Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #26
hoghead5150

Friends: (2)

one of the biggest concerns (for me anyway) is the availability of spare parts. i'm new to flying also and i know a crash is going to happen. when it does, can i get spare parts to fix the plane or am i going to be waiting months for parts to become available. this usually rules out nitroplanes, banana, and most hobbyking planes.

the parkzone t-28 is an excellent flying plane. parts are easy to get, everybody has one (another good sign), and the overall plane is tough. it flies well straight out of the box so you don't have to go into modifications right from the start.

once you (me included) get better at flying then the other brands of planes open up. when crashing becomes less and less the need for spare parts becomes less and less.

for me the parkzone wildcat doesn't appeal due to not having landing gear. sure you can belly land the plane, but real planes don't belly land (unless there is a problem). ya gotta learn to land a plane as this is part of flying.

while the micros are alot of fun (i have a couple) they are very sensitive to wind. if it's blowing, they are grounded. i've flown the um t-28 and um corsair in 5-7mph wind but it's not really fun, just controlled chaos. the newer line of umx planes with the as3x gyros in them are a whole different story.

if you think your skills are up to the challenge, i would go with a parkzone brand (think spare parts) and the t-28 is hard to beat. the corsair is another good choice.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
It says a 3 Channel plane. Wonder if that is rudder or ailerons.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17945
It's aileron and elevator and throttle. It's not uncommon for these small warbirds to dispense with the rudder. They don't have landing gear so don't need rudder to steer on the ground, and the target audience tend to be 'bank and yank' fun flyers. I'd leave it a while before you tackle something like that though, they can be tricky to fly.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

I would love to have a standard park size plane, that is a goal of mine.

But right now I am leaning heavily towards the UM T28 from horizon. It is less than half the cost of the park sized variant. I plan to order some extra parts along with it as well.

I just hope that if I go with the UM, I don't regret not getting the park size. I just believe the UM will be more cost effective to learn on. As pointed out, it will also take less damage in a crash. But could be harder to fly?

I am still thinking but that is how I am currently leaning.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #29
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I'd go for a larger model without question. The UM's are ok but the bigger models just fly better in every way and are easier too fly if you pick the right model. Novices seem to think that small models should be easier to fly than the larger ones but the opposite is usually true. You will also fly more often with a bigger plane because it will cope with wind much better. ok the parkflyer size planes might cost twice as much but they are three times the plane.
I dont think there is much in it as far survivability is concerned, both are foamies so can take a few crashes. The UM's may be a little more crash proof but tend to crash much more often. In my experience my smaller models always get busted up quicker than the bigger stuff.

I'm not intending to knock UM's. I've got a couple and they are fun but if I had to have only one it would be something bigger.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #30
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I'd go for a larger model without question. The UM's are ok but the bigger models just fly better in every way and are easier too fly if you pick the right model. Novices seem to think that small models should be easier to fly than the larger ones but the opposite is usually true. You will also fly more often with a bigger plane because it will cope with wind much better. ok the parkflyer size planes might cost twice as much but they are three times the plane.
I dont think there is much in it as far survivability is concerned, both are foamies so can take a few crashes. The UM's may be a little more crash proof but tend to crash much more often. In my experience my smaller models always get busted up quicker than the bigger stuff.

I'm not intending to knock UM's. I've got a couple and they are fun but if I had to have only one it would be something bigger.
Hmmmm What is something that would be similar to the Horizon T-28? Their products are almost all priced well above the competition. When I get good ill spend that kind of money on a 109. But just for learning Im being kind of cheap as far as the aircraft goes. Is there anything with similar qualities to their T-28 but that is in a lower price bracket?

What about this bird here? A bit too advanced probably.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...sic-EFL6175#t3
Old 12-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #31
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Just saw this thing and the price is right.

Should this beat out the PZ UM T-28 on my short list? Or should I not take a chance on it?
http://www.bananahobby.com/mini-a1-s...html#navImages
Old 12-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #32
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

anyway you shop,keep replacement parts being avaiable as very important.

the horizone is a small plane that appears to be very nicely built with a plastic cowel which looks great. might be a hand full for a beginer pilot.i watched the video and they flew it tame for the audiance....real life might provee different.

the banana plane looks nice and is foam through and through,so any nose ins will need repairing,but theres also a part list for repairs.

any way you go ,consider the first costs of the purchase and then the repairs. not to discourage you from using banana hobby,but they sent me the wrong edf when i ordered a stinger from them....but after a few phone calls and some strange shipping issues they resolved my order and did so with curtousy and in a fairly quick resolve. i believe they are trying to erase a bad imagage from the past,but still have a ways to go to get there.the price i paid was the very best of any other stinger in other online shops. best of luck with your flight and do post results of the maiden so we can all learn.stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #33
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Thank you! Another way to look at it is the more money save on the plane itself, the more replacement parts I can purchase along with it.

I hate to keep posting links to planes, but I trust the judgment of you more experienced people than I trust my own judgment. I found this Texan, which if is true to scale, should make a decent trainer.

http://www.bananahobby.com/yellow-at...5678-prd1.html

and FMS Texan here
http://www.bananahobby.com/mini-t6-t...1.html#bh_logo
Old 12-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #34
Butter

Friends: (0)

I learned ailerons on a PZ UM T-28(still have one), I later flew my buddies larger PZ T-28 and the larger one is a lot easier to fly IMO...Very stable and easy to fly,it can also be belly landed.

The only thing I don't like about the UM T-28 is that the brushed motor doesn't last long, I had 20 flights on it when the first motor went out.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #35
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Yea i know what you mean. The motor is gone in my champ. So i have nothing to fly right now. :/
Old 12-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #36
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

of the 2 planes at banana you last posted.the first one was a brushed motor. i'd stay away from that.

the fms looked really nice. don't leave us hanging man...whats the decision,or are you still surfing the online stores and causing your head to spin...lol......i can't begin to say how much time i'll spend researching rc stuff before hitting the pay now button...

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #37
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

That is exactly what i am doinh lol. That brushed plane is attractive though because i am loving the price.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #38
hoghead5150

Banana hobby and nitro planes are not really designed for beginners. Replacement parts are hard to get and any other support you might need is not there. This is the reason park zone costs more. Spend the money and get a plane that will fly right out of the box, and have replacement parts readily available. Once you get better at flying, that is when the cheaper plane become a better choice add you will have the skills to fix the flight problems these planes have.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #39
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
Banana hobby and nitro planes are not really designed for beginners. Replacement parts are hard to get and any other support you might need is not there. This is the reason park zone costs more. Spend the money and get a plane that will fly right out of the box, and have replacement parts readily available. Once you get better at flying, that is when the cheaper plane become a better choice add you will have the skills to fix the flight problems these planes have.
If I were to go with a Parkzone itwould have to be the UM T28. The only other one of theirs i may consider is the Wildcat. They are literally about double the price of the competition.

The UM T28 would be tricky to fly anyway because it is a UM. Normally, if scale is near correct, Texans should all be mostly stable.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #40
hoghead5150

You really need to do some research, most of the Texan models are far from stable. Rc dies not really carry the traits of their full size versions. Since it sounds like you have your mind made up to go with cheap planes, and with vendors like banana and nitro planes, i would suggest you start reading the planes so you will know all the things your going to have to modify, fix, and replace before you even fly the plane.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #41
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

If I were to go with a Parkzone itwould have to be the UM T28. The only other one of theirs i may consider is the Wildcat. They are literally about double the price of the competition.
And worth every penny - they fly well and you can get parts for them.

Cheap is cheap.

...Normally, if scale is near correct, Texans should all be mostly stable.
Nope - sadly the scale Texans are not the easiest planes to fly. The eFlight is an excellent example of that. Remember the Texan was not a primary trainer. It served its purpose well of creating a "large" step up so they could then progress on to fly the warbirds.

Mike
Old 12-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #42
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

If I were to go Parkzone,my only option is the T28 Um BNF. Are they not harder to fly than the cheaper larger birds of other brands? Believe me I am doing a lot of thinking before purchase.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #43
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

No it is not. The best thing is it light - like the champ and makes it less prone to destroy itself in a crash.

The issue is - wind. That is why I recommend the larger T-28 as it can handle more wind and will teach you more about flying and reacting faster.

Mike
Old 12-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #44
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
No it is not. The best thing is it light - like the champ and makes it less prone to destroy itself in a crash.

The issue is - wind. That is why I recommend the larger T-28 as it can handle more wind and will teach you more about flying and reacting faster.

Mike
I wish lol. The larger 28 by Horizon is just too expensive. I could stretch it for the Wildcat if I had to. If it must be Horizon, it must be the UM. Unless I can get the larger one used, which likely wont happen.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #45
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

If price is an issue, and you are learning to fly, a stryker skinned in clear packing tape will allow you to smash the ground at 30 mph and it still fly. I have videos of people learning on my stryker and bouncing it 10feet in the air on a nosedive and it flew less than 5 minutes later. I am not saying to crash planes, but the reality is getting something easy to fix that will teach you all the "bank and yank" you will need to know, THEN buy any of these nice warbirds with the knowledge that you won't break any of them. A hard landing on many of these warbirds will cost $$$ and even if you manage to fix the plane they never really fly correctly again.

just my opinion.

4-27-2006 Stryker B
6-05-2006 PKZ FW190 Brushless
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
3-28-2007 PKZ Spitfire Brushless
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 AM   #46
Brick
small Member

we haven't even mentioned the Parkzone UM Spitfire with the AS3X !!!

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...rodID=PKZU2180

forgot about this..i have the MIG 15 EDF Jet with the AS3X gyro...

nothing to it, but to do it !
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #47
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by Brick View Post
we haven't even mentioned the Parkzone UM Spitfire with the AS3X !!!

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...rodID=PKZU2180

forgot about this..i have the MIG 15 EDF Jet with the AS3X gyro...
Wouldn't it be much harder to learn on that than the Trojan? And could I apply what I learn on that to a larger aircraft when I get one?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:00 AM   #48
Brick
small Member

the AS3X gyro makes everything less twitchy..especially with a little wind. then you can concentrate more on learning the aileron, elevator & rudder movements. if you make a little mistake, it kinda corrects itself to a level flying situation

if you want to learn the UM Trojan route....you would be a step ahead for sure . the AS3X is just a little more forgiving + it's less stressful for just fun flying

we are just making it more confusing now

i myself say...get the UM Trojan...get it up in the air ....then try things ! if you get in trouble , you can pretty much let go of the throttle...it will glide down with a little help from you the elevator & aileron control...easy

Old 12-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #49
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by Brick View Post
the AS3X gyro makes everything less twitchy..especially with a little wind. then you can concentrate more on learning the aileron, elevator & rudder movements. if you make a little mistake, it kinda corrects itself to a level flying situation

if you want to learn the UM Trojan route....you would be a step ahead for sure . the AS3X is just a little more forgiving + it's less stressful for just fun flying

we are just making it more confusing now

i myself say...get the UM Trojan...get it up in the air ....then try things ! if you get in trouble , you can pretty much let go of the throttle...it will glide down with a little help from you
You may have just sold me on the Spitfire. I wan't something bigger eventually, but I do not want to spend over 150 on a plane I am just going to be training on. Plus, I'd be able to use the Spit at any random school ballfield i go to. It would be ironic since I have hated Spits my whole life (big 109 fan). But this little Spit is beautiful.

My next question: Would it work with that little DSM2 that came with the Champ?

My only other transmitter is an old green Parkzone that says 5-AP and uses the crystal system much like my nitro vehicles.

I mean I trust you guys when you caution me about Banana and NitroPlanes. Yea I can get a larger plane for the same price. But I trust you that they are not noob friendly.

I am seriously considering this Spit.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #50
Brick
small Member

to fly the Spitfire, probably gonna have to upgrade your TX !!! the tx for the Champ is dsm2 3 channel. the Spitfire is gonna be 4 channel.

if you get more involved into the plane thing, your gonna have to have a GOOD radio transmitter.

that in itself is a whole new thing !

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics