Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default Question about Micro balloons vs any other filler?

I just bought some but I've never used it before. I have some very small imperfections to fill in the process of a repair/rebuild. I also have some of the ultralite filler used for patching nail holes and such in walls. Will the latter work as well? Seems like it would be much easier to work with. No mixing with anything--just apply, let it dry and sand smooth.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

The normal ultralite filler is just the thing for small imperfections.Dries fast and sands easy.Microballoons + epoxy(or whatever you fancy)are more commonly used for larger areas,such as wing fairings.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers
Friends: (0)

If you use the micro balloons (I use them and like the results a great deal) you do need to do three things. Use a slow epoxy , at least 30 minute or slower. Mix the epoxy well before adding the micro balloons. Now add and mix in micro balloons until the mixture is about as thick as heavy peanut butter so that it will not run when you put it on the model. The cured mixture is quite easy to sand, much easier than just epoxy would be.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Ditto that

The microballoons are great for large areas because they
are light weight.

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

+2 micro balloon and Epoxy works great, i even use lite weight spackle and epoxy

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
I just bought some but I've never used it before. I have some very small imperfections to fill in the process of a repair/rebuild. I also have some of the ultralite filler used for patching nail holes and such in walls. Will the latter work as well? Seems like it would be much easier to work with. No mixing with anything--just apply, let it dry and sand smooth.
Depends what you are trying to fix.

Light filler is great on wood and styrofoam. goes on quick and dries fast. But my experience is it does not work well with plastics or very flexy foams as it cracks. It has no real structural value. The beauty is that it is light and sands easily to a nice surface for paint or other finishes.

Epoxy with microballoons is much heavier but it is more structural, will flex with the surface and does have structural value. It can span small gaps and you can even mold it into shapes. Mix in some shreaded fiberglass and you add more strength.

Epoxy/microballoons is easy to sand and holds a surface well. And if you are working with wood that is cracked and has some small gaps it will fill them and add some structural strength which the filler won't.

As for the speed of the epoxy, well that depends on how long you need it to stay as a working mix. Most of the time I am going for a quick patch of a small area, so I will use 6 minute epoxy. But if I was working with a large or complex area I would use a longer set epoxy.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

For filling dents and small imperfections just make sure whatever you use is not harder to sand than the surrounding surface. It's very difficult to sand a hard filler flush with a softer surface.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
E-Challenged

Don't use CYA and microballons for a quick fix, hard to sand smooth.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

are these wing imperfections? If it is a foam wing or a foam core wing use heat, not filler.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club

No, it's balsa. I haven't done much yet as have been under the weather a bit plus trying to help my wife get the house ready for family coming for Christmas. Someone mentioned using wood glue with micro balloons. Does that work well?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions