Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
kidhickey

Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (1)
Default Balancing Brushless motors???

Can some one help me out, I have always balanced my props, and never heard of balancing my motors untill I read it online some where,?? forgot where?? So my question is, DOES Anyone do this or does it have to be done??? and if it has to be done, How do you do it???
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by kidhickey View Post
Can some one help me out, I have always balanced my props, and never heard of balancing my motors untill I read it online some where,?? forgot where?? So my question is, DOES Anyone do this or does it have to be done??? and if it has to be done, How do you do it???
Naw, any quality brushless motor should be near perfectly balanced, right out of the box.

If you're curious, just run the motor at speeds from zero to full RPM without a prop. Any out of balance would be obvious, and cause to return that motor to the supplier.

I've been using the APC-E electric props, have never had to balance any of them either, and my prop supply fills a pretty good sized box.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Balancing the motor is usually only done with high RPM setups. EDF is a good example. There are smartphone apps that make use of the phone's accelerometer to graphically display vibration. The phone is secured to the airplane or test stand, the motor is run up and the vibration noted. Tape is applied to the motor can and the test is repeated. You do this over and over; moving the tape, adding or subtracting until the vibration of the motor or motor/rotor combo is reduced.

It can make an EDF much smoother. Once you get over around 6" diameter prop, the balance of the prop swamps any vibration from the motor itself.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
copterrichie

Friends: (0)

Well, I have balanced a few of my motors not because they required it, but because I wanted to remove as much jelly from my aerial videos. With this said, most of the time, if there is a problem with a brushless motor, it is due to a bent shaft. If this is not the case, second cause is something wrong with one of the magnets or there is some excess amount of glue inside the Bell. If these conditions are non-existing, then balancing the Bell is the final option. Many Guys use tape or finger-nail polish to add weight to the low side of the bell. I built this low tech device that works similar to a prop balancer. I also opted to remove material from the heavy side of the bell BUT I do not suggest this method. You can not go back once done.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110009.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	165077
Old 12-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by copterrichie View Post
I also opted to remove material from the heavy side of the bell BUT I do not suggest this method. You can not go back once done.
IMHO, removing metal from the bell would not be a good thing. These motors use very high powered magnets, and removing metal from the magnet support shell could affect motor performance.

DennyV
Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
copterrichie

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
IMHO, removing metal from the bell would not be a good thing. These motors use very high powered magnets, and removing metal from the magnet support shell could affect motor performance.
The amount of metal removed is VERY Small however as stated, I do not suggest others to do it, I did because this is how we did in years ago. We also drilled small holes to remove metal from the heavy side.

Also, not every motor is a candidate for metal removal, so in some aspects I agree with you. The motors I own are good for this procedure.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by copterrichie View Post
The amount of metal removed is VERY Small however as stated, I do not suggest others to do it, I did because this is how we did in years ago. We also drilled small holes to remove metal from the heavy side.

Also, not every motor is a candidate for metal removal, so in some aspects I agree with you. The motors I own are good for this procedure.
Sounds good. For the other readers out there, one issue to watch for is where that drilling stuff goes. Remember, you're dealing with nearby powerful magnets, that will attract anything loose nearby.

DennyV
Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
copterrichie

LOL, use Finger nail polish if removing metal is too hard.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720
Friends: (8)

I've seen people use a zip tie around the bell to dynamically balance for stuff with gyro's like multi rotors and FPV stuff like copterritchie said already (gyro's do not like any vibe!). Seems like it works pretty good. I think flite test on you tube has a video on it or it was in a video they did...I can't remember.

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
kidhickey

Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (1)

thanks for all the replys and info, I did find a couple on you tube, I am going to try the one with the mirror and laser beam ? Laser pointer $ 2.45 E-Bay, Mirror $ 1.00 Dollar store, 1 paint stirrer Free, Auto Parts Store

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners