Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
LowThudd

Friends: (0)
Default F4U for first RC?

Hello! First post!

I have no real RC aircraft experience. I have used Flight sims on computer though.

I am fairly certain that I know what the answer will be, but I am interested in getting into electric RC with a Corsair model. These are the two I am looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-55-2-4G...item19d4f35314

And possibly: http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a302-80...y-rtf-24g.html

Please don't talk me out of it unless you really need too. lol

Other non-trainer I am interested in A-10s: http://www.rctopshop.com/en/dynam-4c...pnp-green.html

I am really only interested in flying Military aircraft, so I am thinking in those terms. Any suggestions along those lines would be much appreciated.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Should you? NO!

Can you? Um, possibly. But the odds are against you. Do you have a knowledgeable RC flier to help you? If not, you are more than likely setting yourself up for frustration.

Look at it this way - No fighter pilot ever trained in an F4U as their first plane. In WWII, they started with the Stearman Kaydet, moved up to the T-6 Texan (or SNJ - same plane), then progressed to more advanced airplanes. Flying RC is no different.

Don't look at your first plane as your destination. Look at your first plane as an important step toward getting where you need to be.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 12-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
I agree 100% with the previous post, start with a high wing trainer as you will learn the skills and gain the muscle memory far quicker and easier so that when you move on up to the more demanding mid and low wing aircraft it will be much easier to attain the next set of skills needed to fly them successfully
Best wishes with your flight training
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 12-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
LowThudd

Thanks. Would something like this be easier for a newb to pick up on? http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-AIRPLANE-...item231ec89c76

Would a t-6 model be too much to start on in your opinion? I see RTFs of that model quite reasonably priced.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
Thanks. Would something like this be easier for a newb to pick up on? http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-AIRPLANE-...item231ec89c76

Would a t-6 model be too much to start on in your opinion? I see RTFs of that model quite reasonably priced.
Hi
A high wing trainer is the prefered choice as they are self correcting to a degree making it far easier for the novice to learn on a stable and foregiving platform
Mid and low wings planes have to be flown at all times and give the novice no room for mistakes
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
LowThudd

OK. I am understanding better now. Will any high wing 'craft work? Or must it necessarily be a trainer? There are some military(cargo type) that I have interest in.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
earthsciteach

Top choice for first plane:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...sm-rtf-HBZ7400
Second choice: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ft_Radio_.html

Old 12-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
LowThudd

That Bixler does look interesting. Maybe I will look into that. I really am only interested in Military craft, but if I must go trainer I must.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

OK. I am understanding better now. Will any high wing 'craft work? Or must it necessarily be a trainer? There are some military(cargo type) that I have interest in.
Hi
High wing aircraft that have a good amount of dihedral make for the best trainers
Relevant info can be found here
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20726
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 12-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
earthsciteach

My first RC plane was the HZ Cub that I posted. This is an awesome plane. What makes it so awesome is that it is easily upgraded from the stock version to a much higher performing airplane. And, as far as warbirds go, mine is painted up like an L-4 Grasshopper with invasions stripes.

It is a real workhorse. I can carry plenty of ordinance (nerf gun darts, flower bombs). Also, it is still one on my favorite planes to fly. More fun than many warbirds!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Hello! First post!

I have no real RC aircraft experience. I have used Flight sims on computer though.

I am fairly certain that I know what the answer will be, but I am interested in getting into electric RC with a Corsair model. These are the two I am looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-55-2-4G...item19d4f35314

And possibly: http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a302-80...y-rtf-24g.html

Please don't talk me out of it unless you really need too. lol

Other non-trainer I am interested in A-10s: http://www.rctopshop.com/en/dynam-4c...pnp-green.html

I am really only interested in flying Military aircraft, so I am thinking in those terms. Any suggestions along those lines would be much appreciated.
Yeah, I'm in agreement with the others in this post. Don't Do It!!!!

The average lifespan of an acrobatic model in the hands of a person with little or no experience with them would be measured in seconds, or perhaps if you are lucky, a minute or two.

If you can find a local club, and work with an experienced RC pilot with a master/slave type of transmitters you'd have a much better chance of success. (They call this a trainer model where the experienced pilot has control of the model, and gives control to the student by flipping a switch on the master transmitter. If the student has problems, the instructor regains control of the model by releasing that trainer switch.)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
My first RC plane was the HZ Cub that I posted. This is an awesome plane. What makes it so awesome is that it is easily upgraded from the stock version to a much higher performing airplane. And, as far as warbirds go, mine is painted up like an L-4 Grasshopper with invasions stripes.

It is a real workhorse. I can carry plenty of ordinance (nerf gun darts, flower bombs). Also, it is still one on my favorite planes to fly. More fun than many warbirds!
Hi
They are a great plane for the novice as well as the more experianced
I keep a mini super cub around for a lazy days flight
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supercub2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	165045   Click image for larger version

Name:	supercub1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	165046   Click image for larger version

Name:	super cub.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	165047  

Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

The only plane I have flown thus far is the Horizon Champ, which is just a mini cub. The thing is stupid tough, and you don't need a large park in which to fly it.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

If you're at all "handy" you might want to consider scratch building a Dollar Tree foam trainer. There is a plethora of good designs and free plans out there.

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
LowThudd

OK, hopefully this one will qualify for a "Beginer" as it says: http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detai...p?ID=200485191

What do you think? The price is good, it's a large craft(yea), and a high wing mount. Does have some dihedral, yet still has a realistic appearance.

Another I really like is this ARF: http://www.chiefaircraft.com/efl-5025.html Has a nice appearance and military history.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

That eflight plane might work, but let me let you in on a seceret...

Scale planes fly like crap... there designed to carry people. Not fly well. They are larger, heavier, and fly worse then the same plane, not done to scale.

Get yourself a cheap trainer or foam plane that you can glue together, then don't worry about the way it looks till you get a good idea of what your doing.

It would be a shame to see a nice new and shiny expensive warbird smashed on the first flight.

Just my honest and humble opinion.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #17
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

LowThudd - you are not alone. Everyone wants to fly a cool scale WW2 fighter or Jet. But guess what - those are for a bit later.

The good news you can do them - later! Airplanes are great fun but you need to train before you try them.

A great plane to start is the HobbyZone Champ or the two listed in post 7 above.

The L-4 is not great either - sorry! You will be able to manage those soon but get your feet wet with a slow easy to react too first.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #18
LowThudd

Thank you guys for having patience with me.

One more try: http://www.parkflyers.com/Versa_Hybr...rc-electri.htm

Now THIS 'craft I seriously like! Looks from the video that it flys slow well, and is FAST also. I know sometime Sharper Image stuff can be junkie, but this looks like a decent deal on a fun plane. What'cha think?
Old 12-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #19
LowThudd

Well, for better or worse, I got the Versa I mentioned above. It was on sale on eBay for $150 and I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully this will work as a trainer for me.

Thanks for steering towards something more stable than what I was looking at.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:30 AM   #20
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

Well, for better or worse, I got the Versa I mentioned above. It was on sale on eBay for $150 and I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully this will work as a trainer for me.

Thanks for steering towards something more stable than what I was looking at.
Good luck with it! I hope they have spare parts available because you are going to need them. Heck, even the best of pilots need them.

I am in a similar boat with you. Have been flying an ultramicro Champ trainer for almost a year. But I need to take a baby step before going right to a warbird. So I am still deciding what to buy.

Post updates when you get it and fly it and such!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #21
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Friends: (16)

I'd love to hear how the maiden goes. 3 or 4 time a week a new pilot asks the same question regarding war birds as a first plane.

from the quick skim thru these posts i see visual of the aircraft is very important to you. we all feel this way when starting out. but the truth is a first plane has some simple build characteristic for a good reason...easy to fly,easy to repair ,easy to fly and repair again. you get the picture.

once skills improve the sky's the limit as to what to buy and fly without fearing the deadly crash.

what you bought looks very cool and has the land/sea option. but one hard hit and your repairing skills will have to grow quicker than your piloting skills. get a foam trainer first and beat the cr.p out of it making dumb thumb mistakes. my first real plane was a plastic fuse /foam wing skyfly and man did it take a huge beating at my flying it. bottom line,it's how i taught myself to fly in the ball parks around where i live.

save the bird you just bought and get a trainer ,then enjoy those touch and gos off water.... but do post the results of your maiden and supply pictures,lots of newbees can leaarn from your experience.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #22
LowThudd

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
I'd love to hear how the maiden goes. 3 or 4 time a week a new pilot asks the same question regarding war birds as a first plane.

from the quick skim thru these posts i see visual of the aircraft is very important to you. we all feel this way when starting out. but the truth is a first plane has some simple build characteristic for a good reason...easy to fly,easy to repair ,easy to fly and repair again. you get the picture.

once skills improve the sky's the limit as to what to buy and fly without fearing the deadly crash.

what you bought looks very cool and has the land/sea option. but one hard hit and your repairing skills will have to grow quicker than your piloting skills. get a foam trainer first and beat the cr.p out of it making dumb thumb mistakes. my first real plane was a plastic fuse /foam wing skyfly and man did it take a huge beating at my flying it. bottom line,it's how i taught myself to fly in the ball parks around where i live.

save the bird you just bought and get a trainer ,then enjoy those touch and gos off water.... but do post the results of your maiden and supply pictures,lots of newbees can leaarn from your experience.
Well, it is EPO foam, so it *should* be somewhat durable. Who knows. I am good with repairs as needed. I am thinking that the pusher prop should at least keep the prop safe when dorked. Will take pics. lol
Old 12-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #23
LowThudd

Oh, and there are spares available for decent prices: http://www.parkflyers.com/category_s/143.htm
Old 12-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #24
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Friends: (16)

i saw the spare parts avaiable and thats great!!! your going to love rc flying and i bet the top notch warbird is in the very near future for ya.

one other thing i meant to say......welcome to the wattflyer family!!!...lol....

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)
Default Maiden

[QUOTE=LowThudd;893216]Well, for better or worse, I got the Versa I mentioned above. It was on sale on eBay for $150 and I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully this will work as a trainer for me.

Thudd

Don't forget to advise us how the
maiden went! A maiden video would
be nice.

Good Luck
Jimmy

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners