foam Plane,

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...hoi-p-535.html

Grayson Hobby is proud to announce the release of our 3D EPP Sukhoi Trainer. Constructed of 9mm LASER CUT EPP foam. This new 3D plane can take the abuse no other plane can! Designed using notch construction, not only simplifies a quick and straight build but creates extra strength while maintaining flexible.
Ready to fly weight (AUW) with battery is around 8.5 oz which makes this plane slow down to a crawl. This is capable of all the 3D moves you can throw at it and virtually hovers itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xFQMZTOP0Ug

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
earthsciteach

I do really enjoy seeing the replies when someone asks about a particular model as their first plane. There are quite a few "first loves" that are consistently recommended and those have been mentioned already. Here is my short list of good options for a first plane:

1. Hobbyzone Super Cub! I taught myself to fly RC on this plane with no previous rc flight experience. Although, I had spent countless hours playing with non-rc flight sims and have a few hours in full scale planes. I still think anyone that has a basic understanding of flight and aircraft control will be able to teach themselves to fly with this plane. Like daHawk, I still have that plane and have modded it to the hilt! It is fast and fun, yet still retains the docile characteristics of its original configuration.

Pros: stable, forgiving, easily repaired, ample parts available, great customer service (although I've seen some posts saying otherwise, lately).

Cons: Expensive (at least in my opinion). I've also seen complaints about the DX5i transmitter, but don't recall the specifics.

2. Sky Surfer(Banana Hobby)/Bixler(Hobby King)/Wing Surfer(Nitroplanes). They are all the same airplane marketed under different names. It is essentially the same thing as a Multiplex Easy Star, but far less expensive. The RTF version is about $120. I've seen the RTF Easy Star listed at $245. Since it is sold under so many different names, parts are pretty easy to find. There are different versions (V2, V4, etc) but the differences are minor.

Pros: inexpensive, easy to fly, FUN!, parts are available.

Cons: Don't hang your hopes on customer service. Although, anything that goes wrong in this plane can be replaced fairly inexpensively.

As was stated earlier, you may want to consider buying a computer radio instead of the cheap one that comes with RTFs. There is a big difference! I've flown the very same airplane on both the cheap radio it came with and my computer radio, back to back. Those cheap radios are squirrelly!

My recommendation for a good, inexpensive computer radio (putting on my flak jacket) is the Turnigy 9x by HK or Fly Sky 9x sold by others. Same radio, different name. These are 8 channel, programmable TXs. They claim 9, but that's only on a technicality. The Turnigy sells for $54 and is a solid radio based on my experience. I know you will see a lot to the contrary, but I am very happy with mine and know many others who feel the same way. These radios are perfectly suited for park flyer airplanes. And, if you want to move up to more expensive and larger aircraft, for about $50 you can swap out the stock module for the FrSky module and RX. This provides a rock solid, reliable link based on reports and has telemetry.

Pros: inexpensive, upgradeable to FrSky (which some claim to be on par with the TXs costing 10x or more the price), open source firmware which improves the capability of an already good radio. Rxs are VERY inexpensive compared to Spektrum, JR, Futaba.

Cons: Don't hang your hopes on customer service.

The biggest concern I have regarding the model you posted is that it is new to the market. And, as was said above, BH tends to "overstate" the capabilities of their planes. Or, as someone else put it, "lies, lies, lies..."

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 12-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

+1 on Grayson ! One of my favorite online shops. That Sukkoi looks like a trainer you could grow into depending on all the ways you could set it up.
+1 on HeadsUpRC- You cannot go wrong
+1 on Value Hobby

Earth makes a good point on the tx. I have not really heard any bad things about the Turnigy/Fly Sky 9x. Large user community and has all the computer mixing capabilities that the big boys provide. If I had known about it before I got started, I might have gone that route. But my boss handed me a 6EX one day.Like Earth mentioned, I'd get the base 2.4 radio you can grow with then you can buys ARF's, scratchbuild, whatever. Some still swear by the 72's but if you join a club, chances are they want everyone on 2.4

Certain things you'll want to standardize on, like connectors. If you end buying planes or lipos from HK, they will almost always supply their XT-60, which IMO is a really good connector. Horizon, who owns, e-flight, Hangar 9, ParkZone, etc. mainly supply EC3 and then there's the ubiquitous Deans connector. You can get connector adaptors for all of them or can solder on your own.

Sounded like you already bought the BH model and were now having second thoughts. If so, don't worry about it. Do what an old flight instructor screamed in my ear one day: " Fly the plane ! " The high wing / tail dragger version looked similar in scope to the HZ Super Cub. 55" WS ? The price didn't look too bad but again, I would not have gone with their throw away Tx knowing what I know now , though my HZSC came with a cheapie 27ghz TX.

Hey, you have already been given great advice from some of the All-star Hall of fame contributors here on WF(myself not included).

I hope you enjoy this hobby. Sure beats a 5 hour round of golf !

Happy Holidays !

Hawk
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
earthsciteach

After watching the video, it does look like a nice flying plane. But, Pete can make anything look like a nice flying plane. He is a talented flier!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
Yakfishingfool

Friends: (1)

Quite honestly you can't go wrong with the champ. Indoors or light air outside and you will be flying in no time. A decent transmitter comes with it. It's under 100 bones and it does fly well. I really believe the baby steps first in this hobby. I started on the champ and am all self taught. Parts are easily replaced. most hobby stores carry spare parts. you can sell it when you out grow it. I really went with it because there is a baseball field 1500 feet away and if I was going to fly I wanted instant access to a field. Fits on that field well and flies great. And little money. Win Win WIN!!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

240 bucks!!! You could probably find and buy 3 planes for that and have 3x's the amount of learning experiences on smaller "user-friendly" high wing trainers. just my nickel..

and yeah BH leads the way in Worlds Worst of everything service....

...and the amount of people that have learned to fly on either the champ or cub type plane have to be in the millions by now
best of flying to ya

cr
Old 12-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

It says you can change if from a high wing to low wing real easy and all the piece come with it... Any suggestions where I should get a plane from with the opportunity to upgrade it when my skill goes up? Preferably something around the same price.. There are no local shops in my area.
Hey, one of us 'experts' (I use the term loosely! ) finally read your response!

You asked for a suggestion where to buy from! Well, Horizon Hobby has legendary customer service. And if you have $240 for that Red Star trainer (Pretty funny name, considering where it's made! Yes, they're almost all made there now...), they have some good options depending on your circumstances.

If you have a big field, someone to train you, and can afford a little more, there's the RTF Apprentice.

A smaller field, or maybe on your own and maybe you have some simulator time or not, the RTF SuperCub. Less expensive than the Red Star at $200. There's also the RTF Champ and the Mini SuperCub, both at under $100, but they are more limited by wind than the standard SuperCub.

Then there's their newcomer, the Firebird Stratos RTF. Only $130, and I think able to withstand more punishment than a SuperCub, as it was designed that way.

I believe every one of the choices above comes with everything you need to fly in the box, including the battery charger, and they're less expensive than the Red Star. (Well, except the Apprentice)

I finally got around to watching some of Banana Pete's video on the Red Star, so just a couple more thoughts on it. It's neat that it can be converted from low to high wing, and trike to taildragger. That's like getting 4 planes in one, really! I would imagine, though, that this adds some extra weight, and makes some compromises. (Just my opinion, haven't seen it in person. Maybe they've done it well, and these modern foamies usually have such a light wing loading, it probably wouldn't make a huge difference anyways.) Also, that plane is in the size category as the Apprentice, and only flies on a 3s/2200mAh battery. The Apprentice flies on a 3s/3300mAh battery. Don't know how much battery jargon you know yet, but basically it means it has a much bigger 'gas tank'. I wonder how much flight time that Red Star can get? When you're training, more flight time is better. Also, have you clicked on the parts tab for the Red Star? I did, and only one item showed up, a spare battery. So as I mentioned earlier, what will you do when something breaks? (If you're totally new, unless you are a total natural at it, it's not going to be a question of if, but when.)

Another thing to note. 5 minutes into the video, even Banana Pete says 'once you've had some flying experience, this is something you could jump right into..'

So, Pks4life, just my 2 cents, well maybe 25 cents? Please don't be scared off from us all jumping on this subject. We all just want you to be able to get into the hobby successfully without the heartache of destroying that nice plane you were looking at. There are surely other good options out there but I already wrote a novel, and Horizon is the one I'm familiar with. I'll let someone else write one!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Oh, and 2 more cents! All those Horizon planes I linked above? If you were to decide this isn't for you, and the plane isn't just a pile of foam, you could sell it EASILY on a place like the RCGroups.com classifieds. They never last there! Just save the box.

But the whole idea for you really is to be successful and NOT have to sell it!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
Pks4life420

I've looked for local clubs in my area but can't seem to find any... As for a place to fly I have more than enough room and I don't know anyone around here that is I'm the hobby either.. I have a few different rc programs on my computer and I've probably put in over 40hrs of flying but I dont have an rx to fly with just the keyboard.. Any difference there? Also they plane had already been bought for me as a present from my gf but I think I should get something a little cheaper to get used to b4 I jump into this plane... Any good threads you know of about stabilizing a plane b4 take off and anything else a newbie like me should know.. I've viewed most of the sticky threads but if there are treasures of info on this sure to be found please lmk . . . I'm open to almost anything so any upgrades I should buy right away or whatever.. Thank you guys so much got your time
Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Have you tried looking for a club here?

AMA Club Finder
Old 12-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #23
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

There are Free PC sims and cables you can buy where you can plug in your TX to the USB port. Not sure exactly what you have for the TX and it may not work with what you have. You can also look on Ebay for a used Phoenix or Real Flight sim. These will only get you so far but won't replicate the real conditions on the day you solo. Nice to have that coach with you the first couple of times. Remember: "Fly the Plane !" Keep telling yourself that. Don't let the plane fly you.

Make sure you run through a preflight checklist. Control surface all moving in the correct directions? Move right stick left. left aileron raises up. Pull right stick back, elevator raises up, etc. Prop on correctly? etc. For the first time, just mainly focus on the right stick. Use the left stickfor throttle but forget trying to make coordinated turns with the rudder for now. Just use the rudder for ground taxi to position your plane on the runway. Radio on first then plug in lipo? Am I into the wind? Just get in the routine. It's easy to overlook what might appear to be a trivial little thing only to smack yourself in the side of the head later for forgetting that you attempted taking off with the wrong model programmed on the radio. Don't need to yank the sticks around like a video game. Smooth movements. Take off will occur in less than 20 feet on your plane. Try not to overact once it's airborne. Again, think smoothe.

If you'd rather try something else out first, take Chellie's advice on the Sukkoi or look on ebay or craigslist for a cheap used trainer. Amazing what you can find out there.

Hang in there !

-Hawk
Old 12-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #24
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

I dont have an rx to fly with just the keyboard.. Any difference there? Also they plane had already been bought for me as a present from my gf but I think I should get something a little cheaper to get used to b4 I jump into this plane...
I tried a keyboard to start....pretty much close to worthless in terms of learning to use a real transmitter. IMO you have about 4 hours worth of value out of 40 hours of practice.
A SIM is VERY useful, especially if you HAVE to go it alone. The better the SIM, the more realistic the practice but none of them are REAL flying. They do help with muscle memory and orientation a lot though.

If you already have the plane and you want to keep it intact, don't use it for now. Get one of the myriad of cheap trainers suggested. You'll know within 30 seconds to 5 minutes why.

As stated, that's not a trainer, it's maybe OK for a 2nd plane if you are talented or a 3rd if you are not. You'll figure that out pretty quickly and no one on the net can second guess that from here. I've seen people that could almost be OK in 20 minutes of flying, and some not much worth a darn after 6 months. It's a pretty wide spread and until the TX is in your hands and the plane is in the air there is no real good way of knowing.

fly
Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #25
hoghead5150

Friends: (2)

the ares gamma 370 is a great starter plane. high wing to start, 3 channel, and easy to fly. after you get the hang of it, you can get an extra wing with ailerons and go 4 channel. it's cheap, easy to fly, spare parts are carried by hobbytownusa. it's small enough for park flying, yet big enough to see at a distance.

http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/-Ares-Gamma-370-RTF/

one of the biggest things with planes is to check everything, then check everything again. center of gravity needs to be spot on, make sure you check all of your flight control surfaces EVERY flight. you wanna make sure they move, AND move in the RIGHT direction. with a surface rc vehicle if you have a problem you just stop and fix it, with a plane if there is a problem, you better have a trash bag to put the parts in!!

post up where you live and people may be able to help you find a local flying club or group!!!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners