Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace
 
mattman0182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 307
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default what is theBest warbird parkflyer for a rookie

Hello, the only current plane I have is a Horizon Champ. I want to move onto a park size or smaller warbird. I know it is a pretty big jump but I have faith in myself. The Champ is cool, but a plane with no alerons gets boring after a while.
It is also in need of a total rebuild. (Thats what I get for letting GF and Best friend fly it.) Instead of ordering all new parts, I wanted to move on to a new plane. (I will still eventually rebuild the Champ).

I am obsessed with WWII aircraft, mainly those of the Luftwaffe. Especially the BF109.
From what I read, the German aircraft are generally not friendly to beginners as fresh as I lol.

I have almost made the decision to purchase the Airfield 800mm Zero from Nitroplanes. From what I read it seems as though this would be a good start. Thoughts?
mattman0182 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome
 
DetroitHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,160
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

you will crash, it will break, and then be hard to fix.

i started with a stryker because the whole body is $26 and on top of that it was very easy to repair. I got 3 years of experience in about a month. lol I went to a warbird after two months: the FW190 and i still have this plane.

If you "faith" in going right to a warbird then go ahead and buy two; the first one will quickly become a "parts" plane.

4-27-2006 Stryker B
6-05-2006 PKZ FW190 Brushless
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
3-28-2007 PKZ Spitfire Brushless
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
DetroitHawk is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,700
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 254 Times in 252 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Some of those 800mm warbirds have been challenging to set up properly and fly for experienced RC pilots. I would think you'd have better luck with perhaps the PZ Wildcat. Something a little bigger. Those 800mm guys are fast and squirrely.
xmech2k is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace
 
mattman0182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 307
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

This is the Zero I was looking at.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a305-80...n-rtf-24g.html

I figured It would be a good introduction to ailerons because Zero's generally have a stable air frame.

I googled that Stryker you have. It is a really cool looking plane. It is about 30 bucks more than the Zero though. But I may well go with the Stryker. Once I learn the ailerons, I could go right to this maybe:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy895...9-rtf-24g.html
or this
http://www.bananahobby.com/camo-mini...5609-prd1.html

Also, I am not trying to be stubborn by saying this, but what about the Zero would be hard to repair? I know the parts are more expensive which is a downer, but are there also problems with this supplier not having parts?

At this moment, I have the financial ability to which I could buy about 2 planes a year. So I will do a lot of thinking before purchase. It would be great to be able to fly a scale model of my beloved 109, but baby steps would stop me from crashing it if I were to get it too soon lol.

I really appreciate all the advice.
mattman0182 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace
 
mattman0182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 307
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Some of those 800mm warbirds have been challenging to set up properly and fly for experienced RC pilots. I would think you'd have better luck with perhaps the PZ Wildcat. Something a little bigger. Those 800mm guys are fast and squirrely.
Thanks for that advice! What is the minimum size you would go with?

I have a couple parks and baseball fields around me. But no R/C airfields.


The little Champ was squirrely when I first learned to fly lol. With ailerons I could see how it would be even worse lol.
mattman0182 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 8,066
Thanked 698 Times in 680 Posts
Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (20)
Default

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
This is the Zero I was looking at.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a305-80...n-rtf-24g.html

I figured It would be a good introduction to ailerons because Zero's generally have a stable air frame.

I googled that Stryker you have. It is a really cool looking plane. It is about 30 bucks more than the Zero though. But I may well go with the Stryker. Once I learn the ailerons, I could go right to this maybe:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy895...9-rtf-24g.html
or this
http://www.bananahobby.com/camo-mini...5609-prd1.html

Also, I am not trying to be stubborn by saying this, but what about the Zero would be hard to repair? I know the parts are more expensive which is a downer, but are there also problems with this supplier not having parts?

At this moment, I have the financial ability to which I could buy about 2 planes a year. So I will do a lot of thinking before purchase. It would be great to be able to fly a scale model of my beloved 109, but baby steps would stop me from crashing it if I were to get it too soon lol.

I really appreciate all the advice.
Yeah
A wrong command while landing a rudder/elevator/motor model will just wind up with a "crooked landing" with perhaps no damage.

However, do a wrong aileron command on an aileron equipped model, and that model could roll upside down. By the time you've figured out what happened, splat .

This is the main reason other readers are recommending "Baby Steps". Don't know about some of the models listed above, but I've had aileron equipped models that can roll completely around several times in one second.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
kyleservicetech is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace
 
mattman0182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 307
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

I took the landing gear off the Champ, I just glide it down for a belly landing.

I guess I would not be able to do that with a 4-channel.

I really want to learn Ailerons though, because my main goal is to fly mostly German warbirds. Also one day a p-38, and F-86 ultimately.

I guess right now I should find the best plane with which to learn 4-channel.
Warbird does not look like the answer for that.

I am glad I found this forum, because websites would have me thinking something like this would be perfectly fine for a beginner :
http://www.bananahobby.com/camo-mini...5623-prd1.html
mattman0182 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #8
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome
 
DetroitHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,160
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
I really want to learn Ailerons l
This is not the difference of driving a stick, this is like taking the training wheels off, get some sim time in or you will lawn dart.

4-27-2006 Stryker B
6-05-2006 PKZ FW190 Brushless
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
3-28-2007 PKZ Spitfire Brushless
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
DetroitHawk is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace
 
mattman0182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 307
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
This is not the difference of driving a stick, this is like taking the training wheels off, get some sim time in or you will lawn dart.
My daily driver is a stick shift lol. But I cant drive a manual on a video game to save my life.



What sim do you recommend?
mattman0182 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
Brick
small Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marina Village, NC
Posts: 254
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (0)
Default

i learned aileron control from the Parkzone Ultra Micro Trojan T-28. it just came easy...and was Fun ! still have one & fly it around the yard

nothing to it, but to do it !
Brick is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace
 
mattman0182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 307
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

Originally Posted by Brick View Post
i learned aileron control from the Parkzone Ultra Micro Trojan T-28. it just came easy...and was Fun ! still have one & fly it around the yard
That may not be a bad idea. I may actually go with that. I was just thinking Zero since the two have a very similar design.

Did you crash a lot? What did you have before the Trojan?
mattman0182 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Panther
Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 259
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

You know your abilities so go for it. Most of the park fliers are hand launch and this is where most of the tragic prangs occur. Just watch Utube! Bad launch or stall or both. The Zero appeals to me too and if you do get a 109 make sure it has oversize tail feathers. Much easier to fly. Good luck to you.
Panther is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome
 
DetroitHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,160
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
My daily driver is a stick shift lol. But I cant drive a manual on a video game to save my life.



What sim do you recommend?
it's been quite a while since i learned to fly, i am sure there are new progs out, trust me even if it costs $50 it's cheaper than all the spare parts needed to fix your plane. Most of them come with a controller to practice orientation from the ground. Being about to roll the plane is going to change what you know about flying. Keep us posted with any questions, and take pictures (who doesn't like to see what we are talking about)

4-27-2006 Stryker B
6-05-2006 PKZ FW190 Brushless
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
3-28-2007 PKZ Spitfire Brushless
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
DetroitHawk is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome
 
DetroitHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,160
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
That may not be a bad idea. I may actually go with that. I was just thinking Zero since the two have a very similar design.

Did you crash a lot? What did you have before the Trojan?
flying wings are easier to fix and will teach you how to fly all of the warbirds like a pro.

4-27-2006 Stryker B
6-05-2006 PKZ FW190 Brushless
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
3-28-2007 PKZ Spitfire Brushless
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
DetroitHawk is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
hayofstacks
Super Contributor
 
hayofstacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,557
Thanked 115 Times in 114 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (5)
Default

Once YOU think your ready for the next step, all you can do is try.

I world reccomend finding a parkflyer type that uses the same sized batteries, and work your way rom there.

My first several flights with aleroins were very uneventful, and that was with a mini utra stick.

You could also add aleroins to your cub.
hayofstacks is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #16
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Thanked 300 Times in 294 Posts
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (168)
Default

Hi
A North American T-28 Trojan , Ryan PT 22 Recruit or a North American T6 Texan
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
kenchiroalpha is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
rcers
Community Moderator
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,201
View rcers's Gallery57
Thanked 502 Times in 492 Posts
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
iTrader: (4)
Friends: (9)
Default

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
I am obsessed with WWII aircraft, mainly those of the Luftwaffe. Especially the BF109.
From what I read, the German aircraft are generally not friendly to beginners as fresh as I lol.

I have almost made the decision to purchase the Airfield 800mm Zero from Nitroplanes. From what I read it seems as though this would be a good start. Thoughts?
I think you would be better served with the ParkZone T-28. It is really a wonderful plane and I will always have one in my hangar. They are that fantastic.

I too am a big fan of the German fighters. The ME109 is a particular beauty - but as you point out a stinker to fly. The German pilots cracked them up regularly. The narrow gear was pretty challenging even on the full scale. On models it is a flat handful.

So save those for later but get one for sure!

After the T-28 I really like the F4F Wildcat again from ParkZone. I have not flown the 800mm ships but do love the Alfa models (from Czechoslovakia) but they are VERY fragile (light but fragile). And parts are tough to get too since there is no longer a US importer.

So many great choices but once you have a couple down - any of the foamies should be fine.

After that the lager heavier balsa models required learning all over again about airpseed and the importance of that. All the park type foamies are pretty well behaved.

Have fun - crash a bit - and fly warbirds!

Mike
rcers is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #18
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor
 
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 4,431
Thanked 490 Times in 456 Posts
Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (8)
Default

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the Parkzone Corsair is to fly. It's very stable, as stable as most trainers in fact. It has more wing area than most warbirds so slows up nicely. If you want an easy to fly WWII warbird then that would be hard to beat IMHO (though the Wildcat might run it close).

The T-28 is great too, but not WWII vintage of course.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #19
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace
 
mattman0182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 307
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

I actually like Hellcats a lot but it seems as though nobody makes one. The Wildcat would be a finalist for me for my next plane, but as with most Horizon products, it is priced above my other choices. That is if someone does not want to sell me one used.

Right now im down to the T-28 micro from Horizon, the Zero from Airfield, Stryker, and probably a couple more.

Once I get good: 109 here I come!

Once I get really really good: ME-262 and F-86. Hey I can dream.
mattman0182 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #20
Brick
small Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marina Village, NC
Posts: 254
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (0)
Talking

I have 3 of the FMS planes from Banana Hobby. they are nice flyers. the BF109 ain't a bad deal...plus you get the Free Shipping

plus...they seem to have all the replacement parts available !


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1588.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	165030   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1781.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	165031  

nothing to it, but to do it !
Brick is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #21
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace
 
mattman0182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 307
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

They don't look like you fly them lol. I wont jump right to a 109 just to destroy it on maiden flight lol.

Is the FMS Trojan any harder to fly than the Horizon?
mattman0182 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #22
Brick
small Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marina Village, NC
Posts: 254
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (0)
Default

man...i always take a before pic !!! if you want the carnage pics....got some of those too

nothing to it, but to do it !
Brick is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #23
rcers
Community Moderator
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,201
View rcers's Gallery57
Thanked 502 Times in 492 Posts
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
iTrader: (4)
Friends: (9)
Default

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
I actually like Hellcats a lot but it seems as though nobody makes one. The Wildcat would be a finalist for me for my next plane, but as with most Horizon products, it is priced above my other choices. That is if someone does not want to sell me one used.

Right now im down to the T-28 micro from Horizon, the Zero from Airfield, Stryker, and probably a couple more.

Once I get good: 109 here I come!

Once I get really really good: ME-262 and F-86. Hey I can dream.
No you can get Hellcats.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Motor_ESC.html

The Micro T-28 is very easy to fly - but I would recommend the larger one for more wind and it will teach you about landing a bit faster.

The Stryker - is not a warbird. It is several steps up and I really don't think they make good 2nd airplanes, unless you think/react very quickly.

Mike
rcers is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #24
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace
 
mattman0182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 307
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
No you can get Hellcats.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Motor_ESC.html

The Micro T-28 is very easy to fly - but I would recommend the larger one for more wind and it will teach you about landing a bit faster.

The Stryker - is not a warbird. It is several steps up and I really don't think they make good 2nd airplanes, unless you think/react very quickly.

Mike
Wow lol Yea I figured something a little larger would be easier because it is less fidgety and perhaps more stable. Perhaps 800MM would still be to small? I want basically a park flyer because of the areas I have available in which to fly.

Not to get on another subject.. but would the receiver from the Champ fit this? Wont be my next plane...but would be a cool project. It says a 3 Channel plane. Wonder if that is rudder or ailerons.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17945

Again, I really appreciate the help from all of you guys.
mattman0182 is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
rcers
Community Moderator
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,201
View rcers's Gallery57
Thanked 502 Times in 492 Posts
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
iTrader: (4)
Friends: (9)
Default

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
Wow lol Yea I figured something a little larger would be easier because it is less fidgety and perhaps more stable. Perhaps 800MM would still be to small? I want basically a park flyer because of the areas I have available in which to fly.

Not to get on another subject.. but would the receiver from the Champ fit this? Wont be my next plane...but would be a cool project. It says a 3 Channel plane. Wonder if that is rudder or ailerons.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17945

Again, I really appreciate the help from all of you guys.
The larger the plane (generally) the easier to fly/see. But when you are limited in space the UM is likely your best short. They are so light they don't damage themselves in a crash.

No the Champ receiver will not really fit that 109 well. They have affordable receivers that will work well.

Here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Sat_Port_.html

It is all of $6. Great if you use Spektrum equipment. I have not flown that plane but it will take a bit of skill for sure.

Mike
rcers is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Ba 349. A scale foamy pusher parkflyer warbird! quorneng Warbird Electrics 59 08-22-2011 11:41 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.47843 seconds with 73 queries